• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any good paint job deals in the Bay Area?

Does anyone know a decent body shop that can paint the front bumper, hood, and corner panels at a good price (the rock chips have piled up)?

I know I can walk in to most shops and plunk down $2500 and have it done... just wondering if there are any deals out there. Some of the shops have to be hurting for business these days :biggrin:

Mikes Auto Body in Brentwood or ProTones in Napa. Used them both. Very satisfied with the results. ProTones you may find a bit pricey as they are high end. Both honest. You get what you pay for.....going cheap can be dangerous. Good luck. Regards...Andrew

p.s. if it were my NSX needing the paint, I'd tip the scales and go with ProTones.

Never skimp on paint work. I used to paint cars and motorcycles for a living.
Stay away from the chains like Maaco, Earl Scheib, Miracle, etc. Go to a local car show and ask people who did their paint work. Many of the nice paint jobs will likely have the same painter/bodyshop.

I recommend you go to Brooks Motor Cars in Oakland. They are a high end shop and have done work on several NSX's in the Bay Area, mine included. Dan is the owner. See link below.

http://www.brooksmotorcars.com/

Good Luck.

Mike

John,

I'm going to drop my GTO off tomorrow to have the rock chips in the hood, front bumper and fenders re painted.

I've seen his work on another car and for the price $600, it was pretty darn impressive.

He is near downtown SJ.

Paint used is PPG.

If u can wait, lemme take a crack at it first......

How did your hood turn out? Any pictures? :)

John,

I'm going to drop my GTO off tomorrow to have the rock chips in the hood, front bumper and fenders re painted.

I've seen his work on another car and for the price $600, it was pretty darn impressive.

He is near downtown SJ.

Paint used is PPG.

If u can wait, lemme take a crack at it first......

My bad folks.

I still haven't done this since I wanted to let my warranty expire on the GTO before having it painted.

The last thing I need is for the paint work to be done and have a bunch of monkeys leaning on the paint to do a simply fluid flush.

I have less than 400 miles left on my warranty and right after that I'll start up the project.

So how did the paint go???

I'm looking at a complete respray also. Maybe slight change in color from black to flat black with with a clear. Can't justify spending the $7k+ quotes I've gotten in the past. I rather spend that type of cash on FI or another completely different toy(s).

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you. I shopped around and got some pretty high quotes. My detailer buddy has a hook up with some body shops that he works with regularly. They'll talk to you about the various things they can do to save money. You can't have super low price and best quality, but if you go in knowing what you can sacrifice on (like not removing some parts for painting), you can get the price down quite a bit. Some garage queen owners around here will fault you for not spending the $10k for a perfect paint job, but different stroke for different folks. PM me if you want his contact info.

Some garage queen owners around here will fault you for not spending the $10k for a perfect paint job, but different stroke for different folks. PM me if you want his contact info.

Hey, now, I think a proper job is more like $15k-$20k. :tongue:

And nothing is perfect.

When folks start spending 50% or more of their car's value on a paint job, it's just getting silly :biggrin:

Reminds me of the $10k Sentra guys with $12k in stereo and performance mods. They shoulda just bought a proper car in the first place :wink:

Hey, now, I think a proper job is more like $15k-$20k. :tongue:

And nothing is perfect.

Reminds me of the $10k Sentra guys with $12k in stereo and performance mods. They shoulda just bought a proper car in the first place :wink:

Hey don't laugh. I almost did that with a Sentra once. Bought a Civic instead and been a Honda fan since. :biggrin:

When folks start spending 50% or more of their car's value on a paint job, it's just getting silly :biggrin:

It's not how much the car is worth, it's how much you like the car. :wink:
My next project will have a stereo that will probably be worth as much as the car. :eek: But that's only because the car is so cheap to begin with. :biggrin: And it's a proper car because it's RWD. :tongue:

Otto

I was in the same boat as you. I shopped around and got some pretty high quotes. My detailer buddy has a hook up with some body shops that he works with regularly. They'll talk to you about the various things they can do to save money. You can't have super low price and best quality, but if you go in knowing what you can sacrifice on (like not removing some parts for painting), you can get the price down quite a bit. Some garage queen owners around here will fault you for not spending the $10k for a perfect paint job, but different stroke for different folks. PM me if you want his contact info.

I might hold off on the paint longer....... Car still drives good even though not the prettiest nsx on the road anymore. I'm shopping for a new carbon road bike and a new LED or Plasma TV lol

Back