• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Another wax question... arg..

With all the heated wax discussions, I was really trying to avoid posting yet another wax related thread, but I guess I have too.

I have been a Zymol user up to this point. Based on discussions on the forums I decided to try Zaino. I was planning on detailing all my cars this weekend.

But last night I had dinner with my cousin. He is a well known and respected car collector (he has more than 85 pristine cars) who is a zymol/meguires user. I mentioned I was going to try Zaino and he told me to NOT do it on a black car (my NSX is black). He said he tried Zaino a couple of times on black cars and after exposing it to the Florida sun during a show the paint turned cloudy and gray. He said it would probably be ok for non-black cars. I do respect his opinion. I have not heard anyone complain about such, but I need to know.

So, does anyone have experience with Zaino on a black car in intense sunlight/heat ??? Any ideas what he might of done wrong?

H.Gunner
91 NSX Black
01 CL-S Silver
74 AMX/Javelin White

I can offer one man's experience, I have a 01 black lexus, and been using Zaino since early when I bought the car. I live in sunny southern CA, granted i don't take the car out, so far have ~10k miles on it. But, I have no complaints or problems regarding paint turning color, and i know of many other black lexus owners that uses zaino w/out any issues.

Zaino works best on dark cars!! it makes the shine and gloss and color even deeper.. Your cousin doesnt know squat about Zaino lol.. Its ok to even apply the polish on hot surfaces on a 100 degree day! its not a cleaner or silicone oroil based carnuba etc.. its a synthetic that protects paint.. just try it..I've been using it for over 2 years and wont even consider going back to anything else. My Trans Am pics are below on the link as well as a black trans am on the zaino site..
smile.gif

my close ups on a navy blue metallic.. http://community.webshots.com/album/33961125lFhJcJ <A HREF="http://www.zainobros.com/files/photos/blackta.htm" TARGET=_blank>
http://www.zainobros.com/files/photos/blackta.htm[/url]

I'm sure Zaino will even look better on a NSX due to the paint quality being better than the GM paint
smile.gif

Black TA..

[This message has been edited by Bobby C 01TA (edited 24 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Bobby C 01TA (edited 24 October 2002).]

H,

I suspect he probably applied Zaino too thick...and it was perhaps humid and it hadn't adequately dried. I'm sure it had nothing to do with color.

I used Zaino with excellent results on my black NSX.

The new ZFX catalyst should solve any issues with drying and humidity and as long as you follow the directions and use the product sparingly, there should be no problems.

I know of many owners of black (and dark colored) cars that absolutely rave about Zaino products.

If you have any questions or concerns this weekend, I'd be happy to help talk you through the process. Drop me an email ([email protected]) if needed and I'd also give you my cell.

Just remember....very, very sparingly.
wink.gif

Regards,
Jim

PS: I know Sal Zaino himself is also easily reached through emails too.

PPS: You shouldn't have to avoid posting about questions like this.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

I've used Zaino on my wifes Black 2002 Acura CLS with excellent results. There were several 105 to 110 degree days during the summer and the paint looks great. At the very least, try it and if you don't like it, switch to Zymol.

------------------
1994 Green-black roof/tan, 5 speed
Do you know of another Green-Black roof NSX?? Please email me if you do.

Just another thought on hot days...

Zaino, being a synthethic, doesn't melt or get soft on hot days like conventional waxes.

This is usually one thing that people like about Zaino in warm climates.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Thanks all for your replies.

I am going ahead with my plan to try Zaino (and thanks for the offer Jim), I figure one of three things can happen:

1) I don't show up to NSXPO in which case Ken may be right about the ingredients

2) I show up to NSXPO with a unique colored gray NSX, in which case my cousin is right

3) I show up to NSXPO with an awesome mirrored finish NSX in which case all the Zaino users are right...

Hope to see you there.
smile.gif

hg

hg,

Here is a pic of what your black NSX will look like. I use Z2 and Z5. Personally, I like the Z5 better than the Z2 on black. The only clouds you see in the paint is the reflection from the clouds in the sky. Good luck with your experience.

http://home.attbi.com/~jcaswell/nsx/Picture014.jpg

[This message has been edited by caz-nsx (edited 25 October 2002).]

H,

I'm sure it will be OK. You already have 5 people with black (or dark) cars here who have used Zaino with excellent results.

Again, and forgive me for stressing this once more, it's real important that you apply the product sparingly. Many people who are used to carnauba products are used to applying a thicker coat.

Once you have the applicator moist (I sometimes spray a bit of Z-6 Gloss Enhancer to get things started), it only takes a quarter-sized blob to do an entire area that's the size of your NSX roof. It may be hard to see where you applied it versus where you haven't. You'll think that you're not applying enough....trust me...you are.
wink.gif

The other suggestion is to use ZFX. Florida can be humid and I'd really recommend it. Do you have it?

I also agree with caz-nsx about the Z-5. Unless you have a brand new NSX, I'd use the ZFX/Z-5 combo. Black cars are so challenging when it comes to swirl marks and the Z-5 does help. Finishing with a Z-6 spray (again sparingly) helps too.

Have a fun weekend and drop me a line if you need help.

Regards,
Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Just in case you missed the first three times it was suggested,

Use ZFX! This will make your life much easier as well as making it possible to apply many coats in just a couple of hours.

One more thing,

Thin Coats are the only way to fly.

[This message has been edited by Sig (edited 25 October 2002).]

Originally posted by Jimbo:
H,

I'm sure it will be OK. You already have 5 people with black (or dark) cars here who have used Zaino with excellent results.

6 now ! Here's the result on my NSX after only one coat of Z5 :

DSC00084.jpg

FYI, I have now more than 30 coats of Z2/Z5/Z6 ! I can assure you that the black has never been so deep and I only use my NSX when the sun shine !

Regards,
David

[This message has been edited by Enzo (edited 25 October 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Enzo (edited 25 October 2002).]

Yes,I have ZFX, Z2, Z5, Z6, Z7 And new cotton towels per Zaino specs.

I will follow directions and use SPARINGLY!

Thanks again for the feedback everyone and the pics of some nice looking cars..
hg

Back