• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Any other BMW M3 owners from the past, present in here? I keep coming back...hehe

Been fighting off a case of E92 fever lately. I refuse to have both cars at once too. Weighing the options between a car that is fast and useful vs one that is a historic piece of awesome and refuses to lose value.

The M cars will always haunt me.

Not an M3 but was following a Monte Carlo blue F10 M5 yesterday in my M3 up in Boothbay Harbor, ME area. Never seen one before, what a good looking car.

Dude, just get the m and be done with it.

Some people are just inclined to one brand and model. Totally understand.

Dude, just get the m and be done with it.

Some people are just inclined to one brand and model. Totally understand.

FWIW, I've always owned an ITR, that's not going to change :)

Not an M3 but was following a Monte Carlo blue F10 M5 yesterday in my M3 up in Boothbay Harbor, ME area. Never seen one before, what a good looking car.

F10 M5 is a super car in sheep's clothing ~ a bit heavy for an M-car but these days what car isn't heavy and burdened with electronics. The M5 may be my future ride when the kids get bigger but this time around definitely getting a 6-speed manual. I have the DCT and it's kinda boring.

I love all brands of cars for all their own merits, even the new Hyundai has my interest :)

Been fighting off a case of E92 fever lately. I refuse to have both cars at once too. Weighing the options between a car that is fast and useful vs one that is a historic piece of awesome and refuses to lose value.

The M cars will always haunt me.

Nearly 3 months later and I succumbed to m fever.

Sealing the deal on a perfect comp package e92 this week.

A whole different monster from the NSX, but a monster none the less.

Sweet. Pics or it didn't happen when you pick it up next week.

Contemplating an e46 M3. Had a line on a black CSL in Germany but alas, importing is such a hassle and I'm tired of paying my lawyer's house payments. I shouldn't say "contemplating," it's going to happen but not until I find the right example.

Actually, I found a pristine silver e30 M3 and a black 2002 on BAT. Missed both of them by just a few hours.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw this at the 'Ring last year. Beautiful but big.

2012-07-07 13.03.25.jpg

2012-07-07 13.02.42.jpg

Sweet. Pics or it didn't happen when you pick it up next week.

Contemplating an e46 M3. Had a line on a black CSL in Germany but alas, importing is such a hassle and I'm tired of paying my lawyer's house payments. I shouldn't say "contemplating," it's going to happen but not until I find the right example.

Has anybody imported a CSL yet? You would be victorious at life if you pulled that off, but I'm still not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze in terms of resources burned to get there. Maybe find somebody that is active duty in Germany and have them bring it back for a finders fee? I can't think of a good way to do that and get past all of the red tape once it gets to port.

Two really shitty cell phone shots that I took yesterday. Getting ancy.

carmax1.jpg

carmax2.jpg

Interesting thread. I want to add a M3 but I sure as heck don't know what I want. I love the E30 and E46 but I want one that is somewhat of a collector car. Any recommendations. PS - I am not averse to the E36 its just that they made so many coupes/sedans/convertibles so its hard to imagine any of them being "colletor cars".

How much of a collectors car are we talking?

Without talking about imports I would look directly towards a E36 Lightweight.... If you can find one. Otherwise a E30 M3 would be great. There's not going to any rare E46's, just rare color combos.... Also don't forget about the Lime Rock edition E92?

That covers every generation.

I owned a 2006 E46 330 w/ZHP package. BMW added a few generally unnoticeable torques & Hp's to the 330's base v6 but also added noticeable M badges on the wheels, steering wheel, and shifter. Admittedly it was an M-light wannabe (not wannabe by me but by BMW) and I never quite understood why BMW tried to bridge that gap. But hey, it lets me play here with the big kids a little!

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=101688&d=1370724864

Never felt like a super strong car but just like the NSX, there was more than enough power & feedback & general feel to allow for a fantastic driving experience each time. I still look back at most clean E46's that I see in parking lots...and BMW's doing a fine job with the latest 3-series now that they've washed out most of the Chris Bangle residue from the last decade.

White NSX, white BMW - you, my friend, have awesome taste in cars.

Negatives:
- Still dislike the iDrive compared to Lexus touchscreen
- No backup cam, has the ancient PDC beep beep

Using the 2002-era nav system when I owned the car in 2009 could be such a buzzkill at times... I don't care what anyone says: IMHO the "ancient tech" of the NSX will keep being one of its strong points and why I love it so much. There's no way for it to go out of date during the ownership experience - it's already there!

Love your white M3!

Interesting thread. I want to add a M3 but I sure as heck don't know what I want. I love the E30 and E46 but I want one that is somewhat of a collector car. Any recommendations. PS - I am not averse to the E36 its just that they made so many coupes/sedans/convertibles so its hard to imagine any of them being "colletor cars".

By far the most collectible of the M-cars is a clean E30 M3 ~ but finding one is harder than finding an NSX that is pristine! If I could fine one it would be in my garage right now. I first had a chance to drive a E30 back in college when a close friend had one. We took it around Putnam (Indy) and it was an amazing car (back then I was tracking my Eclipse..haha) so night and day difference! I've owned every M3 model except the E30 and would love to add one to my stable.

Yinzer, thanks for the kind words ~ the e90 m3 to me is too sedate and isolated. It's the worst M3 in my opinion for the track, just too heavy of a car but it makes a great occasional DD with the kids. I'm debating now if I want to keep it and mod more or sell it for a F10 M5. Look how fat it looks:

P.S. this is my main motivation for this M3

By far the most collectible of the M-cars is a clean E30 M3

False

125 E36 Lightweights produced world wide vs 5,300 North American E30 M3's

Out of those 125, Paul Walker has a reported 7 of them.

I wouldn't normally even entertain suggesting it, but when a McLaren owner asks, I dare say they have the resources to obtain LTW if they wanted one.

Last edited:
thanks Steve, didn't know those facts! :)

I should have said for me in particular, I feel the E30 is most collectible since I bet out of those 5300 most are long gone or destroyed...

I've seen a few lightweights over the years and never liked the checkered flag nor did I know BMW only made 125, learn something new everyday.

Paul Walker as in the F&F guy? Does he own McLarens, sorry you lost me....

Oh I never knew what LTW stands for so I looked it up, I assume you are referring to 1, 2 or 3 and not 4? haha

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LTW

thanks Steve, didn't know those facts! :)

I should have said for me in particular, I feel the E30 is most collectible since I bet out of those 5300 most are long gone or destroyed...

I've seen a few lightweights over the years and never liked the checkered flag nor did I know BMW only made 125, learn something new everyday.

Paul Walker as in the F&F guy? Does he own McLarens, sorry you lost me....

Oh I never knew what LTW stands for so I looked it up, I assume you are referring to 1, 2 or 3 and not 4? haha

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=LTW

LOL! "Lifetime Whore"

Bingo, same Paul Walker... he actually owns a lot of really neat stuff. But the McLaren I was referring to Ritesh who posed the question originally.

Here's probably the most pristine example in existence.

http://enthusiastauto.com/qsearch/?id=4164&form_display=51#.Um_18RCp2So

I actually looked at THAT M3 LTW BUT it only has 99 miles on it!! IOW I can't drive it Plus you have all the nightmare issues of a 18 year old car with 99 miles on it. That is stupid retarded. Sadly I have car ADHD..... I am all over the place between a Toyota FJ Landcruiser to a E30 to a 993 to a 964 Turbo!!

Great cars Rick!! IMHO though I have never owned a M3: E30>E46>E90. E36 is somewhere in there but I don't know where.

LOL...I totally understand, Ritesh. I go from FJ to Broncos to Defenders and now to M cars. Get a Singer 911 and you'll be everyone's hero. ;)

As another option, I wouldn't discount a e28 M5 from your list as well. Handbuilt, exciting to drive, functional, many really god examples, and hasn't hit the collector car market like the e30 yet.

LOL - Funny you say that(BTW - you still haven't dropped by to see my 12C!).....I was actually thinking of getting a E34 or E39 M5 since I just LOVE their styling!

I actually looked at THAT M3 LTW BUT it only has 99 miles on it!!

What are the odds? that's pretty nuts.

Maybe get a 997.2 GT3 RS 4.0. That is going to have to have importance one day... last MT, last time the rear wheels didn't friggen steer, etc...

LOL - Funny you say that(BTW - you still haven't dropped by to see my 12C!).....I was actually thinking of getting a E34 or E39 M5 since I just LOVE their styling!

I know, I know, my friend. The MBA, my companies, and family have kept me really busy. I've barely tracked the NSX for the last several years. I'm hoping to be out at MSR next summer before the doctorate begins.

I've got an e39 M5 and love it. To be frank, I think even modern cars would have a hard time to being as good in performance and functionality as the e39 M5. Reliability is another question.

Yeah I heard about M5's reliability issues - luckily BMP is literally a block down from my office. I'm sure their service dept. can fix any issues I have.

I went from a NSX to e39 M5 a few years back and was not very happy. I had the M5 for about a year and it was very well cared for car from a friend of mine with less than 70k miles but man I was always getting the damn check engine light. Car ran beautiful but it was no NSX.

Now I own a 03 540it touring and I love this beast in a more family friendly package. Even though my old M5 was more powerful but this 540it feels more stronger. I just wished BMW would let us have the M5 touring here in the states.

The one BMW I love the most is my 1971 BMW E9 2800cs and I don't think I will ever sell. Lately it's been hard to resist with nice examples selling for over $50k. Earlier this year a very nice fully restored E9 sold for $110k. Hmm with this trend, I might be able to get into a nice NSX and also a E30 M3 that I've always wated.

Here's my baby.
BMW2800CS_3.jpg

Back