• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any higher value in taking my 95 NSX to Japan?

Finally getting stationed in Japan in Yokosuka for my final two years before retirement. I have a '95 NSX and I'm debating about selling it here before I go.

But I can also have it shipped for free. Any value for me in doing that? Would an American left driving NSX hold any greater value to make its shipment worthwhile?

The side benefit would be having that car out there, but I can always get an old skyline for cheap instead.

If the factory refurbishment program is still in effect then you could run yours thru that - would cost you but it would be like new. That's a thought - lots of aftermarket goodies over there you can't get here. Of course if you bought an NSX over there you could have it shipped back for free and you might find something really cool but don't they drive on the wrong side of the road over there?

Hmmm...I didn't know about that refurbished thing. The website is in Japanese, so...yeah. I'm trying to find info but I'm seeing that it costs 30-40k? Not sure if that's including shipping both ways or not.

Yeah they drive on the other side of the road, but in the military we can avoid the excess taxation on used cars and get to go through all the classes needed to be licensed to drive over there.

Will be weird to drive on the wrong side of the road, but it would be doubly weird to drive on the wrong side of the road on the wrong side of the car!!

I'm willing to sell it here and just get a used Skyline over there for dirt cheap too. But you have me intrigued with that factory refresh thing. Too bad I don't have an NA2 to take over and do that.

If we ever get stationed in Japan, my first thoughts are to sell the NSX and bring back a Skyline.....

or have my brother hold on to my NSX and still bring back a Skyline(choice #1). :biggrin:

or a Sylvia

Last edited:
OH! Also, aren't NSX-T's rare over there? Not sure of the demand for targa model NSX's over there.

I looked at a car auction that showed used cars being sold in Japan. Saw only one actual left drive Acura NSX and it was a 1993 model with 27k miles for 43k US dollars.

I would say it worth to do it, as NSX holds very good value overthere in Japan:smile:

when you want a good one there it will cost you much more than in the State

I remember someone told me that Japanese people live the "A" emblem, similar to how some of us over here in the states like the "H" emblem. It all comes down to rarity. Since it's free shipping, bring it over and test the market. Check out http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/ for prices on the NSX.

Cars i would consider bringing back to the states:
- R34 GTR
- S15 Silvia Spec-S
- Toyota 3000GT (good f'n luck)

Then you run into issues of carb legal and registration. Of course if you live somewhere like south carolina with carb exemption/relaxed requirements, that shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck with sale, and enjoy your last couple years in the military. Fair winds and following seas.

Last edited:
Back