• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Aftermarket Wheels Options with Brembo BBK

Hi All,

I'm looking for a set of 18/19 wheels. Need to clear Brembo BBK (front and rear). I'd like to avoid using spacers and I'm also open to a 17/18 setup since it seems tires may be easier to come by. I'm just not happy with the wheels mine came with. It seems that all the designs I like won't fit due to the Brembos (BBS LMs are my fav).

I would also also like to avoid spending a lot on these so I'm even open to a used set. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

TIA!

What do you plan to do with them? Obviously you're going for looks, but do you want flush? Hellaflush? Street/drivable?

My recommendation for wheel sizing would be:
18x8 +38 front with 215/35/18
19x9.5 +30 to +25 rear with 265/30/19 or 275/30/19

These wheels will give the most flush look while minimizing any rubbing issues.

As for clearance, you need a wheel with a "High Disk" option. Volk, Rays, and WORK wheels all have wheels with these options. High Disk or High Pad puts additional pad material behind the hub area, giving more clearance in the spoke areas. Some manufacturers even go so far as to modify the spoke design to accommodate the calipers (this is usually seen as "concave" wheels and is usually distinguished with a "Face 1" or "Face 2" option in the spec sheet).

What do you plan to do with them? Obviously you're going for looks, but do you want flush? Hellaflush? Street/drivable?

My recommendation for wheel sizing would be:
18x8 +38 front with 215/35/18
19x9.5 +30 to +25 rear with 265/30/19 or 275/30/19

These wheels will give the most flush look while minimizing any rubbing issues.

As for clearance, you need a wheel with a "High Disk" option. Volk, Rays, and WORK wheels all have wheels with these options. High Disk or High Pad puts additional pad material behind the hub area, giving more clearance in the spoke areas. Some manufacturers even go so far as to modify the spoke design to accommodate the calipers (this is usually seen as "concave" wheels and is usually distinguished with a "Face 1" or "Face 2" option in the spec sheet).

Thanks for the detailed response. After much research, I have decided to go with a set of Rays 57 Xtreme wheels in a 18x7.5/19x9.5 setup. They will require 5mm spacers but the offsets are much different from what you state above (+40 front and +43 rear). I would like to go with 215/35/18 and 275/30/19 tires. Will this setup work?

Will I need to roll the fenders if my car is lowered 1.5"?

Should I expect any scraping while going over bumps or full lock turns?

Also, for these wheels, center caps are sold separately. I would rather have the red Honda center caps but don't know if these are a universal size or if I would have to get them made.

Those wheels will work but may not be ideal.
The fronts are good. I wouldn't recommend the 19x9.5 +43 if you're going to be using a spacer. If you want 19x9.5 you should be getting the +35 offset or +25 offset instead. You should also consider the 19x10.5 +43 (Face 3) which offers a more concave face than the 19x9.5 (Face 2).

The official website has a great visual that will show you the differences. Note that a 19x9.5 +35 is written as "19x9 1/2J 35"

https://www.rayswheels.co.jp/products/wheel.php?lang=en&wheel=57EX_SP

19x9.5 +35
MP199535.jpg

19x10 +43
MP190543.jpg

Attachments

• MP199525.jpg
    MP199525.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 93
  • MP190543.jpg
    MP190543.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I, too, prefer the bigger size. Just seemed that my tire choices were very limited. But I will go with your recommendation.

- - - Updated - - -

What tire sizes would you recommend for the 18x7.5 and 19x10.5 setup?

Jeff did these wheels too. His specs are:
18x8.5" +45 front, 19x10.5" +35 rear RAYS Gram Lights 57Xtreme wheels; 215/35ZR18 front, 275/30R19 rear Bridgestone RE760 tires; Muteki lug nuts. I've seen his car in person and the tires are stretched.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1412-1991-acura-nsx-dream-car/

SOS recommends 285/30/19 or 295/30/19 with the 19x10.5 but that may cause the TCS problems. I would call SOS with their recommendation.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/rays-57xtreme-wheels.html

Jeff did these wheels too. His specs are:
18x8.5" +45 front, 19x10.5" +35 rear RAYS Gram Lights 57Xtreme wheels; 215/35ZR18 front, 275/30R19 rear Bridgestone RE760 tires; Muteki lug nuts. I've seen his car in person and the tires are stretched.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/features/1412-1991-acura-nsx-dream-car/

SOS recommends 285/30/19 or 295/30/19 with the 19x10.5 but that may cause the TCS problems. I would call SOS with their recommendation.
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/rays-57xtreme-wheels.html

I ordered these wheels in 18x7.5 (+40 offset) and 19x10.5 (+43 offset) yesterday based on your previous response. I also ordered 215/35/18 and 275/30/19 Sumitomo tires from TireRack this morning. However, a TireRack rep called me and said they don't recommend these tire sizes. He suggested going with 225/35/18 front and 275/30/19 rear, but he also doesn't think going with a 10.5" width on the rear will work. He suggested I change my rear wheel order to 19x9.5. I told him to hold off on my order and that I would get back to him.

While I'm making changes, I think i'll go ahead and go with the 19x9.5 (+35 offset) for the rear. Just not sure about the front. I don't want any fender lining rubbing issues while turning.

I ordered these wheels in 18x7.5 (+40 offset) and 19x10.5 (+43 offset) yesterday based on your previous response. I also ordered 215/35/18 and 275/30/19 Sumitomo tires from TireRack this morning. However, a TireRack rep called me and said they don't recommend these tire sizes. He suggested going with 225/35/18 front and 275/30/19 rear, but he also doesn't think going with a 10.5" width on the rear will work. He suggested I change my rear wheel order to 19x9.5. I told him to hold off on my order and that I would get back to him.

While I'm making changes, I think i'll go ahead and go with the 19x9.5 (+35 offset) for the rear. Just not sure about the front. I don't want any fender lining rubbing issues while turning.

18x7.5 +40 with 215/35/18 ONLY. - DO NOT LISTEN TO TIRERACK, they are wrong. A 225 will cause TCS issues and rubbing problems.
19x9.5 +35 with a 265/30/19 or 275/30/19.

18x7.5 +40 with 215/35/18 ONLY. - DO NOT LISTEN TO TIRERACK, they are wrong. A 225 will cause TCS issues and rubbing problems.
19x9.5 +35 with a 265/30/19 or 275/30/19.

Thank you, Adrian. Your input is much appreciated. I will trust your judgement and go with the above recommended sizes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm back to looking for new wheels. Turns out that no one has the 57xtreme wheels in stock for the sizes I want. They need to be ordered from Japan and it could take anywhere from 2 to 6 months.

I will have to go for a totally different set of wheels now. So bummed.

Wondered if anyone had an opinion on this, between BCForged and Rays Gram Lights 57Xtreme which would be a better offset suitability, higher quality, more concavity and durable wheel?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, Adrian. Your input is much appreciated. I will trust your judgement and go with the above recommended sizes.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm back to looking for new wheels. Turns out that no one has the 57xtreme wheels in stock for the sizes I want. They need to be ordered from Japan and it could take anywhere from 2 to 6 months.

I will have to go for a totally different set of wheels now. So bummed.

That's typical of most Japanese wheels. Did you try contacting ScienceOfSpeed? The usually stock many NSX specific wheels..

- - - Updated - - -

Wondered if anyone had an opinion on this, between BCForged and Rays Gram Lights 57Xtreme which would be a better offset suitability, higher quality, more concavity and durable wheel?

Completely different wheels. Rays Gram Lights are a high quality Japanese wheel but they are Cast. They are manufactured in set offsets. BC forged wheels are custom made to order. Depending on the design they can have almost any offset or concavity. They are also forged wheels. BC Forged would therefore be better in almost every way except cost and name recognition.

That's typical of most Japanese wheels. Did you try contacting ScienceOfSpeed? The usually stock many NSX specific wheels..

- - - Updated - - -

Completely different wheels. Rays Gram Lights are a high quality Japanese wheel but they are Cast. They are manufactured in set offsets. BC forged wheels are custom made to order. Depending on the design they can have almost any offset or concavity. They are also forged wheels. BC Forged would therefore be better in almost every way except cost and name recognition.

Sounds like you have comparatively shopped -- what is the price difference, ballpark?

[MENTION=11581]Hapa88[/MENTION] Jeff at SoS did come through for me. I didn't get the finishe I wanted but at least I got the wheels. Went with 18x7.5 and 19x10.5. Had to get Falken FK453 tires.

[MENTION=11581]Hapa88[/MENTION] Jeff at SoS did come through for me. I didn't get the finishe I wanted but at least I got the wheels. Went with 18x7.5 and 19x10.5. Had to get Falken FK453 tires.

When I order these I am thinking Rays Gram Lights 57Xtreme SP SPEC Matte Graphite (darker), 18x8.5 +45 with 215/35 and 19x10.5 +43 (Face 3 more concave) with 275/35...since you've gone through the decision making and discussion with SoS what are your thoughts?

When I order these I am thinking Rays Gram Lights 57Xtreme SP SPEC Matte Graphite (darker), 18x8.5 +45 with 215/35 and 19x10.5 +43 (Face 3 more concave) with 275/35...since you've gone through the decision making and discussion with SoS what are your thoughts?

I didn't have many options if I wanted something quickly. I think I got lucky. If you're willing to wait the 6-8 weeks for a set, yes, your setup sounds great. But you may want to reconsider the tire sizes you mentioned. You will need to go wider.

I didn't have many options if I wanted something quickly. I think I got lucky. If you're willing to wait the 6-8 weeks for a set, yes, your setup sounds great. But you may want to reconsider the tire sizes you mentioned. You will need to go wider.

I have been reading tire size historical posts and it seems on the one hand people say if you go wider than 215's in the front you will kill your fender liner, then I have seen people go as wide as 245's which seems extreme.

In the rear there are posts where people have successfully fitted up to 315's in the rear with stock fenders. SoS even talks about 295's on their site for these wheels.

Then one has to take into account the TCS and the percentage difference of the stagger.

Quite confusing and mind numbing :(

For the rear you want 275/30/19.

Are you able to go wider in the front, say 235's and then accordingly wider, say 295's in the back without rubbing and not causing TCS issues?

Not without significant modifications to the fenders and/or fenderliners. The rears could probably take it, the fronts are where you'll have the problems.

Don't forget that not only are 235s wider, but the are also taller than a 215 with the same aspect ratio.

Last edited:
I run 225/35/18 up front with fender liners with zero rubbing. However, I am not slammed on the ground either. I have about a 7/8" gap from the front tire to the front fender. Much easier to get my fat ass out of the car too. Zero traction control issues either. But who needs it anyway. I always disable it.

- - - Updated - - -

I run 225/35/18 up front with fender liners with zero rubbing. However, I am not slammed on the ground either. I have about a 7/8" gap from the front tire to the front fender. Much easier to get my fat ass out of the car too. Zero traction control issues either. But who needs it anyway. I always disable it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 418
Not without significant modifications to the fenders and/or fenderliners. The rears could probably take it, the fronts are where you'll have the problems.

Don't forget that not only are 235s wider, but the are also taller than a 215 with the same aspect ratio.

Understood. I was talking 235/30's in the front, so lower profile to deal with the diameter issue but I felt it would deal with the width of the front rim better.

Then for the rears I was thinking 285 or 295 but was unsure of the profile to keep within the 7% TCS math for '91 cars...

Understood. I was talking 235/30's in the front, so lower profile to deal with the diameter issue but I felt it would deal with the width of the front rim better.

Then for the rears I was thinking 285 or 295 but was unsure of the profile to keep within the 7% TCS math for '91 cars...

I don't even think 235/30/18 tires even exist... if they do, they'll be few and far between.

Looks like I've run into another issue. I received my wheels from SoS yesterday. I opened up 1 front and 1 rear to check fitment. The rears fit fine and clear the brembos without the need for a spacer. For the front, however, even with a 5mm spacer, they don't clear. I added washers to see how much room I needed and it seems that I will need at least a 7.5mm or 8mm spacer for the front wheels to fit. The front wheels are 18x7.5 with a 40 mm offset. If they had a 32 or 33 offset, they would have worked.

Looks like I've run into another issue. I received my wheels from SoS yesterday. I opened up 1 front and 1 rear to check fitment. The rears fit fine and clear the brembos without the need for a spacer. For the front, however, even with a 5mm spacer, they don't clear. I added washers to see how much room I needed and it seems that I will need at least a 7.5mm or 8mm spacer for the front wheels to fit. The front wheels are 18x7.5 with a 40 mm offset. If they had a 32 or 33 offset, they would have worked.

I would contact SOS about your issue as they have experience with Brembo fitments. Running a 32 or 33 offset might not fix your problem either because of how Volk makes their wheels. That is a common misconception. Also, the 18x7.5 +40 offers the greatest caliper clearance in that size of the 57Xtreme. Your other option is to step up to the 18x8.5 +45 as that has slightly more clearance according to the website but you'll run into other problems with tire stretch with that size though.

Back