• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another one bites the dust

Hi Guys,
Well, I got the unforunate news from the insurance company that they have declared my NSX a total loss. The repair estimate was right at $16,500...and that's without even opening the hood to take a closer look. It was a blessing and a thrill to own it for the past 3 1/2 years. You guys enjoy. God Bless!
--Vince--:biggrin:

Vince.

What happened?:confused::eek:

Vince.

What happened?:confused::eek:[/QUOTE

Picture this. 2 lanes heading the same direction; I'm driving in the left lane and the right lane is stopped. Someone in the right lane waved a truck out from a parking lot to turn left...right into my front right corner. Fortunately no one was hurt...just the car. Never let anyone direct traffic for you unless they have a badge and one of those orange cone flashlights.

Attachments

• DSC02908.jpg
    DSC02908.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 222
darn!

Sighhh... unfortunate news! If it seems re-buildable, buy-it-back from the insurance for pennies on the dollar and get a competent/skilled/experienced shop to fix it.

Obviously, I can't conclude the magnitude of the damage(s), but if the front-right frame-rail & cradle are w/o kinks/bends, it's merely a cosmetic/superficial repair... meaning, replace all that's bent/broken/torn/shredded whether it's liners, fenders, bumpers, hood, even suspension components such as: pivot, knuckle, upper/lower control-arms, and so forth.

To be quite frank, any proficient/reputable repair shop can do all that, there's no special skill-set required at all whatsoever. But for frame-rail/cradle matters, aluminum-tig welding is a whole different matter all together, as it requires $1,000's of labor to merely remove the frame-rail from the front fire-wall, as well as acquiring another frame-rail from another totaled NSX to install (Honda/Acura no longer offer the individual frame-rails, at best you have to buy their $11k+ front-cradle assembly). Oh yes, $1,000's more in labor to re-install it after welding/etc. ERZ can allocate such a part w/ ease.

At least, you got some closure/finality to the situation.

Vince.

What happened?:confused::eek:[/QUOTE

Picture this. 2 lanes heading the same direction; I'm driving in the left lane and the right lane is stopped. Someone in the right lane waved a truck out from a parking lot to turn left...right into my front right corner. Fortunately no one was hurt...just the car. Never let anyone direct traffic for you unless they have a badge and one of those orange cone flashlights.

Sorry for your loss. Glad to hear no one was hurt.

Best to you.

Re: darn!

Sighhh... unfortunate news! If it seems re-buildable, buy-it-back from the insurance for pennies on the dollar and get a competent/skilled/experienced shop to fix it.

Obviously, I can't conclude the magnitude of the damage(s), but if the front-right frame-rail & cradle are w/o kinks/bends, it's merely a cosmetic/superficial repair... meaning, replace all that's bent/broken/torn/shredded whether it's liners, fenders, bumpers, hood, even suspension components such as: pivot, knuckle, upper/lower control-arms, and so forth.

To be quite frank, any proficient/reputable repair shop can do all that, there's no special skill-set required at all whatsoever. But for frame-rail/cradle matters, aluminum-tig welding is a whole different matter all together, as it requires $1,000's of labor to merely remove the frame-rail from the front fire-wall, as well as acquiring another frame-rail from another totaled NSX to install (Honda/Acura no longer offer the individual frame-rails, at best you have to buy their $11k+ front-cradle assembly). Oh yes, $1,000's more in labor to re-install it after welding/etc. ERZ can allocate such a part w/ ease.

At least, you got some closure/finality to the situation.
I agree. With all the used parts out there, rebuild it.:wink:

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Having been through this myself, you definitely want to buy the damaged car from your insurance company. You can part it out or re-sell it for far more than they are likely to charge you.

The engine and transmission alone are likely worth $5-7k minimum.

Back