• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another review by someone who has absolutely NFI.

Drive Review

Just found this - some people just don't understand, do they... ?

The URL won't work - heres the text...

Samurai supercar
By Joshua Dowling
The Sun-Herald
Thursday July 25 2002

Honda's revamped NSX looks the business but doesn't fit the bill. It's showing its age and has been oupaced by European thoroughbreds.
Pigeonhole: Japanese Ferrari.

Philosophy: Honda has gone back into Formula One so it's time to resurrect the racy image by giving the 11-year-old NSX a quick buff and polish.

Who's buying it: Not many. Honda sold four last year and six the year before that. Ferrari has sold 46 cars so far this year compared to Honda's tally of ... three.

Why you'd buy it: Next question.

Why you wouldn't: It's old, outdated and a pretender. You can have a European thoroughbred for the same price. Or less.

Standard equipment: For almost a quarter of a million dollars you'd expect more than climate-controlled air conditioning, remote central locking, a CD player and a few this-and-thats. Nevertheless, most bases are covered.

advertisement

advertisement

Safety: Dual airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control. Hardly ground-breaking stuff for a faux supercar. A humble Holden Acclaim has these features plus side airbags, which the NSX lacks.

Cabin: Stepping into the NSX is like stepping back in time. There's no eight-track, but there's no hiding this Honda's age. Cosy, for two only. Feels like you're sitting in a bob-sled.

Engine: The 3.2-litre once howled, but tighter emissions have muted the V6's growl and go-fast urge. It doesn't feel like 206kW. In fact, a Ford Falcon XR6 would probably see it off these days. A dramatic fall from grace for a former Wheels Car of the Year.

Transmission: Six-speed manual shift is solid, direct and precise.

Steering: Electrically assisted, not too heavy, not too light. Turning circle a not-so-good 11.6m.

Ride: Given the low-slung stance, it handles the bumps reasonably well.

Handling: So-so. When the NSX came out, it was among the class leaders, but by today's standards is easily overtaken by the likes of Porsche and BMW for competence and confidence around corners.

Fuel: Expect a best of 9.5 litres per 100km on the open road, 13.0 around town and much worse than that if you use the right foot liberally.

Brakes: Responsive feel through four-wheel discs with ABS, but not in the same league as Porsche or BMW.

Build: The boot on the test car did not close properly, but otherwise no major complaints.

Warranty: Three years/100,000km. The industry average.

Security: Immobiliser. But at this pace, who'd want to steal it?

Audio: Above-average sound from Bose hi-fi: AM/FM radio with in-dash CD player.

Cost: The NSX is $245,100, manual or auto. The Targa with the removable roof is $256,100. If you want one, be sure to twist an arm as they're hardly bolting out the door.

Verdict: The Honda NSX looks the business, but doesn't deliver anywhere near the performance it suggests. At a quarter of a million dollars it's no wonder there are more Honda NSXs on billboards than on the streets.

If an NSX sells for $250,000 down there, then what does a Ferrari Enzo go for? $2 million? :confused:

The only "pretender" here is Josha Dowling. And what's this "european thoroughbread" mantra he keeps chanting? That is so snobbish.

Also, I find it interesting how he admits the NSX looks the part (a complement I guess), yet which BMW and Prosche looks the part? Those makers in general have quite bland styling relative to the NSX.

I made comment about this pricing issue once before...

Here... an M3 costs approx $143k. A WRX Sti can be had for < $60k.

This might put things into perspective - the NSX is indeed overpriced in this marketplace. However, that doesn't explain his lack of understanding of the car... or how to shut the friggin boot!

may be this cat is from europe. that's why he loves european car so much.

Boot = Trunk

He probably didn't know that you are meant to press the Boot closed... not just slam it. Many people don't seem to know this. It's in the manual isn't it??

Cam

In all fairness, the NSX is WAY TOO expensive in australiia..

But then again, this guy is just lame..

AndyH said:
i guess california has more nsx than your whole country :)

Heck, I won't be surprised if there are MORE NSX's in SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA than ANY other country in the world, Japan included! I practically see different ones with diff. owners every 2 days or so.....in fact, 2 nights ago I saw FOUR on Pacific Coast Hwy within 5 miles/ 3 minutes of one another! 1 Red, 1 Yellow, and 2 Black! :p If exclusivity is your cup of tea, and you happen to live here in So Cal, then the NSX will disappoint.

Going back to topic: Yes, the review is pretty amusing....the guy obviously didn't take the NSX for a spin. Probably just another teenage wannabe self-proclaimed *expert* on sports cars, judging from the way he writes....:D Those with at least half a brain would take this guy and what he says with a grain of salt.....:)

Last edited:
blown1981 said:
What does an NSX go for down there? In US currency. j/w
NSX Coupe is 245,100 AUD and NSX-T 256,100 AUD... This corresponds to an amazing 166,000 USD and 173,500 USD, respectively - nearly twice the retail price of the US NSX. :eek:

that's extremely overprice
but it's not as overprice as in Vietnam .....last year i went back there....a 95 Honda Prelude goes for $50,000 :eek: camry goes for around 22K (built them there) and Accord (import) is 50K for a new one...sport cars are just rare overthere....
lucky that we live in the United States :D

Last edited:
My guess is this guy has never even driven an NSX.

AndyH said:
that's extremely overprice
but it's not as overprice as in Vietnam .....last year i went back there....a 95 Honda Prelude goes for $50,000 :eek: camry goes for around 22K (built them there) and Accord (import) is 50K for a new one...sport cars are just rare overthere....
lucky that we live in the United States :D

Vietnam? Wow! To think that ten years ago, everybody were riding bicycles. Now, if I could only get the NSX back there with me on a vacation.

I think I've found the answer in another of this loser's reviews...

For those who don't understand the terminology, a 'ute' is like a 'pickup' but its based on a stationwagon body. Looks like this:

23ute.jpg

This guy likes utes, so he should probably go back to the sticks where he belongs and stop trying to pretend he knows about real cars.....

Carpool: What we're driving this week
By Joshua Dowling, Tony Davis
The Sydney Morning Herald
Tuesday September 23 2003

Holden SS Ute
RRP: $40,140.

As tested: $41,945 (extras: leather seats and climate-control air-con, $1490, and metallic paint, $315).

Why we're driving it: It's the updated Series II version with a hint more power and equipment. And because I like utes.

Likes: The new Calais-based dashboard, including the digital, climate-control air-con and Saab-sourced cup-holders, which are great for your mobile phone, too. Interior and exterior styling (but not the standard seat fabric -- happily, the test car had leather seats).

Dislikes: The "satin" or "brushed" chrome SS and Holden exterior badges have been replaced by regular shiny chrome badges on the Series II Commodore range -- the factory can't cope with so many variants, so the badges were among the sacrifices. Sound system is slightly better but still can't handle heaps of volume. Utes shouldn't be purple. Not as much interior space as the Ford ute.

Would I buy one? In a different colour, absolutely. And I'd replace the badges with the ones it was intended to wear. Can't have the old model looking better than the new one.

Joshua Dowling

Some australian v8 lovers are renowned for their "meatheadedness" and refusal to except anything other than ford or holden (brainwashed by marketing)

That being said the nsx is ridiculously expensive in australia, for what it offers.

Back