• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Alt Problems?

I got a 1991 NSX. Its having alt problems I think. What happens is We jump the car it run good no problems with the stereo or lights. But we shut it off and when we go to start it again nothing. What could be the problem? I almost think lose connection. Anyway I got a Multimeter but im not to sure how to use it (lol) I cant even get it to tell me what volts its putting out. Could anyway tell me how to use it right? has a dial on it. What do I put it on to read the volt output of the altnater and also what other tests can do with this thing to help weed out the problem? Thanks for all your help....

Is there any power with the car not running ? Can you mesure any voltage at the battery ? Are you jump starting at the battey or at the jump start terminal in the engine bay? Do you have a battery charger and have you tried to charge the battery?

it's not your alternator. If the alternator was at fault, after start jumping the car, the engine would die as soon as you disconnected the jump cables. Sounds more like a battery problem. Have it tested at your local advanced autoparts or autozone, and if I'm right, then have it changed ASAP as your alternator won't last long if it has been hooked up to a bad battery for some time...

Back