• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Am I Selling Out?

Hey Everyone,

I've been trying for weeks to find the perfect, mint, showroom new Sebring Silver NSX (1997-01) and have been unsuccessful. I just flew 900 miles today and test drove my "second place" choice of a car - a 1995 Silver/Leather RX7 with less than 9,000 miles on it. The car is brand new and I find myself (with a price of $29K in the balance) saying - should I get this or hold out for an NSX in the 40's - 60's range? My rationale is that the RX7 will retain it's value while the NSX continues to drop in price - which seems to be around $5k per year. But, I feel like I'm settling with the RX7 even though it's probably the most prestine one in the country (owned by a dentist and a doctor). The guy was apologizing all over the place for the water spot from the last time he cleaned it. It's nuts the condition this car is in? Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself this is an "investment" - that the car will appreciate @ $1,000 per year (which the market currently shows). I don't want to get into a NSX vs RX7 regarding performance - but please help me clear my thinking because I have to buy this car before tomorrow at 5:00pm because there are 2 other people interested in the car. Please don't beat me up for the toss-up - I"m an NSX enthusiast, but before I realized NSX's were becoming affordable (in a way), the RX-7 was my dream car in the early 90's. Thanks guys.

You'll have no luck finding a 97+ Sebring NSX as they were only available from 1991-1993 in the US.

That being said, as a previous RX-7 owner, I would recomend waiting and finding the right car. The NSX was a definite step upwards.

Cheers,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[email protected] http://www.ScienceofSpeed.com

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 14 May 2002).]

To quote Sport Compact Car (the magazine):

"The RX7 is the finest sports car made. It does everything well...and then it blows up!"
eek.gif

I'm with Chris on this one (as on most things). Wait and get an NSX - you won't be dissapointed. The Ferrari 512BB was my dream car in the 80's. I wouldn't trade my '91 NSX (with 114K miles) for one now though. (I wouldn't mind having one in addition to the NSX).
biggrin.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I also owned an RX-7 before buying my NSX. My overall impression is that the RX-7 is a bit faster, but the NSX outclasses it in every other way. The RX7 interior is all plastic and feels cheap compared to the NSX. The build quality of the NSX is far superior. And finally, the engine and especially the turbo system are unreliable. I can't tell you how much time I spend putzing with the control system trying to get the secondary turbo to work right. None of the four dealers in town wanted to touch the car because they couldn't figure it out. My car was a 94 with low miles that was also in flawless condition, but I knew it was just a matter of time before I would have to replace an engine (just about every ad you see says new engine or needs engine).

That car is not worth $30,000 and will not appreciate in value. Wait and find the right NSX. I loved my RX-7 but would never want it back.

As a previous RX-7 owner dont get it please i had a single turbo one with almost everything but porting and there a ticking time bomb take it from me you'll regret it.

Originally posted by Michigan NSX:
To quote Sport Compact Car (the magazine):

"The RX7 is the finest sports car made. It does everything well...and then it blows up!"
eek.gif

Originally posted by gobble:
...finally, the engine and especially the turbo system are unreliable...None of the four dealers in town wanted to touch the car because they couldn't figure it out...I knew it was just a matter of time before I would have to replace an engine (just about every ad you see says new engine or needs engine).

Originally posted by NosNsx:
As a previous RX-7...there a ticking time bomb.

Do you see a trend here??

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 14 May 2002).]

Originally posted by SUPO:
Pardon me, I got color-codes mixed up. Whatever the color was called for the silver 1997-01 - that's what I meant..

1997 through 1999: Kaiser Silver
2000 & 2001: Silverstone Metallic
(not sure if these colors were available in the US though - I got the above info from the NSX FAQ. You might want to search that part of the site. There is a wealth of information there).
smile.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

[This message has been edited by Michigan NSX (edited 14 May 2002).]

Owned an RX7 for several years before buying the NSX. The RX7 had multiple mechanical problems--fuel leak, transmission leak, idle problems, electrical/dash control problems, failed radio....I could go on and on; by far the mechanically most troublesome car I've owned. Probably most frustrating is that the dealer didn't have a clue about how to fix the thing, so that I eventually just started to learn to live with its various problems, assuming they weren't repairable. Never again...!

Pretty harsh posts, but then again what do you expect from an NSX forum
wink.gif

I think the 7 is a great car, but make sure you have a back-up car, and make sure you do all the reliability mods. Also, make sure you keep a spare engine and turbos laying around.

------------------
1994 Red/Black NSX #418
Nazi Forum Groupie

Originally posted by hendu:
...but make sure you have a back-up car, and make sure you do all the reliability mods. Also, make sure you keep a spare engine and turbos laying around.

All of the sudden the price differential on the NSX doesn't look to be so large.

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Quote "The NSX is dropping in value $5,000 per year" After searching for months these things are priced all over the board for a clean low milage car. I may be new at this, but where does that logic fit for a car that was less produced in the years you are seeking. Also one thing to consider. When the 2nd gen NSX comes out it may not be a hand-built model from what i,m hearing with greater production numbers at less MSRP than a current model. If so... what happens in the market place to lower production low mileage clean cars with or w/o mods. Forgive my lack of knowledge about the car as a new owner but supply & demand may come into play in the future. I'd hate to think that the car i just bought will be worth $20k in 4 years with less than 36k miles on it when a friend of mine just payed $35k for a blk 91 with 16k in mileage.

While I have never owned an RX-7, I have driven it and my impressions are that it seems quite fast and responsive, but . . . It cannot make up for the "feel" of the cockpit. Sure, there is a lot of plastic in the NSX cockpit, but it doesn't have the plastic feel to it. The RX-7 (to me) has an inexpen . . . dare I say cheap presense about it. Also, I don't like how crampped I felt in the passenger's seat as well. I know, I know you won't be sitting there, but it still feels like a coffin. The NSX feels like no other.

My turbo observation is that it seemed a little harsh. I would hate to have that thing kick in on a curve. Seems like it would induce quite a spin. Though, I have proved it doesn't take a turbo to accomplish that. Anyway. Just my thoughts from a quick drive.

What did the RX-7 forum suggest?

Kevin

The RX-7 is just not a car you can depend on as a daily driver. I love the RX-7 and wanted to get a 3rd gen RX-7. I've been to multiple race events and the RX-7 was the only car I could recall see failing more than once at different events owned by different people. Initially I thought maybe it was coincidence and the racing conditions probably played a big part in the car failing. I read articles about the weakness of the engine. How if it overheats the engine will more than likely needs to be replaced, and how many people don't really know how to work on rotaries.

Then it hit home. My friend had an ’95 RX-7 and his engine suddenly caught fire while he was driving on the freeway. His car was stock and meticulously maintained. Honestly, you might think you might getting a good deal now, but in the long run with all the maintenance costs you will probably incur, you will wish you had not got the RX-7. I cannot recommend the RX-7 as a daily driver at all. It’s obvious that the doctor and dentist were not using this car as a daily driver. You shouldn’t either.

SUPO,

People are giving you good advice.

The price of the NSX drops $5K per year only in the first 3-4 years. If you're really concerned about depreciation, get a 1991-94 NSX coupe. Prices on those have been stable for the past several years. If you pay a fair price, you should be able to sell it a few years later for close to what you paid.

An unreliable car will cost you more for unexpected repairs than for depreciation. When a car is as reliable as the NSX, or as unreliable as the RX-7, word gets around. Both cars are notorious for being at opposite ends of the reliability spectrum.

Sebring Silver (1991-93) was a bright silver. Kaiser Silver (1997-99) and Silverstone Silver (2000-01), which were both available in the States, are darker, gunmetal silvers. The Silverstone has bigger metal flake particles so it appears more sparkly, but they're very similar to each other.

Performance numbers on even the early NSX were better than the RX-7, albeit only slightly. Power-to-weight ratio is almost identical, with the RX-7's 200-pound weight advantage being nullified by 15 fewer horses.

If you really want the NSX, then get the NSX. You can get an older NSX for not much more than that RX-7, and it will be better in every possible way.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
Sebring Silver (1991-93) was a bright silver. Kaiser Silver (1997-99) and Silverstone Silver (2000-01), which were both available in the States, are darker, gunmetal silvers. The Silverstone has bigger metal flake particles so it appears more sparkly, but they're very similar to each other.[/B]

Thanks Ken, I knew you would have the right info!
smile.gif

------------------
'91 Black/Black

I've never driven an RX7, I recently spoke to an RX7 owner here in Dallas who's car also caught on fire. Doesn't sound like a good characteristic to me :)

I seriously considered getting the RX7 several years ago until my friend who owned a Peter Farrel modified '93 sample told me not to - even though he loved the car.

He could never get the car running right. Sure it's a great car when it does, but most of the time the RX7 just doesn't cooperate. I lose count of the number of times where we had to pull over during spirited drives so that he can fix leaky hoses that prevented proper boost delivery.

After seeing his experiences I decided not to get the RX7. It's a shame, because I still like the car a lot...

Anyway, I'm trying to convince myself this is an "investment" - that the car will appreciate @ $1,000 per year (which the market currently shows).

Hmmm. Don't know about this, at least not in the near future. You know the old joke:

"How do you end up with a million dollars investing in cars? Answer: Start with 2 million."

Just my .02,
Chris.

------------------
1994 300ZX TT
Stage VI+ (auto)
338 rwhp - 380 rwt

Hey Everyone,

1995 Silver/Leather RX7 with less than 9,000 miles on it. The car is brand new and I find myself (with a price of $29K in the balance) saying - should I get this or hold out for an NSX in the 40's - 60's range? My rationale is that the RX7 will retain it's value while the NSX continues to drop in price - which seems to be around $5k per year. But, I feel like I'm settling with the RX7 even though it's probably the most prestine one in the country (owned by a dentist and a doctor). The guy was apologizing all over the place for the water spot from the last time he cleaned it. It's nuts the condition this car is in?

My neighbor has a 1993 with 600 miles on it. The window sticker is still attached. It is red with black leather. What a beautiful car.

I traded my rx7 tt for a nsx last September.
Drove it for 2 years and had a blast. I think it was a little quicker then my nsx, probably due to weight and the turbo. But I replaced just about every part under the hood
due to denotation and warping $$$. Good thing I had a warranty. $9000 just for turbo and engine replacement. not to mention the a/c and radiator. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR WITHOUT
A WARRANTY!!!! The value of the rx7 has held pretty good since the fast and the furious, But it won't last IMO. Definitely not worth 29k. If this is the car you want I'd recommend LA Motorcars in Richardson TX. This is where I traded mine in and they always have at least four 93-95 rx7s on hand
at any given time. ALL WITH WARRANTIES.
Prices between 12k-19k. GOOD LUCK

A good friend of mine bought an RX7 at the same time the I bought my NSX(about two years ago). He is now on his 3rd motor. Look in the classifieds and you will see this on every RX7--NEW MOTOR. They are cool cars, when they work. Oh BTW, his car was not faster than mine.

I owned two 3rd gen RX7s (3rd gen cars are called FD in the rx7 world). Although there are lots of reports of problems with these cars, I never had much problems with mine. I kind of luck out but I gave the car my total attention when it came to maintenance. Without heavy maintenance these cars just won't last. The under hood temperature is extremely high so after every drive I would pop my hood to let it cool down.
IMO, $29K is a bit high for a FD even with the low miles. I loved the performance and the styling. I miss the feel of the second turbo kicking in¡K.

Hi,

I owned a 1993 RX-7 for about 6 years until I picked up a 1995 NSX-T. Bought the RX-7 new for $28k then sold it 6 years and 45K miles later for $18.5K. Not too bad a deal. The NSX, which had 7K miles, was $50K when I bought it and I probably could get $40K for it now.

The real question is the reliability of the RX-7. Mine was great, no more problems than any other cars. All I did was keep the oil changed and watch the temp gauge when driving hard. The NSX is a Honda and would need a lot of abuse to break. Plus it's far more refined inside and out. The RX-7 had plenty of squeeks and rattles and a few plastic things break. The NSX has none of these problems.

The RX-7 has a punch that I don't feel in the NSX. It's also a less forgiving car to push to the limit.

To put it in perspective, the NSX is a smooth, confidence inspiring, luxurious ride with your beautiful model girlfriend on sunday on a pristine curving mountain road. The RX-7 is a car chase through the city at 5 PM with a dozen cops on your tail...

Marc

There's no way the RX7 is going to appreciate at $1k per year. To be honest, I don't see where the market has shown this at all. The car really didn't exist very long (the last gen, that is) and hasn't been off the market all that long.

The RX7 may have appeared to have gotten a boost in value because of Fast and Furious, but in the end, that will deflate.

The list of cars that actually *appreciate* is *very* small indeed. Maybe if you kept the car mint for 20 years and didn't put another mile on it, it would appreciate a bit, but if you're driving it, there's no way.

Back