• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alpine IDA-X305 ipod head unit

Has anybody tried the Alpine IDA-X305 head unit in their NSX?
There are a few different versions such as the ida-x303 and ida-x200. The 305 looks like the best one which is a single DIN unit that has a small screen on it to display what is currently playing along with album art from your ipod.

They seem to be in the $250ish range on everybody's favorite auction site. The main drawback is that they don't play CDs, but I can live with that. There's a video of how the ipod controls work on youtube here.. That single big dial/button interface seems much better than the Alpine IVA-W200 that is in my TL (double DIN with touch screen). It is imposible to navigate through playlists on that thing.

I think I am going to swap out the single din unit currently in my NSX for the x303 one of these days. Add the bluetooth unit for it and you'd be set.

If anybody has any experience with these I'd love to hear it. Bonus points for pictures of it in an NSX. :tongue:

I looked at the IDA-X305 but like the other iPOD units it only has 2V out to the amp. I ended up going with a 9886 which has iPOD controls (included the iPOD hi-speed cable) and 4V out. I paid $249 shipped on eBay. I'm very happy with it. Oddly enough my favorite feature is that the display turns off (blacks out)....very cool feature.

I'd only be running the subwoofer from the preouts so I'm not too worried about voltage. That's what the gain knob is for. :biggrin:

i just installed this unit today and love it. I have a thumb drive hooked up to it and have about 1,100 songs on it and it sorts through the folders and is easy to use and updateds the interior nicely. it looks like a modern car interior with it. i had a sony deck in it before but it made the car look old on the dash ill put up some pics as soon as possible.

i just installed this unit today and love it. I have a thumb drive hooked up to it and have about 1,100 songs on it and it sorts through the folders and is easy to use and updateds the interior nicely. it looks like a modern car interior with it. i had a sony deck in it before but it made the car look old on the dash ill put up some pics as soon as possible.

Sweet!

Well I pulled the trigger and ordered this thing and the bluetooth module for it just now. :biggrin:

I just finished putting this in along with the bluetooth unit. I'll take some pictures when it is light outside. :biggrin:

Really looking forward to how it works out. Also, how it looks. Probably will do same since my original head unit is crapped out and I only will use Ipod. CDs are history.

So far I've only used this for one day but my ipod locked up on my way home today which worries me (I've had it for a couple years using it on my other alpine system in my other car and never had it freeze like that before). Perhaps it was a fluke or a firmware update will take care of it.

My installation isn't perfect but I'm very happy with it for a "10pm with a leatherman and a flashlight" install.

The head unit has a phone button which operates the bluetooth module (KCE-400BT). It can sync your contacts from your phone and using that button you can call people, answer calls, etc. The bth module itself is really small (not much bigger than a deck of cards) so I put it inside the dash under the head unit.

I haven't tested the FM reception yet since my antenna has been unplugged to keep it from raising when using the ipod with my previous head unit. This new one should be wired so that the antenna only raises when the head unit is switched to FM. I reconnected the antenna when I got home and will find out if it works tomorrow. :biggrin:

I also have the dimmer wire connected so the head unit dims when the headlights are on. The wiring was the easy part due to having a wiring harness.

The audio adjustment options are fairly limited but a lot better than what my Alpine IVA-W200 has.

My biggest complaint so far is how glossy the screen is (assuming my ipod freeze problem isn't going to continue)

Here's some pictures..

attachment.php

attachment.php

Blue illumination
attachment.php

Red illumination
attachment.php

IPOD / USB port and some mints inside the armrest.
attachment.php

Bluetooth microphone wired through the A-Pillar. Luckily I was able to push the wire behind it without having to take it off. It is about 12" from my face and from the couple times I've tried it so far it works pretty well.
attachment.php

Attachments

• center console.jpg
    center console.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 331
  • alpine ida-x305.jpg
    alpine ida-x305.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 333
  • blue illumination.jpg
    blue illumination.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 330
  • red illumination.jpg