• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any of you lucky NSXers ever get away with titling an NSX with fewer than 17 digits?

I'm guessing he means a Japanese/European market car as they have chassis numbers that read something like: NA1-XXXXXX.

Other than that, no clue. I don't really get why DMVs/court clerks would flip over fewer than 17 digits since that system only came about in 1980. Any old Datsun 240Z has a 10 or 11 digit VIN.

I'm guessing he means a Japanese/European market car as they have chassis numbers that read something like: NA1-XXXXXX.

Other than that, no clue. I don't really get why DMVs/court clerks would flip over fewer than 17 digits since that system only came about in 1980. Any old Datsun 240Z has a 10 or 11 digit VIN.

I guess I should have mentioned that the title and subsequent title were issued missing a digit/character. The "A" in NA1. Somehow the seller's title had it missing and when I applied for my title, it was done in the same fashion.

So, now I have the job of explaining to the Secretary of State that the title was incorrect when I received it...etc.

Going to be fun.

Good news! After three iterations of requests to correct the VIN on my current NSX, I received my new (corrected) title in the mail.

I am back to 17 digits!

Mine has definitely 17 digits and starts with "JHMNA2" (JHM is Honda). My prelude had 17 digits too (started with JHMBB2) and my previous cars too so i guess it's true for Euro cars in general.

Last edited:
Ooooh...I spoke too soon. I just compared this title to my others and realized they now have this car listed as a coupe.

Sigh...another trip to the Secretary of State's office and 4 weeks of waiting.

i think coupe is ok speedmaster

i think coupe is ok speedmaster

Too late. I went down there and showed them the four previous titles (three corrected by them) and pointed out that my car is an NSX-T. Not an NSX Coupe. So, naturally, they put it down as an NSX-T and 2 door for body style. Groan.

This will be the last time I send to them. I am so done.

Too late. I went down there and showed them the four previous titles (three corrected by them) and pointed out that my car is an NSX-T. Not an NSX Coupe. So, naturally, they put it down as an NSX-T and 2 door for body style. Groan.

This will be the last time I send to them. I am so done.

It is a 2dr for body style. I think you have way too much time on your hands to be making all these trips to the DMV. :)

It is a 2dr for body style. I think you have way too much time on your hands to be making all these trips to the DMV. :)

I do have to laugh at myself for being such a stickler. I just can't finally have a targa with a title that says coupe. Especially since the previous titles they issued all said NSX-T and 2-door.

Besides, after seeing Rich's car go for $69K...I am thinking I need a clean title for my ultimate 401K investment. LOL

Boom...just received my fifth corrected title. Gotta love what the CarFax will show. This time, they get the NSX-T correct. But for body style they have gone back to coupe.

I give up.

I have an NSX-T coupe.

Back