• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anybody wanna help with O2 sensors...

First hand experience, PLEASE!
I've got 1991 (with aftermarket headers) thats showing CEL blinking 4 long 3 short (repeating) when jumpered.

The write up for Os replacement looks intimidating. I've got a lift and a pretty nice place to work in.

I'm just north of Greensboro, NC in a little town called Madison.

Food, beer, etc...

haha, if you were closer I'd help you out.

it is nothing to be scared of. just make sure you have the right tools...

i have one I got from autozone that goes around the 02 and has a slot for you to put a socket wrench, breaker bar, etc in and they always come out easliy (douse them in a penetrating oil of some sort but don't go crazy and get it everywhere... just soak where the bolt enters the headers...

just take it slow and you'll be fine.

haha, if you were closer I'd help you out.

it is nothing to be scared of. just make sure you have the right tools...

i have one I got from autozone that goes around the 02 and has a slot for you to put a socket wrench, breaker bar, etc in and they always come out easliy (douse them in a penetrating oil of some sort but don't go crazy and get it everywhere... just soak where the bolt enters the headers...

just take it slow and you'll be fine.

Did you remove suspension members, etc... or just wiggle your hands into the tight places?

I think I can get to the back one but the front looks TIGHT.

Hi TomCat,

I pulled both O2 sensors on my 96 when I installed Comptech headers and had no trouble. I was expecting seized seven year old sensors, but they twisted out just like they were supposed to. I later had to replace the rear one due to the same 43 or 44 code you are getting... bad O2 sensor heater. It was pretty easy access. I haven't tried the front sensor with the headers on the car, so I can't help you there. Different headers probably have different clearance anyway.

I used a generic NGK sensor (PN24172) which I found online for about half the price of one from Acura. It had the right harness and connector on it, so it was plug and play.

I'd swing over and help you out, but it looks like I'll be out of town next week end. The O2 sensor wrench is a good idea. You'll probably need the penetrating oil, but keep it to a minimum. The new sensor will supposedly fail if you get any oil on it.

Good luck,

bryan

Hi TomCat,

I pulled both O2 sensors on my 96 when I installed Comptech headers and had no trouble. I was expecting seized seven year old sensors, but they twisted out just like they were supposed to. I later had to replace the rear one due to the same 43 or 44 code you are getting... bad O2 sensor heater. It was pretty easy access. I haven't tried the front sensor with the headers on the car, so I can't help you there. Different headers probably have different clearance anyway.

I used a generic NGK sensor (PN24172) which I found online for about half the price of one from Acura. It had the right harness and connector on it, so it was plug and play.

I'd swing over and help you out, but it looks like I'll be out of town next week end. The O2 sensor wrench is a good idea. You'll probably need the penetrating oil, but keep it to a minimum. The new sensor will supposedly fail if you get any oil on it.

Good luck,

bryan

I've got the same sensors on order and may get with Steve Gooding this week.

If not, the invitation is open!

Back