• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any ideas why a 93 black/black w 59k mi only sold for $25.7??

i just sold a black on black nsx VIN #jh4na1510pt000087 (manual with 59k original miles clean carfax no history or appearance of accidents/paint work, service done at acura, master/slave & regulators already done) on ebay no reserve for 25.7 grand. Doesnt that seem very low? Isnt that car worth ~29k or more? Id love some nsxprime views on why this particular car sold for so low. Is it the year? Was I missing something on the history of the car? Was my expectation too high?

I fully understand a no reserve auction and what it can bring (and the economic concept of a free market which really should determine the real value of the car...i just thought $25grand was low and doing some research on various sites including ebay it seems to confirm this)

Now as its memorial day and im sure there can be all kinds of reasons why people werent in front of their computers, but ebay had ~1500 views and it was posted on nsxprime pointing it to ebay with some views as well...but im looking more for why this car with a clean car fax that looks great drives great acura serviced would ever go that low? perhaps there is something else with that car that im missing...your thoughts? What should it have sold for given regular circumstances? Others are selling for more, so someone is buying economy or not...

it had gunmetal prodrive rims, but i cant think that addition would reduce price? at least not by that much?

Last edited:
I did not look at the ebay ad but timing is everything and like you said who wants to be sitting in front of a comp on such a great weekend. I personally would have set a reserve price

It seems a little low, considering the miles and history. But considering the economy is in the sh####er, it's about right. Any car is only worth, what someone is willing to pay for it.

Economy is pretty bad. With so many people out of work including myself(1 in 5 males country wide from what I hear), no one wants to spend money on luxury items.

Ebay with no reserve was the problem. You reduced your pool of prospective buyers to those willing to buy off ebay and close within a limited amount of time. Those that sell on ebay with a reserve often sell after a handful of unsuccessful auctions. That would have taken more time but would have likely brought in more.

Plus it's Memorial Day weekend, as Acura NsX Pilot mentioned.

It isn't a total shock in this market. It all comes down to waiting it out to get the right buyer in some cases. That is pretty low miles though. It is probably worth more than that.

How can you be surprised if you didn't set a reserve?:confused:

Sounds like somebody got a good deal at your expense. I have certainly got a few eBay purchases under the radar, but not to the extent of $2-3K off market value.

You never know... if you didn't want it to go for that low, you should have set a reserve. Lesson learned maybe.

eBay may have limited your market. Posting on Auto Trader or Cars dot com and waiting also may have helped you get more $$$. It depends on how much you want to mess with selling a car. eBay makes it fairly quick and easy. Especially with NR. Once the auction is finished it should be a done deal.

Speaking from personal experience... I purchased my car on e-Bay, March 23, 2008 (Easter). I had been watching and looking for an NSX for years. I was expecting to pay at least $30k for a nice NSX.

This one had 38,500 original miles. It had the timing belt/wp changed out two years previously and had just had the clutch replaced 700 miles before I purchased it. It also had some other nice extra's.

It too was posted over a holiday weekend, Good Friday - Easter. I ran a carfax and e-mailed the seller. I put in a bid, $100 over the current bid, on Good Friday. I fully expected my bid to be immediately outbid by the current bidders set maximum price, but I wasn't.

I thought for sure by Sunday, Easter (3 days later), when the bidding closed I would be out bid, since I didn't set a maximum bid or anything higher than my current bid.

I was stunned Sunday afternoon when I found out I had won the auction. It did cost me ~$27k. But I felt and still do feel it was a very good price. I would have paid at least $30k for the car.

I suspect it was good timing for me, probably poor timing for the seller having been posted and closing on a holiday weekend.

BUT, I did find out that this car had closed on e-Bay previously for under $25k, ouch... if only I had seen it then. It was in late January or early February. Again, winter is not the best time to be selling a sports car. But the winning bidder didn't have the funds to purchase the car. I asked the seller about it. He said the person who bid didn't believe the bid he put on the car would hold. A word to the wise, if you don't have the money, don't bid on eBay.

In your case you were selling at a desirable time. But the holiday weekend may not have been the best time to have it close.

It is tough to say.... timing can be everything.

As for the economy.... it would make sense that people might not be buying... but then I go take my DD to the Dodge dealer for oil changes and see 13 Dodge Vipers on the show room floor. I ask the sales person about them and he says they are selling 11 to 13 of them per month, and they have two more arriving in a couple days. The cars on the showroom floor I saw all had sticker prices of more than $100k on them. This was in February. Two weeks ago when I was there they had two on their showroom floor. (I suspect the dealership is selling these Vipers nationally... I sure don't see that many on the streets around here... NE.)

People who have money don't seem to be slowed down much by the current economic conditions it appears. Then again, most of those people are looking for something new and not a used vehicle.

Last edited:
How can you be surprised if you didn't set a reserve?:confused:

i got that, thats not the point of my question....i was wondering if something was wrong WITH THE CAR....i understand, as i stated, ebay and timing and the economic factors i was wondering if someone thought that year, color, non-nsx rims or something about that particular car (as if i missed something on carfax history and someone had more info than i had access to) could have given clues BEYOND the no reserve bid...but thanks

what was your starting bid?
cuz you lucky they didnt get it for even less.

selling your NSX was the first thing you did wrong, later down the road your gonna kick your self for selling it. but you have your reasons,

Second thing you did wrong was not set a reserve price.

Third thing your did wrong was sell your NSX. LOL I know I already said that but come on.

Another thing is yeah that was real Low your should have gotten a little more for it.

whats the VIN cuz that person will probably just turn around and sell it for more. we can keep our eye open for it when it sells on Prime. see how much the next guy gets for it.

i got that, thats not the point of my question....i was wondering if something was wrong WITH THE CAR....i understand, as i stated, ebay and timing and the economic factors i was wondering if someone thought that year, color, non-nsx rims or something about that particular car (as if i missed something on carfax history and someone had more info than i had access to) could have given clues BEYOND the no reserve bid...but thanks

I personally don't like the roof antenna, but that wouldn't stop me from buying it.

I noticed the high bidder, only has 11 transactions, maybe he won't pay and you can get a chance to relist it.

After looking at the ad on ebay I would also have to say most of your pics were way too small. The first time you listed it the pics were of decent size.

The 2nd time they were really small and looked like you may be trying to hide something with those small pics.

Good pics can easily add 10% or more to the final selling price.

People who are not effected by this economy would either be looking for a later model or like many I know have there orders already in on a New Ferrari 458 Italia. I know one person who had to buy a 612 and a Quattroporte to secure a spot on the list to get one.

kelloggbc01,
I was probably one of the ppl that was considering your car. First of all I don't think Ebay is the right venue for selling your car unless you set a low reserve or no reserve and want to dump the car, in which case is what happened to you. I also think that ppl like me looking for the right nsx is willing to take the time and do diligent research on the car they are buying. Your car being on Ebay, I only had about 2 days to do research and that is not enough time to see the car or have someone go look at it for me. Also I agree that the pictures were really small, you should have had about a dozen large pics of exterior and interior. I also didn't like to roof antenna and asked if taking it off would have required body work but you just said that you liked it and it looked cool, well that is not what I asked for. I think putting it at no reserve hurt you, most ppl would look at that and say what is wrong with the car, makes you look desperate, maybe from the buyers perspective someone is going to get a good deal, but I'm not going to risk it, there is lots of other cars out there...if it falls through let me know maybe I'll reconsider the car... just my 0.02

After looking at the ad on ebay I would also have to say most of your pics were way too small. The first time you listed it the pics were of decent size.

The 2nd time they were really small and looked like you may be trying to hide something with those small pics.

Good pics can easily add 10% or more to the final selling price.

,,,,hmmm, i didnt change the pictures i added to them but i agree....i used a pro camera of my friends and the resolution was so high they got small...when i used the old one i had and posted on nsxprime they were larger and so much nicer...i think youre right....car is so nice i think i didnt do it justice

kelloggbc01,
I was probably one of the ppl that was considering your car. First of all I don't think Ebay is the right venue for selling your car unless you set a low reserve or no reserve and want to dump the car, in which case is what happened to you. I also think that ppl like me looking for the right nsx is willing to take the time and do diligent research on the car they are buying. Your car being on Ebay, I only had about 2 days to do research and that is not enough time to see the car or have someone go look at it for me. Also I agree that the pictures were really small, you should have had about a dozen large pics of exterior and interior. I also didn't like to roof antenna and asked if taking it off would have required body work but you just said that you liked it and it looked cool, well that is not what I asked for. I think putting it at no reserve hurt you, most ppl would look at that and say what is wrong with the car, makes you look desperate, maybe from the buyers perspective someone is going to get a good deal, but I'm not going to risk it, there is lots of other cars out there...if it falls through let me know maybe I'll reconsider the car... just my 0.02

...sorry. i rushed this to get done before the holiday weekend and you are totally right, i should have taken more time and answered more completely...funny thing is i have no reason to rush, just the need to be at a hotel and start the holiday weekend...completely my fault...

what was your starting bid?
cuz you lucky they didnt get it for even less.

selling your NSX was the first thing you did wrong, later down the road your gonna kick your self for selling it. but you have your reasons,

Second thing you did wrong was not set a reserve price.

Third thing your did wrong was sell your NSX. LOL I know I already said that but come on.

Another thing is yeah that was real Low your should have gotten a little more for it.

whats the VIN cuz that person will probably just turn around and sell it for more. we can keep our eye open for it when it sells on Prime. see how much the next guy gets for it.

starting bid was ~25g! i think others said it right, in a rush i thought i might have created a sens eof urgency but a proper sale to get the right dollars should have been longer with a reserve...no contact from buyer yet btw,,,

I'm not so sure that the price was so low. I just bought a very nice 96 red with 52,000 miles TB/WP, master and slave, every single rubber hose replaced inc. all 23 heating and all vacuum hoses, valves checked new seals, ac head unit rebuilt new tires etc. etc. from a prime member and paid $30,500. so I think you actually didn't do so bad. JMHO

IMHO i think EBAY never sells anything at fair value because our concept of value is exactly why EBAY exists. EBAY is where you go to find deals. It's another story if you have a true collectors item in which case its usually reserved pricing. All i ever hear about ebay is how you get such a great price! And as a matter of fact, for me it's been true. I buy all kinds of parts and accessories for my bike at prices that can't be touched in my area.
Being new to the NSX world and having just bought one, my mindset would have been to think something is wrong with the car with the unreserved pricing and i would automatically put a discount on my offers to anticipate any repairs to come.
It took me more than 1 month to close my purchase which means i too think there isn't enough time on EBAY to do serious research for an investment of this kind - hence discounted pricing.
Great price for the buyer and I think its almost 5k below comparibles for sales out there.

wow is black an unpopular color? thought it was always a desireable one!

I go shopping for NSXs on ebay all the time. A lot of the black ones never get a bid or they don't go for very high. Everyone is always bidding on the red ones. A guy in Houston bought a black one last year, 1st thing he did was painted it white; he said "black hides the body lines". Idk, I just never been a big fan of black NSXs. But there are other colors that are less desireable.

Back