• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Another Newbie Here

Hi....
Finally saved up enough to get an NSX..just picked one up 2 weeks ago and starting to get used to it!
I did see another post about the driving school coming up at Thunderhill and have signed up..would like a little advice, though. The previous owner used the car as a comuter and had Firestone SVXs(!)installed. The backs are nearly worn, and the handling
seems to be vague on turn-in, with a sharp dive toward the inside of the turn, followed by the back-end feeling not all there. Doesn't instill much confidence.
In reading the FAQ section, I know that the OEM tires were specifically designed for the car, but can it make that much difference in the handling? Would it be advisable to get new tires before going to the school? I plan to leave the front and rear toe-ins stock.
(it's a '93)
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can send my way...

I know that the OEM tires were specifically designed for the car, but can it make that much difference in the handling?

Yes.

Would it be advisable to get new tires before going to the school?

I would get them even sooner. As in, right away. Why live with mediocre tires on a high-performance car?

Originally posted by rowr:
Hi....
Finally saved up enough to get an NSX..just picked one up 2 weeks ago and starting to get used to it!
I did see another post about the driving school coming up at Thunderhill and have signed up..would like a little advice, though. The previous owner used the car as a comuter and had Firestone SVXs(!)installed. The backs are nearly worn, and the handling
seems to be vague on turn-in, with a sharp dive toward the inside of the turn, followed by the back-end feeling not all there. Doesn't instill much confidence.
In reading the FAQ section, I know that the OEM tires were specifically designed for the car, but can it make that much difference in the handling? Would it be advisable to get new tires before going to the school? I plan to leave the front and rear toe-ins stock.
(it's a '93)
Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can send my way...

Congrats rowr,

I also purchased a 93 less than two weeks ago and Im still trying to get used to it. Its a blast to drive dont you agreet? I havent really had the chance to REALLY drive it. Thunderhill is tempting but most likely I will not be able to participate this year.

What color did you get and how many miles on it? I live in the bay area so chances are well meet on the streets. Let me know about thunderhill..

again congrats and enjoy it...
spartan23

Spartan23

Congrats to you also on your car! I was looking for a red one, but this one came along and was too good to pass up. (It's white)
I saw on the other post your window situation..let me know how it turns out it turns out, 'cuz it can't be too much longer before I'm running into the same deal.
Gotta agree with you...the car is blast!
Will let you know about Thunderhill, provided they receive my app on time..
Again, congrats and have fun! Hope to see you around, since I get into the City occasionally..

NSXtasy...
Thanks for the input and advice...it's off to the tire store for me!

rowr.. This is the best advice you will ever get.. replace the tires with oem tires. I made the mistake of not doing so and I am extremely angry with myself for not using oem tires. It is the difference between night and day. I have been wondering lately if anyone has bought a used NSX with non OEM tires and doesn't know how well the car handles with OEM tires.

NSXtasy,

I also wanted to thank you for your advice on my windows. Right now the car is still in the garage I dont drive it as much as I want to.

I purchased my car with Bridgstones Potenza?
Im sure they are bridgstone odf some kind with OEM size and noticed the car doesnt handle as expected, ofcourse this is my first and only NSX I have driven, I had them on my previous Z car and loved them, They look pretty new so I wont be able to purchase a new set soon. Did you say Yokohamas are the best tire for this car?

spartan 23

PS do NSX's sound funny when engine is cold??
mine sounds like a VW bus from the 70's
Do I need to warm up engine on daily basis??
kindly advice.. =)

I purchased my car with Bridgstones Potenza?

Bridgestone makes a number of different models of tires with the Potenza label. Their OEM tire for the NSX is the Potenza RE010. If that is what you have, the car SHOULD handle well. If it doesn't, it could be due to a number of factors. I would check the tire pressures first (go for the easy stuff), and if that doesn't do it, maybe the alignment. But if you have a different model of Potenza, not the RE010, then that is probably the culprit.

Did you say Yokohamas are the best tire for this car?

There is no tire that is "best" at everything: dry traction, wet traction, treadlife, cost, precision handling, etc. Most folks have reported that the OEM tires (Yokohama A022H and Bridgestone RE010) have the most precise handling, with the Yokos maybe slightly better than the RE010.

PS do NSX's sound funny when engine is cold??
mine sounds like a VW bus from the 70's
Do I need to warm up engine on daily basis??

Is it possible that you are hearing a sort of groaning noise from under the hood (in front of you) rather than the engine compartment (behind you)? If so, that's the normal sound of the ABS pump when you start up.

If your engine is really loud, no, that's not normal.

Steveny...
Not sure if the previous reply made it through or not..if so, my apologies for the repeat..
Anyway, thanks for the advice..I was rather "disappointed" by the car's handling..the ol'73 240Z felt more at ease in the corners.
Went looking for tires today and was informed by a Bridgestone dealer that the RE 010's were discontinued, leaving the Yokos the only game in town, OEM-wise. Will keep looking just in case he's misinformed.

Thanks for your advice..I'm already hooked on this car!

Later,
Rowr

Went looking for tires today and was informed by a Bridgestone dealer that the RE 010's were discontinued, leaving the Yokos the only game in town, OEM-wise.

I doubt that this is true. For example, all eight kinds of RE010 tires for the NSX are currently in stock at the Tire Rack.

Also, you might want to consider joining the NSX Club of America and using the club member wholesale pricing at Discount Tire Direct to compare prices. I've found them to be a bit cheaper than the Tire Rack for the OEM tires.

I'm not sure where you can get DTD tires installed locally (I'm sure they can tell you when you call) but if you buy from the Tire Rack, you can use their website to look up the name of a local installer who will install tires purchased from them.

NSXtasy...

Cool deal, thanks! The Bridgestone guy I talked to today just said that there was a "d" next to his listing for that tire and that meant it was discontinued..didn't sound very confident when he said that, though. Considering the Bridgestones for poss longer wear, but the opinions of the posters on this forum don't seem to be favorable when comparing the two OEMs performance -wise.
Was leaning towards the Yokos in spite of the poss high wear rate anyway..local place has it $844/set out the door.
Again, your or anyone else's thoughts?

Thanks!
Later,
Rowr

Considering the Bridgestones for poss longer wear

I don't recall hearing anyone say that the RE010 wears longer than the A022H. Are you sure?

I think the differences between the RE010 and the A022H will be pretty minor. These are similar tires, built to identical design goals.

local place has it $844/set out the door.
Again, your or anyone else's thoughts?

Should be easy enough to compare with Tire Rack prices and a quick phone call to an installation place to find out their mounting charges. Same for Discount Tire Direct.

I went through my first set of rear Bridgestone RE010s in roughly 6,500 miles. My original fronts still have plenty of tread left at just under 11,000 miles...

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Originally posted by akira3d:

Akira3d...

Thanks for the info..that helps...
Can't remember in which FAQ site one poster was saying he got 12k with the Bridgestone vs 8k for the Yokos...the difference is irrelevant anyway...
Nice Lexus, by the way....

Later..
Rowr

Back