• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ALMS Sebring March 14-15

Dear NSXers..

Acura has announced the tentative schedule and cost of the ALMS Sebring 12 hour event. There are some significant changes in the schedule compared to last year.

Most importantly, the parade lap will be Friday March 14th at 1215pm. This will give our NSX group much better exposure since it occurs between races on Friday at a time when there are large numbers of spectators at the track. The later start time will allow us to leave home/hotel at a more reasonable hour. In order to participate in this year's parade lap, YOU MUST PURCHASE THE MULTIDAY TICKET. The single day ticket is only good on Saturday.

Multiday ticket for 2 people and 1 car is $265. Saturday only is $245.
Multiday ticket for 1 person and 1 car is $165. Saturday only is $145.

This price includes catered lunch and non alcoholic beverages on Friday and Saturday ONLY. The hospitality tent is OPEN from Wednesday onwards but is only staffed on the last two days.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: All four Acura teams will be sending drivers to meet our group on Friday March 14th at 130pm during lunch. Please do not wander away from the hospitality tent during this time.

This year's parade lap will be in memory of Rob Hollar, son of Vinny and Mary Hollar. Rob was a frequent visitor to Sebring and an avid NSX enthusiast. He was tragically killed in a car accident just 3 weeks ago. I would like Vinny and Mary to be the honorary lead NSX in our group.

Tentative agenda (overview):

Wednesday, March 12 –

8:00 am – 6:45 pm: practice sessions for IMSA Lites; IMSA Challenge; BF Goodrich/Skip Barber National; Star Mazda; American Le Mans Series; Speed World Challenge (Touring & GT); Historic Trans-Am; and SVRA.

Thursday, March 13 – Qualifying and class races: IMSA Lites; IMSA Challenge; BF Goodrich/Skip Barber National; Speed World Challenge (Touring & GT); Historic Trans-Am; and SVRA. Qualifying and mandatory night practice (7:15 pm – 9:00 pm) American Le Mans Series.

Friday, March 14 – races for IMSA Lites; IMSA Challenge; BF Goodrich/Skip Barber National; Star Mazda; 10:00 am Registration NSX-only parade lap; Parade lap 12:15 pm; Technical presentations and Acura LMP team visit to Acura Owners’ Car Corral and hospitality; car corral contents includes cold non-alcoholic refreshments and lunch.

FRIDAY EVENING GROUP DINNER: 7pm Country Pancake House and Restaurant, 8205 Natures Way, Sea Marco Plaza, Lakewood Ranch, Bradenton, FL 34202
This restaurant is located very close to the hotel and has received excellent reviews since it's grand opening in January 2008.
No group menu. Each person will order off the menu (most entrees from $5 to $13).

Saturday, March 15– 12-Hours of Sebring tentative green flag @ 10:00 am; Acura Owners’ Car Corral and hospitality contents – cold non-alcoholic refreshments and lunch.

A maximum of 50 NSXs and 100 participants can be accomodated. This is first come first serve. I will collect $$ and order tickets for all participants. Deadline is March 1st or 50 NSXs, whichever is reached first.

Please Paypal the appropriate $ plus Paypal fee of $8 for muliday tickets, and $5 for single day tickets to [email protected]. Alternatively you can mail a check for the above amount without additional Paypal fees to

Wei-Shen Chin
2207 Lakeside Dr.
Orlando, FL 32803
ATTN:: ALMS

Please include your name, your guests name, and your year/model/color of NSX. If you are an active NSXCA member a portion of your fee will be subsidized.

We have selected the following hotel to use as our gathering point. It is located at I-75 at Exit 213 just east of Sarasota.

Holiday Inn
6231 LAKE OSPREY DRIVE
SARASOTA, FL 34240
1-941-7824400

WE DO NOT HAVE GROUP RATES, but you can book on-line at rates as low as $149 per night if you reserve early. The starting point for caravans to Sebring on Friday and Saturday morning will be from the hotel parking lot. There is also a Fairfield Inn nearby for those using Marriott Points.

Thanks,
Wei-Shen
407-832-0176

Last edited:
I'd definitely be interested in doing this again, especially if we secure lodging.

I'll be monitoring this thread!

Thanks much, again, Wei-Shin, for your efforts, the benefits of which you so graciously share with the rest of us.

Doug

How many were there last year? I would REALLY like to make it but I have to check with the wifey first.

If I remember from my recent NSX Driver Magizine, there were 31 NSX's, but we only had a couple weeks notice and still got that many. Hopefully, we'll max out this year.

Hi guys,

I am going to be transferring (military) to Orlando early March. I don't know anybody there or know where anything is, but I am really interested in this event.

Jason

I've updated hotel information in the first post.

Please book the Holiday Inn early as it is spring break and the rooms will sell out.

Our dinner plans are taking shape in the St.Armand's circle area on the beach at Sarasota.

Wei-Shen

Reservations made and the check is in the mail. :smile:

Damn! My birthday weekend at Sebring and Iron Maiden playing New York on Friday the 14th. Sorry guys, I love you all (in a masculine kind of pink dress cross dressing auctioneer kind of way) but it's not even close.

I have 4 extra lower level loge seats near the stage if anyone is interested. Of course I'll be smushed against the barrier down in the front. :)
Later in the year I'll be off to London to fly on Ed Force One piloted by Bruce Dickinson himself to several shows in Hungary, Poland and other far off exotic places. 2008 is the year of the Ed!

edforce1.jpg

sbit_800px.jpg

Met with Larry Hayes, IMSA respresentative on Monday during Wintertest.

Amazing watching the LMP cars blasting around turn one WITHOUT LIFTING at over 140mph. Laptimes were in the 1:44's and we've been told that there's a 1:42 in there somewhere. As a comparison, my BEST in the NSX is 2:28, and in the Formula Mazda 2:18.

There will be live hot pit tours on Saturday. Also all the Acura execs will be there and greeting our group on Saturday. Drivers are expected to make visits to the Hospitality Tent on Friday afternoon.

The parade lap as well as our group entry into the pits on Friday will be telecast during breaks in the race on Saturday. There are 100 Porsche's slated to participate in their parade lap. How about 100 NSXs!!

More details to follow.

Wei-Shen

Looking forward to joining our Southeast contingent again this year. Although I appreciated being welcomed last year with frigid morning temps to remind me of NY, I would prefer that you guys don't go to all that trouble again and simply let global warming take over.

Looking forward to joining our Southeast contingent again this year. Although I appreciated being welcomed last year with frigid morning temps to remind me of NY, I would prefer that you guys don't go to all that trouble again and simply let global warming take over.

Rob- Don't worry...we'll turn off the A/C this year! :wink:

There are 100 Porsche's slated to participate in their parade lap. How about 100 NSXs!!

If you are an active NSXCA member a portion of your fee will be subsidized.

WS- So can we increase the 50 NSX's max to 100?:biggrin: Also, do NSXCA members pay less or the same as non-NSXCA members?:confused: Thanks!

I have been told that the "footprint" of the parking area will be increased in size to accomodate at least 40 NSXs. IMSA will allow up to 100 NSXs in the parade lap similar to Laguna Seca. However, it will not be possible to park all of these cars in the corral. If we do reach that number, alternative parking will be arranged.

Yes, NSXCA members will receive a subsidy in the form of a rebate check after the event is over. The exact amount has not been determined yet (based on our Florida chapter budget) but will also include some $$ for the dinner Friday.

Wei-Shen

Amazing watching the LMP cars blasting around turn one WITHOUT LIFTING at over 140mph.

It is a different world, watching the pros, isn't it?

I've done T1 at 90 MPH a few times in my Miata, but usually don't do more than 80-85. Didn't like it at 90 :eek: . Really conservative through T1 in the X, go through it 75-80; worried I'll ball it up and have an obscene aluminum repair bill.

At the risk of name dropping, I used to work out at a gym in Boca. Derek Bell was also a regular. I'd talk with him once in a while. Really cool guy, very approachable. I asked him about T1 at Sebring and he said he'd do 135-140 MPH back in the 962 GTP days, so yes, 140+ is very believable with today's technology. That's SO much faster than I can conceive. Ground effects, and all. That's why the pros drive for a living and I do something else. :tongue:

Friday dinner information is now available and has been uploaded to the original post.

We'll be meeting at 7pm Friday at Country Pancake House and Restaurant in Brandenton (very close to the hotel).

Wei-Shen

Hi everyone. I am new to the X world. What is this group and the spin around the track thing. Way are you looking at a hotel in Sarasota and talking about Sebring?

Sounds like it might be a great time, but I just need a little more info.

Thanks

Hi everyone. I am new to the X world. What is this group and the spin around the track thing. Way are you looking at a hotel in Sarasota and talking about Sebring?

Sounds like it might be a great time, but I just need a little more info.

Thanks

Here's last years thread with pics, stories and videos. This is an awesome event. Not only do you get to see a bunch of beautiful NSX's but get to hang out with some great people (and Hugh :biggrin: ) and cheer on our beloved marque.
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84022

We stay in Sarasota because there are no hotel rooms anywhere near Sebring the week of the race. It's halfway between north and south Florida and a good place to gather. 90 minutes to the track with little traffic.

Hotels often require 5 day minimum stays that week and a Motel 6 can cost you $200 a night. There are also no good restaurants in the area that have openings that week.

Wei-Shen

The procrastinator I am...I just paid.

With the "new" deadline tomorrow, how many cars are we up to?

Is anyone else around Orlando driving down on Saturday? Unfortunately, I can't make it on Friday. Wei- Shen - do you have a meeting point and departure time for Sat. AM yet?

Well, folks it's close to deadline (5pm tomorrow) and the turnout is disappointing.

I mailed out 105 flyers/ALMS brochures plus over 200 emails to all SE region owners and we have a total of

FIFTEEN NSXs right now

I guess the Friday parade lap wasn't as popular as last year's Saturday parade lap...but that is something ALMS will only allow on Friday this year.

It would be disappointing to see this poor turnout for the inaugural event of the year. At least parking won't be as crowded!

Wei-Shen
P.S. Todd, got your Paypal, and got yours to akydakyx

Back