• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

another dead bbsc car

well..I went out to do some 1/4 mile testing and then started hearing a rattling sound..

Took her to install my aem that came a few days later in the mail and they told me that one of the rods is broken and that the horrible sreeching sound is coming from my crank. She will still start and all but she's unsafe to drive since its all gonna come undone at any second..

This happenned to my 91 nsx with the version 2 ss box and the bbsc supercharger..

Happenned around a month ago. Ive just been to heart broken till post till now..

So Im eighter gonna find the cheapest nsx engine I can or Im thinking about the stroker kits out their...

Any info on the stroker kits would be greatly appreciated...How mu ch power with my 5 psi bbsc and my aem would a 3.x stroker kit produce.

How expensive is if for the stroker kit and everything all forged ect.

Thanks for any help on this

there's going to be a lot of "i told you so" going on. how long have poeple been telling you to get the aem installed and tuned...?

anyhoo, it's done. I dont know what your financial situation is.. but if it was me.. I'd have a built to the hilt engine put in and run 12-14 psi with aftercooler and meth.

and i'd switch to aem.

First of all Im sorry to hear about your misfortune. The stroker will add another 80 WHP + a lot of torque and it will cost around 20K+ for a built long block.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bbsc.jpg
    bbsc.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,251
sold, wrecked, wrecked, blown up....

the most important lesson in life is the realization that you should learn from mistakes of others, not yours, especially if plenty of good advice was given.
the second thing you should have done is NOT to share your story.

"BUNCH OF LACK JAWAED FAGGOTS AROUND HERE..THIS STUFF ULL PUT HAIR ON YOUR CHEST"

Whats dode is done....I already have the AEM...So now Im trying to decide between the used engine or stroker kit. My shop says they'll take out the blown engine and put in the new engine for around 3K... And they will rebuild my engine with the stroker kit ect. for around 5K..

My financial situation is that i have enough money saved to pay cash for an 2005 nsx....On the flip side of that is parting me and my money requires Moses and I hate even seeing 1K leave my savings..I much prefer to spend side money ( wich i have very little of at this time..he he he)

So my wife is trying to convince me to just take money out of my savings and fix the car the way I want. Because ill be happier...But some of you are saying 20K to do it the way i want and I think Ill be more sad..LOL

"predator"

BTW....right before this happenned I had a mechanic fix some problems with my valve covers that were leaking...After he fixed them my oil hose that connects the supercharger to my oil pan exploded and got oil all over his garage. He was pissed but found a new hose and fixed her all up. That night I went out test driving...That night is when it happenned.

The mechanics who installed my aem and tested and confirmed that the engine was blown said that the car didnt have a drip of oil inside it..

Meaning that the previous mechanic forgot to refill with oil before he gave me the car back...

That car drove with the SS version 2 box for many years...Im pretty sure this one falls on the mechanic and my self

"BUNCH OF LACK JAWAED FAGGOTS AROUND HERE..THIS STUFF ULL PUT HAIR ON YOUR CHEST"

Nice... You MAD?:mad: You should be at yourself. but what do I know I’m just one of those "LACK JAWAED FAGGOTS" that told you to get a AEM 2 years ago. Its your problem now.

The mechanics who installed my aem and tested and confirmed that the engine was blown said that the car didnt have a drip of oil inside it..

Meaning that the previous mechanic forgot to refill with oil before he gave me the car back...

That car drove with the SS version 2 box for many years...Im pretty sure this one falls on the mechanic and my self

Quick to blame someone else aren’t we. If you look just between the steering wheel there is a set of gauges. In the lower left corner there is a oil pressure gauge maybe u should have looked at that. Not to mention the reddish orange light blinking in you face.
oillight.jpg
yup that light means you got no oil. FYI

drifter your really making an attempt to pick on the wrong guy...

I have had nonthing but bad luck with the nsx....My vipers were awesome and they are built really well..You could beat the crap out of them at the drag strip and they begg for more...

My nsx has been a nightmare..

-bought the 1991 for 35K in 2007 because it was GORGEOUS

-one month later I notice smoke from the engine bay and the clutch goes

-Decide at 86K miles and with the bad clutch that an exedy clutch and new timing belt should have her great. This sets me back another 4 K only a few months after buying the car.

-After waiting 4 months for my clutch and timing belt to be done ( my long time mechanic told me it would be two weeks) I get the car back to see it has many electrical gremlins and is STILL smoking

-I go to a differant mechanic who fixes the things that the previous mechanic didnt do..Cost is $300

-3 months later the valve covers start leaking oil badly. So I have a mechanic replace the faulty valve cover nuts and also put on a new vtech soilonoid seal..this sets me back 700$

-that night I drive the car and notice somthing dosent seem right after heavy aceleration

-few weeks later I have the aem installed/tuned only to hear the bad news..The aem plus install/tune sets me `1500$

So as you can see their is very little anyone can say to hurt my feelings. I paid 35K for the car wich was very high but I didnt realize it as well after coming from a slightly used 60K viper 35K seemed very cheap. If I had done my homework i would have realized that the car was worth around 30K..

So i was 5 k in the hole from the beginning and have put an adittional 6,500$ into it and predict another 7K to get her running right ect...

It's been a nightmare plain and simple..And no one else can hurt me bro..The pain is already done..

people are laughing about those wrecked vipers? I was in much better shape with those wrecked vipers..

What people dont understand is that totaling a viper is too easy. My first one had a minor rask on the front drivers side. Was still completely drivable in every way and even looked pretty good..

But the hood on 1999 vipers wraps around the whole front end of the car. The hood plus shipping plus painting on a 1999 viper cost 17K..Then the new front bumper plus painting was 3K..20K just for those two items. The front drivers side rim had straches and that was another 1K...

When it was all said and done they were close to 30K in damages for a fender bender on any other car..

I bought that car for 37.5 K. My insurance said it was worth 42K. I bought it back from them for 32K and then sold it two days later for 18 k.

I MADE 13K OFF THAT DEAL

my second Viper wreck I made 3k off the deal..

This nsx is the mother of all lessons for me bro. I am just totally screwed. I still owe 27K on the car and as it sits it's worth around 15K...After the new engine and the bbsc tuned with the aem MAYBE I can get 30K for her and end up getting around 5 K back..Maybe

By the way the lack jawed faggots thing is from the movie Predator when Jessie Ventura is in the helicopter and spits on I beleave carl Weathers boots..

"classic"

I still owe 27K on the car and as it sits it's worth around 15K...After the new engine and the bbsc tuned with the aem MAYBE I can get 30K for her and end up getting around 5 K back..Maybe

It sounds like you should get back into a Viper, they have depreciated rather quickly the last few years, and in certain cases can be picked up sub $30k.

As for modifying a car you don't own... this goes against everything I know about finance; unless it's a commuter car, education, or real estate, you shouldn't buy it unless you can pay cash. Buying a toy car with a loan, then modifying that toy car without paying off that loan doesn't make much sense.

An engine build on the nsx should be around $8k, the parts and machine work alone are at least $5k, this is assuming you're able to locate a good condition used crank (if your crank is damaged). If you need a set of OEM pistons/rods let me know, I found a set from a local conrod shop a few months ago. There is also an ebay seller with a set of low compression 90mm 3.0L weisco pistons/rings at an attractive price. Your best bet is to recondition your engine, verify the condition of all of the internal components, replace your rod set with a good condition set, install low compression OEM size pistons, rehone your stock sleeves (assume they're not too damaged), reassemble the engine and increase boost to 12-14psi with the lower compression.

The first step is the tear down, find out what needs replacement, and go from there. If you're lucky, it's straight forward - if you have scoured cylinder walls, it becomes less straight forward.

I would get a used motor, put it back to stock and sell it. It sounds like you don't really love the nsx anyway. You an probably still get around 25-30K for it if it is in really nice shape. Sell all your parts and you will be close to what you paid for it. -- of course you are still out the repairs.

Then go get another viper or get a c6. Much cheaper to mod.

I feel bad for your misfortune and dont mean to pile on, but the best way to ensure that you avoid future misfortunate is to take a really hard look at what lead you to where you are.

Before modding a car you need to make sure its well sorted. If you take a heap of a used Viper and mod it, its going to be a disaster as well. If you buy any car that is an abused heap, you're going to have problems.

Your NSX has been a nightmare because you bought one that was probably rough, didnt get it sorted and then modded it heavily. And even after all that, it blew up because it was bone dry.

Im pretty sure that Vipers arent bullet proof enough to run without oil. I mean come on.

Repeat this pattern with ANY make and the results will be the same

The title of the thread should really be changed too.. "Another dead BBSC car" implies there is something systemically wrong with the BBSC setup. This thread is clearly not remotely evidence of that.

Last edited:
Get rid of your bbsc, that is the reason why you're having problems.....it has flaws in its design....if u want to stick with sc get the comptech or sos one.

Otherwise go turbo if u want gobs of power.

The stroker motor is more than enough for the street....but if you crave more than fI is th way to go.

Good luck

Get rid of your bbsc, that is the reason why you're having problems.....it has flaws in its design....if u want to stick with sc get the comptech or sos one.

The stroker motor is more than enough for the street....but if you crave more than fI is th way to go.

Good luck

It's unfortunate, because the BBSC is not inherently flawed, it's failure is in unresponsive timing advance computers; with a properly tuned EMS it's not the ideal setup, but can be reliable, produce good numbers, and is a quality-built system with good components.

What makes this situation difficult is the huge number of people who advised the OP to install a standalone EMS, get his setup dialed in, and avoid disaster when he started posting on this forum. At the time, he defended the SS box idea, and has continued to do so even on this thread ("revised SS boxes")

You need to be a really sloppy mechanic to 'forget' to fill the engine with oil, I am not sure this situation has been definitely pointed to either. The OP had valve cover seals leaking, drove the car after these were replaced, then noticed an issue under hard acceleration with the SS boxes. If the car were bone dry from oil, it wouldn't have gone very far, certainly not to his house, back out for a night of fun, to a lonely road for some hard acceleration runs, then back to the house without a catastrophic failure. If I am reading the posts right, he 'took the car' to get it tuned, he drove it to the shop for an AEM install and tune, even with a damaged rod.

There is certainly an issue, but we're all guessing until the engine is torn down. If the car drives (albeit with terrible noise), it *might* not be that bad - I would stop driving it, have the engine pulled, and torn down. Then you can make an educated decision about how to proceed - I have already outlined a 'good way to go' in my previous post, low comp pistons, APR hardware, and MLS headgaskets in an otherwise healthy 3.0L and you can run 12-14psi without issue (With a properly tuned AEM EMS), this should produce 500whp with the correct pulley configuration.

It's likely your engine had damage (burned valves, burned rings, cracked pistons) from detonation, finally something significant broke, but it has probably been robbing power for some time - this could have also been the source of your continued smoke issues.

A healthy engine with a 5psi BBSC would be around 350whp, you were probably producing significantly less than this. With a rebuilt engine, perhaps you will like the nsx again, although as I mentioned, the key is going to be a proper engine build, proper EMS, and proper tuning. If you don't trust your mechanic to put oil in the engine, perhaps you should find another one.

Ask Jon Martin about BBSC he knows a lot about it.

Last edited:
My financial situation is that i have enough money saved to pay cash for an 2005 nsx....On the flip side of that is parting me and my money requires Moses and I hate even seeing 1K leave my savings..

Im not gonna beat you about about what happened, im sure you know. But the BBSC is not that bad a system if its tuned correctly and you have a source for parts no longer produced. They had some for sale for under 4k for a long time, thats hard to beat. If you have cash money to buy a 2005 nsx, then you have absolutely NO problems. Get the car fixed with whatever setup you choose. A 2005 nsx is somewhere between 51k and 61k. You can have whatever you want done to the nsx and still be ok. Get your motor rebuilt with some upgrades like pistons etc, get one of the used FI systems in the for sale forum, and post when your done.

All that can be done for 12-15k.

Last edited:
Dude. Honestly, save your self some trouble and sell the nsx.

Get another viper, or a mustang or something built for the way you obviously enjoy driving your cars.

This car is not for you. That is not a judgement, it's a fact. You don't get it.

AND, buy something new, with a warranty...then the dealer can deal with all this trouble. Flipping no oil pressure, followed by driving around with a rod knock! Guess the stereo was pretty loud.

cheers!

Snakey; I for one thank you for having the courage to post. And consideration.
Something lacking in some responses.
I'm considering a BBSC because of the low prices brought on by experiences such as this.
However the crank issue does point to an oiling failure.
Piston/ring failure was the tell tale of SS box inadequacies.

I concur on looking at a different vehicle. The NSX is not a drag car and wasn't designed to be one. Or better yet look at road racing. Lots more fun and this car is suited to it.

Last edited:

Good luck

what are the design flaws? Aside from it being hard to fill my oil i mean.

Back