• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

All Seats are made of FAKE leather even on $100K Benz

So my girlfriends brother says that all leather in cars are fake and manufactured. He knows this because he spoke with "an expert in upholstery" He claims that even on the $180k CL65 and other mb cars have fake leather. He said they do this because real leather will not last and they spray the leather smell on it to make it smell real.

I don't believe him and we argued this on and on. And we have a $50 bet. I'd like to have some proof from all of you so I can show him. Thanks in advanced for your help.

I read in one of the car magazines a few months back that MB will be offering a non-leather option of fake leather so that people who don't want to support the leather/beef/dairy industry have an animal friendly choice. It's not a matter of deceit. Usually if you read the fine print on cars & furniture it will say something about leather seating surfaces, implying that only part of the seat is leather.

Swine on da' seats, gator on da' boot... we down ya'll!

BMW offers leatherette & leather. Both are indistinguishable by appearance, having identical grain/embossing pattern.

Are the seats on cars 100% leather? Nope. More often than not, leather inserts are fitted only on "seating areas" (ie. back/lumbar, seat-cushion, bolster, etc'...). The rest is pleather... :tongue:

Looking back, instead of paying $1-2k more for optional "leather seating area" for your Accord or Camry, I'd goto a wholesaler and get a few 1/2 hides of choice leather and get an upholstery shop recommended by the dealer to re-cover my interior. End result: higher-quality leather & more actual leather coverage - less pleather! That's what the Acura dealership I spent a summer helping out at, use to do for Integra's/RSX's w/o leather but desired by the buyer.

B.S. The Corinthian Leather in this bad boy was 100% authentic. :biggrin:

1976chryslercordobasportcoupe.jpg

NYBFrontseat.jpg

Both Aston and Rolls definately use leather in their cars.

your girlfriend's brother is a tool.

the leather used in automobiles is real leather. often, it's treated for color, wear, durability but it's real cowhide.

the japanese treat their leather because they don't like the smell of leather. hence the reason that even some of the nicest japanese cars don't have the same aromatic sensation that say a high end jag or roller do.

even the leather parts of the nsx seats (note that the seats also have vinyl and plastic in the nsx) are made of real leather.

DocL said:
B.S. The Corinthian Leather in this bad boy was 100% authentic. :biggrin:

1976chryslercordobasportcoupe.jpg

NYBFrontseat.jpg

Man that looks ultra comfortable.

My Phaeton has 100% real leather. My Audi Cabriolet also has 100% real leather.

The guy is talking non-sense.. can you imagine if it was true? owners find fake leather for car with leather seating options.. Dealers will have to buy back millions of cars..

There is Plenty of leather out there.. As long as we eat steak there will be leather available.

Just OT.. at my old job, I service a client's network whose business operation was to treat raw leather and ship them to Japan.. There was hundred of pallets of raw leather.. These are raw unprocess leather that is about 1 inch thick per sheet. They stink on rotten flesh.. Anyways there are plent of leather...

Fake leather are often refer as Leatherette

steveny said:
Man that looks ultra comfortable...

You can't beat a nice fluffy pillow-top! :wink: I remember falling asleep across the back seat of my dad's old caddy leaving a hugh puddle of saliva in one of the button holes.

DocL said:
You can't beat a nice fluffy pillow-top! :wink: I remember falling asleep across the back seat of my dad's old caddy leaving a hugh puddle of saliva in one of the button holes.
LOL. I remember a similar experience in my Great Grandfathers 71 Caddy. Man that car was huge. You could build 10 Hondas with all the metal Caddy put in that thing.

jordansx said:
So my girlfriends brother says that all leather in cars are fake and manufactured. He knows this because he spoke with "an expert in upholstery" He claims that even on the $180k CL65 and other mb cars have fake leather. He said they do this because real leather will not last and they spray the leather smell on it to make it smell real.

I don't believe him and we argued this on and on. And we have a $50 bet. I'd like to have some proof from all of you so I can show him. Thanks in advanced for your help.
Show him this from PETA....
It says "Mercedes-Benz models will be available with a leather-free option".
Key word "Option".
Currently it takes 4 cows to make one MB interior.
http://www.peta.org.uk/newsnew/NewsItem.asp?id=2969
-j-

jimmycinla said:
Currently it takes 4 cows to make one MB interior.

I guess I know what's for dinner:biggrin:

Chicken LOL:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

actually your both right...having had to match many interiors for what i do for a living this comes up all the time.
most seated surfaces the part you will sit on are leather but the sides and back are vynil. most outer bolsters are real, the inner bolster being fake. this is not on ALL cars just most of them even a cl 65.

they dont do this for cost reasons they do it for wear reasons. it makes it next to impossable to match an interior when redoing it.

as far as spraying it with some crap to smell like leather, i dont know about that....

01blacks4 said:
actually your both right...having had to match many interiors for what i do for a living this comes up all the time.
most seated surfaces the part you will sit on are leather but the sides and back are vynil. most outer bolsters are real, the inner bolster being fake. this is not on ALL cars just most of them even a cl 65.

they dont do this for cost reasons they do it for wear reasons. it makes it next to impossable to match an interior when redoing it.

as far as spraying it with some crap to smell like leather, i dont know about that....

How can the brother be right? He said ALL leather in cars is fake.

All leather baby!!!!

Attachments

• 9280011(2).JPG
    9280011(2).JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 56
  • dash(2).JPG
    dash(2).JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 60
  • sellec12.jpg
    sellec12.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 73
  • selleckinterior4.jpg