• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another Sound System Question

My NSX has the typical bose amp issue, and instead of repairing the amps, I am thinking about using an aftermarket crossover to connect up a new amp and speakers.

Has anyone ever changed out the speakers and amps with aftermarket equipment, but kept the head unit?

If you have, how does it sound in comparison to the orginial sound system?

Steve

Originally posted by stevesp:
I am thinking about using an aftermarket crossover to connect up a new amp and speakers.

Has anyone ever changed out the speakers and amps with aftermarket equipment, but kept the head unit?

Dali sells a "Golden Ears 1000" audiophile package which is essentially what you describe. It looks promising but I haven't actually heard it myself.

-Russ
'91 black/black

Yes a new amp and speaker setup will do wonders for the sound system. The head unit itself is not bad, though it does EQ the signal a bit at the pre-amp stage.

Originally posted by Lud:
Yes a new amp and speaker setup will do wonders for the sound system. The head unit itself is not bad, though it does EQ the signal a bit at the pre-amp stage.

Does the Bose system in our cars use a similar "Active Equalization" method as used in the classic Bose 901 home speaker? If it does, that means the output of the head unit is specifically EQ'd to compensate for the peculiarities of the OEM speakers. Consequently this may impair the sound of any replacement speakers one might install.

-Russ
'91 black/black

I don't know what the 901 home system does, but the head unit in the NSX basically works like a "loudness" button - it adds bass inversely proportional to volume.

If you use the head unit, you will need to make RCA adapters to drive the amplifier. The output from the head unit is line level. The wiring diagram is in the FAQ. I am not sure the purpose of the adapter in the "Golden Ears 1000 Audiophile kit". I simply soldered RCA plugs to the plug in module to drive the amplifiers and have no problems. There is no line noise despite using unshielded cables. I am using solid core wires. This is something audiophiles have been doing for years and before anyone says anything, many of the wires from cartridges to the phono preamp were unshielded wires with mV output running near AC wires. The output from the head unit is in volts. By the way, much better sound quality if you do it all even if you use the stock head unit.

Back