• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Air vs. Nitrogen

As mentioned, in aircraft or the space shuttle having air condense and freeze is a real issue- so they use it for an added margin of safety.

In street cars, Honda is absolutely correct. Nitrogen will do very little for most drivers and air is just fine. My first argument is that most drivers aren't running around with accurate racing tire gauges in the first place, and really need to start there. Further, the quality of the Nitrogen needs to be up over 95%, most aren't using dryers or purging it through anyway, and you would really need to stay on top of the maintenance fill as and forget is not going to be ideal if you want the best results. Most of all, it's simply not neccessary...

On the street, production cars are filled with normal ambient air which contains about 80% nitrogen, and can in some climates often contain a lot of moisture. However, to be frank... it really doesn't matter. You might start out cold in the morning in your ME RWD at 32psi, and after 45 minutes of highway driving edge up to 34.5psi. A 2.5psi difference is not very significant, and if you want to be anal it is very easy to re-adjust your cold pressures for the optimum hot setting next time out because the deviation is so slight. In short, the average driver in a passenger van out there won't ever get them hot enough to get the moisture to cause a pressure difference that is relevant.

For the heavier 70 and up ton commercial truck fleets, firms have seen a benefit in terms of wear on all there tires which is why there is a little more chatter in that sector I believe. For delivery vans and such no it's not as compelling.

Now, in race cars, using Nitrogen stations and cartridge air dryers is all about maintaining predictable and consistent results so you can make good decisions... most importantly so that you can set your cold pressures properly to hit your target hot pressures so you don't have to pit. The pro teams in F1 and such will have the tire factory reps and engineers on site that will have very good ideas about what pressures and temps they are looking for for on a specific track, in specific conditions, even at specific points on the track for a specific optimized compound and using Nitrogen through a dryer if properly purged and coupled with TPMS telemetry can yield results.

For the rest of us back here in the real world, that track our cars or do club racing. Nitrogen can prove to be a good idea so you are not driving yourself totally nuts chasing tire pressures through-out the day as conditions change IMO. Especially up North it starts off very cold in the morning and gets hot in the day before cooling back off in the afternoon and when coupled with changing track conditions it can cause some pain.

Tire pressures are one of the more interesting things at the club level simply due to the event formats/schedule and track layouts. You take that same ME RWD out to the track for a first session, and you can start out at with staggered pressures, say 31/28 cold and come in 20 minutes later all squirrelly and over heated at 38/41 hot. If your target was 35, you'll find yourself bleeding 3/6psi off before heading back out. Also, because your doing "cool-down" laps without having the benefit of a TPMS system you'll not always be sure by the time you get back to the hot pits what you really hit out there.

However, by the time your run group goes back out, conditions could have changed again, so you're back by the tire wall 10 minutes later dong a re-check... and before you know it your spending all your free time in the pits re-checking your pressures trying to hit your magic target hot number instead of relaxing under your tent. It is not all together uncommon to start seeing larger, less predictable, changes in pressure due to the excess moisture causing expansion. Maintaining a half to one a psi accuracy proves challenging and it's good to eliminate pressures as a variable so you have one less thing to blame your slow lap times on. :smile:

In closing, I think for car enthusiasts that are avidly tracking their cars at HPDE's or more important club racing, likely that is the really compelling scenario to justify perhaps picking up a tank and a dryer if your seeing some issues there. You can pick-up a small tank of good stuff at a local welding store, and pick-up a re-chargeable dryer from tanner or one of the other race shops.

Let's not forget the ridiculous amounts of money charged ($40 to $60 a set) to inflate your tires with 50 cents worth of gas. It's as moronic as paying a hundred bucks plus for a jar of car wax.

Very thorough John, but it made my head hurt. :redface: Around our paddock, here's the decision checklist.

Do you have a really big trailer?
Do you have a crew of 3 or more?
Do you rely on scales to change your setup every day?
Do you buy new tires every race?
Are you within 1 sec of the track record?

Unless the answers to all of these are 'yes', forget the nitrogen, you've got better things to worry about. :wink:

92 white 0650 said:
Very thorough John, but it made my head hurt. :redface: Around our paddock, here's the decision checklist.

Unless the answers to all of these are 'yes', forget the nitrogen, you've got better things to worry about. :wink:

Do you have a really big trailer?

Not yet, no where to park it... but soon enough I hope to be getting one for that Formula Ford. In time, soon enough I can sport the team John@Micro truck & trailer rig with custom matching power ranger racing graphics :smile:

Do you have a crew of 3 or more?

Inevitably that will just come down to if my g/f has to work or not. :wink:

Do you rely on scales to change your setup every day?

I'm really hoping that a set of Longacre scales will be under the tree this year. :)

Do you buy new tires every race?

At $1500 a set for me personally that is not likely to ever happen on the NSX. Point taken, it is difficult to justify N2O for the average club enthusiast if you're running on spent tires and pads but, I have seen a few guys this year bring a small bottle and claim its worth the effort.

Are you within 1 sec of the track record?

LOL, well I'm getting there, maybe in T2 if I'd revise to meet tech I could work some class records next to the camaro's and 350Z guys, but more than likely I'll never be able to afford to swap paint with many of the local guys in an NSX unless I snagged a rat, and as far as pro course records I'm still apparently 17 seconds plus off that C6R. :tongue:

Last edited:
Re: A bit of trivia

Forget nitrogen, now it's R404 and CO2.

Rumor has it (from another forum) that Racecar Enginering magazine discussed what McLaren learned in the F-1 spygate case. One thing that came out was that Ferrari has gone to 50% R404 and CO2 in their tires since this mix transfers heat effectively from the tire to the wheel, reducing tire overheating and the dreaded blistering. Ferrari also believes that tire performance in general remained more consistent compared to using pure nitrogen.

Just a bit of trivia for ya...............except for John :rolleyes:

Regular air is roughly 78% nitrogen. The big difference is reducing the amount of water in the air by using nitrogen. Like mentioned above, many racing teams use nitrogen for more consistent tire pressures due to nitrogen expanding less with heat than air.

Will you feel a difference between air and nitrogen? -No

Nitrogen also provides a safety factor, as it does not ignite. For extreme applications (jets) this is preferred, but not necessary for street applications.

*Since your NSX came with Honda air in its Honda specific tires, you should only refill using Honda air to preserve the NSX handling.*

More seriously:
Remember from high school physics that regular everyday air is 78% nitrogen? Remember that nitrogen is gas, and Boyles gas expansion law, PV=nrT, applies fundamentally to all gases.

Nitrogen does not protect against pressure change with temperature. However, nitrogen's pressure change is more predictable than air since air contains varying amounts of water vapor (humidity) and water expands at a higher rate than nitrogen. Nitrogen molecules are bigger than water molecules, so it leaks out a little slower as well. There is no ride quality difference.

I've run both in a racing environment. With local air, pressure increase varies 7 to 9 psi, depending on humidity. With a nitrogen bottle, its a consistent 6 psi increase. For me, carrying around a bottle is too much hassle, so I just pay a little more attention to my tires.

Slower leaking and more predictable expansion have their place vs. cost, but certainly not in everyday driving.

Couldn't agree more. The air all around us is lready ~80% Nitrogen. Nitrogen is also an inert gas.

The reason tire shops are offering nitrogen is to avoid moisture and cause corrosion on the rim, there is no performance gain. When you compress the air into the tire you will get condensation. This is just to protect your ivestment.

I fill my tires with Helium. Makes them lighter, and improves my car's power-to-weight ratio.

:biggrin:

The reason tire shops are offering nitrogen is to avoid moisture and cause corrosion on the rim, there is no performance gain. When you compress the air into the tire you will get condensation. This is just to protect your ivestment.

that's the only logical side from practicality stand point... Most importantly, it's the marketing, so anal customer will keep going back (like me) especially if they have free air check. Keeping the customers and building relationship is the key right now in most business.

yes to me, instead of chasing tire pressure at the track and readjusting all the time... (I still have to monitor them)... I spent the time driving my car or taking the track tires to them to fill up before hitting the track.

You can read the Tire Rack's discussion of the use of nitrogen in tires here. Their conclusion:

Tire Rack said:
So what should drivers do?

Overall, inflating tires with nitrogen won't hurt them and may provide some minimal benefits.

Is it worth it? If you go someplace that provides free nitrogen with new tires, why not? Additionally we’ve seen some service providers offering reasonable prices of about $5 per tire (including periodic adjustments for the life of the tire) to a less reasonable $10 per tire (with additional costs for subsequent pressure adjustments) or more as part of a service contract, which we believe exceeds the value of nitrogen’s benefit.

Rather than pay extra for nitrogen, most drivers would be better off buying an accurate tire pressure gauge and checking and adjusting their tire pressures regularly.

Back