• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anymore Pics of a Custom Stereo Install. I found one here, but want to see others

Originally posted by Cyan NSX:
I am getting ready to do a crazy custom stereo system in my car, and want to see some other nice installs in a nsx. Here is one i found on the web

http://www.streetdreams.com/install/acura/nsx94a.html

Cyan,

let me know where you get your audio system installation from. I need to work out a couple of bugs in my NSX that dont work. I am in the LA area and dont mind driving to OC to get work done. If you have other shops in the area to recommend, that would be great too.

Funny you should post that car. I have met that guy a couple of times in Daytona Beach while he was competing in the Spring Break Nationals. I made it a point of finding that car and talking with him. The second time I saw him I started questioning all kinds of things on the car and he really didn't have any good answers for me. My wife said that I was stalking him.LOL
He talked to me about the car but the impression I got from him was that I wasn't in his class of people because at the time I didn't own one. Of course I wanted one just like lots of other people. Glad I don't act that way when people approach me and ask about my car. I'm very happy to show it to them and give them a ride if they want it. Never have to many friends right?

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I used to be involved with IASCA and car audio in the early to mid 90s with my '91 Civic Hatchback Si. I've since not really kept up with that hobby...

But, back in the day, SpeakerWorks in Orange County was THE high-end car audio shop. www.usdaudio.com.

There are lots of good installers, and to work on the NSX, you'd better find a damn good one.

Also, keep in mind the NSX does not lend itself to fancy installations, or lots of equipment. I've been starting to think about blueprints to install a system in my '92 NSX, and I keep coming back to really simple system diagrams, and minimal intrusion. Granted, I still have some ideas for some necessary stealth fabrication, but none more than necessary...

--Ed

ED,
Well everyone knows that you have to put the sub in the passenger footwell. But with all the other equipment there are so many other places. I want to put a PS2 in an enclosure underneath the glove box, and put the amps in the trunk, with custom vinyl. I am putting 2 4" tv's in the visors, since the targa has such small ones, and using a custom dash from craig hardy to put a new unit 7" screen from panasonic with hks camp system. Where the ashtray is I am putting a Apexi VAFC controller. You can fit tons of gadgets in the NSX, it just takes time to plan it out.

Vince

>Well everyone knows that you have to put the sub in the passenger footwell.
Actually, I was thinking about rebuilding the center-speaker with a custom fiberglass enclosure to house a single low-Q 8" sub, and keep it totally stock looking. That would free-up the sub-area in the passenger footwell for an amp.

>PS2 in an enclosure underneath the glove box,
very nice.

>and put the amps in the trunk, with custom vinyl.
I wouldn't choose to put amps in the trunk, if I could avoid it. Certainly not in the toolkit area, because of heat, but possibly on the left or right sides if it looked good. Lots of wires to run thru the firewall, though.

>I am putting 2 4" tv's in the visors,
cute!

>using a custom dash
Yeah, once you build out a custom dash, you can get more regular equipment in there.

>it just takes time to plan it out.
I probably didn't speak clearly enough about *my* design goals for a stereo:
*) Completely stealth install.
*) Completely reversable, no cuts or screws.
*) Audio only.
*) Very good, but not excellent, sound quality.
*) Sound quality only, no need to boom.
*) Retain stock dash, headunit, changer, and controls.

So, with those design goals, I've been trying to figure out how to do an amp, sub, and fronts to pull it together. I've measured out the cabin, and there's just not enough space to minimize path length differences to get great sound, so I'm just gonna stick with "good" sound and put speakers in the stock location.

I'll have to research what good 1/3 octave stereo EQs are these days. I had EQTs in my competition Civic, that really made things come together. I was thinking about building passive EQs into the speaker setup, but could only do that if there were some peaks to pull down....

But, you're right, if you're willing to go custom, lose to trunk space, and cut some things up, you can go nutso!

--Ed

Ed,
I can see how difficult it can be now. I am not quite sure where you will be able to mount all your stuff and be able to take it out cleanly without cutting or modifying certain parts. Good luck and post some pictures when your done.

I'm getting a little something done from BuzzOff Car Audio. I will try and post some pics of it when I retrieve car. Granted he his 3 hours away from me, after visiting another 'high end shop' in Daytona I got the impression that they just really didn't trust me. I say because I was told to call back with a credit card number before I brought the car back so they could order the products !! I said OK fine, then got to my car and laughed to myself. I then talked at great length with Andrew (BuzzOff) and got a totally different impression. He is a fellow NSX owner and understood everything about the car and what could and couldn't be accomplished. I then took a chance and drove down to his shop and was very impressed by his store. He stayed a few hours after work waiting for my arrival.
Oh about the other shop. He asked if anybody else ever drove the car, I said not very often and then his next suggestion blew my mind. How about we put the subwoofer in an inverted box BEHIND the drivers seat. Talk about not knowing anything about the car. That sealed the deal for me.
Anyway, I'll post pics when I get them.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

I Know you are looking for crazy install pics, but you can do allot with a little if you plan carefully and keep it very simple. You must remember the cabin area of a NSX is very small and therefore will not stage well with lots of drivers all over the place.

Here is what I did and my system looks completly stock but sounds much better.

I pulled the Factory fart box in the footwell and used that area for a my amp. ( you can rebuild a sub box and maybe squeeze a 8" or 10" sub down there, but then the amps have to go behind the seats or in the trunk, not so simple anymore.) In the footwell all the connections for your amp are present for Left & Right channels as well as the remote turn on so installing an amp is quite simple and very few additional wires will need to be run, BIG PLUS.

Now for the key, you will need to squeeze a pair of eight inch component speakers in the door, no they will not mount in the factory mounting bracket so a new mount will need to be fabricated, but they will fit in the door and fit behind the factory grills looking completely stock. The tweeters can be pod mounted, mounted behind the factory grill or flushed into the door panel if your willing to cut the panel.

This is the simplest, best sounding option I have seen or heard for the NSX. No loss of space in the trunk, two large 8" drivers working the bass end, least number of drivers for better imaging, Stealth install, cheaper than custom box building or amp racks, and best of all everyone who gets in your NSX will think the stereo finnaly matches the quality of the rest of the car.

Best of luck and enjoy your new tunes, whatever you choose to do, anything to eliminate another BOSE system is good in my book.

Dave

Originally posted by 92NSX:
Funny you should post that car. I have met that guy a couple of times in Daytona Beach while he was competing in the Spring Break Nationals. I made it a point of finding that car and talking with him. The second time I saw him I started questioning all kinds of things on the car and he really didn't have any good answers for me. My wife said that I was stalking him.LOL
He talked to me about the car but the impression I got from him was that I wasn't in his class of people because at the time I didn't own one.

I've talked to that guy and he just started feeding me total BS about his car even though he knew I owned one (mine was parked maybe 10 yards away). He didn't really seem to know much about cars or the NSX in particular, but he does know a lot about car stereos.

My favorite was when he told me the car ran the 1/4 mile in 11.9 seconds. I looked over the car and his performance mods at the time consisited of: an aftermarket intake. He also had hundreds of pounds of audio gear installed. He would have been lucky to hit mid-13s.

He has done an increadible amount of custom install work and probably wins a lot of shows (and rightly so) but I don't know what his deal is with BSing people.

I don't know what his deal is with BSing people.
See the sticker on the side of the car? "Speed Styles" = BS
They have a shop (if you can call it that) outside of Charlotte... it was a sad sad sight when I saw that car at Hendrick Acura for some service.

William

Thats what I was looking for. That looks absolutely amazing. Also I don't understand why other NSX owners would be so cocky. Most of the ones I meet are really nice and willing to showoff their cars.

[This message has been edited by Cyan NSX (edited 20 September 2002).]

Nice car. Loves chrome huh?
Looked at his dyno sheets. Comptech with 9 lb. of boost and he is only getting 360rwhp? I have the BBSC and am sure I'm getting at least that. I am having car dynoed tomorrow baseline with charger and then having a new program put in and tuning done on it. Only 6 lbs of boost.
Will post results on another thread.

------------------
ALL NSX
92 RED/BLACK 5-SPEED

here's mine, you might have to right click the red X and select SHOW PICTURE
43053919dTFrjF_ph.jpg

23323277UyrOSuisda_ph.jpg

23323234YUDVZjWQXZ_ph.jpg

[This message has been edited by SNDSOUL (edited 20 September 2002).]

Right click on the little red x, and choose 'Properties'.... cut the url outta that... open a new browser window and paste that url into it.. the pics come right up... here's a shot of mine, which SNDSOUL is also responsible for:

nsxinside.jpg

bazooka.jpg

Back