• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Antenna Options?

Dracon said:
I dont like the huge antenna on the NSX very much.
Huge? It's only thirty inches long. :confused: And you never even see it, since it's only extended when you're inside the car...

If you use the stereo mostly to listen to CDs, the Smartenna is a nice option; it keeps the antenna down while the CD player is in use.

I'll have to agree with you, it looks huge when its fully extended. I have smartenna installed but i was listening to the radio when this picture was taken. Although I'm too anal about keeping the car stock looking to do the S2000 antenna modification

P8200115.JPG

put a simple switch hidden somewhere so you can control the antenna. I did this because a smart antenna looked cool but it would not retract when listening to a satelite radio roady2 i use. cost about 5 dollars and is very simple.

ktan said:
after a little research on the cost of an oem s2000 antenna on ebay, I found this link. This may be a good option, about $30 + shipping on ebay

Install Link: http://www.locustom.com/nsx_install.htm

ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973930786&category=33639

not affiliated to these guys but i've heard of fuba before, i think the VW's use them as oem

Hmm, that looks like it might be a good option. For $30 I don't have too much to lose :smile:

there is a connector under the left side of the dash with a pink with white tracer (colors are best of my memory) wire that you could use a switch in line with. Then you could raise or lower the antenna at will with the said installed switch. If you want technical details let me know and i will look up the exact connector number and picture of the location as per the etm from honda.

ktan said:
not affiliated to these guys but i've heard of fuba before, i think the VW's use them as oem

It says "Fuba type", which I don't think is really a Fuba brand antenna. The original one is called the Fuba BetaFlex-D. This one seems to be a knockoff, but for $30 it might be something to consider. Even I'm considering it!

Here's the real Fuba just for comparison (the real Fuba swoops back at 50 degrees):
antennadiag.gif

I just think that S2000 antenna looks goofy on the NSX. It just looks like a weak/wimpy antenna not befitting the NSX. No offense to those who already have one on their NSX. :biggrin: I'm not a fan of the stock antenna either, though.

I've seen some cars that have an antenna on the top middle of their rear window. Is this a separate antenna for some other device or is it a replacement of the standard antenna? Anyone know?

jkeen01 said:
I just think that S2000 antenna looks goofy on the NSX. It just looks like a weak/wimpy antenna not befitting the NSX.
I wonder whether I could install an NSX antenna on an S2000...? :D

jkeen01 said:
I've seen some cars that have an antenna on the top middle of their rear window. Is this a separate antenna for some other device or is it a replacement of the standard antenna? Anyone know?
It's possible you're referring to a cell phone antenna. It's also possible you're thinking of a satellite radio antenna, although those are usually mounted on the rear of the roof, so it would be just forward of the position you mention. Here's a photo of a new TL, showing the XM satellite radio antenna on the roof:

tl_gall_img_01.jpg

OK, I just bought that antenna from ebay. Only 30 bucks so I figure I dont have a ton to lose. I'll let you know how it turns out. In the mean time, I just unplugged the power to the stock antenna.

My BMW E46 comes has a small rubber antenna on the roof (about 3-4"?). I like it because it's very short and always gave great reception.

Here's a pic I found as an example:
Photo006.jpg

I wouldn't mind this on my black NSX. It would be less noticeable than the stock antenna.

My wife's TL has the Satellite FM antenna (a small nubbin) sticking up in the roof near the rear, but the AM/FM antenna is embedded in the rear window along with the defroster.

It would be neat to be able to do that to the NSX, but I'll bet it would be a huge expense to even try it.

What is totally awsome in the TL is the 5.1 Audio DVD player. THAT should be in the NSX!

mskrotzki said:
My wife's TL has the Satellite FM antenna (a small nubbin) sticking up in the roof near the rear, but the AM/FM antenna is embedded in the rear window along with the defroster.

It would be neat to be able to do that to the NSX, but I'll bet it would be a huge expense to even try it.
You already have it. As it comes from the factory, the NSX has two antennas - the retractable mast antenna that extends (30 inches) when the stereo is on, and the antenna consisting of veins in the top third of the rear window. (Ever wonder why the top third of the "rear window defroster" doesn't work? It's because it's an antenna, not a defroster.) The radio includes a diversity feature that constantly selects between these two antennas for the stronger signal.

nsxtasy said:
You already have it. As it comes from the factory, the NSX has two antennas - the retractable mast antenna that extends (30 inches) when the stereo is on, and the antenna consisting of veins in the top third of the rear window. The radio includes a diversity feature that constantly selects between these two antennas for the stronger signal.

Now that you mention it, I do recall reading that. The new TL has managed to make the one in the rear window suffice for AM and FM, and there is no mast at all and, I assume, no signal strength diversity feature either

Amazing what 15 years can do in technology

mskrotzki said:
Now that you mention it, I do recall reading that. The new TL has managed to make the one in the rear window suffice for AM and FM, and there is no mast at all and, I assume, no signal strength diversity feature either

I wonder whether they decided to eliminate the mast antenna because they figured people would be mostly listening to satellite XM radio rather than terrestrial broadcasts...

mskrotzki said:

The RSX has the same in-window one as well. I've noticed I lose about 5 miles distance on reception compared to my wife's car, which has a standard antennae. However, it makes the car look so much cleaner!

I haven't measured the fall-off in AM reception, but once we hit the mountains west of Denver, AM is a gonner anyway.

Ken's comment about listening to XM radio may well be correct, but we find ourselves using the DVD Audio more than anything. Being opera lovers (we spend two weekend a year in Chicago as season ticket holders) and frequent forays to Santa Fe, the choice and the tremendous clarity of DVDA is the big draw.

I'm not sure I'll be able to use he NSX for the New Mexico trip anymore :(

Besides, I have anniversary, birthday and holiday presents solved for the forseeable future :biggrin:

Back