• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone able to provide pics of a real aluminum dash kit installed in one of our cars?

Has anyone seen one installed in person. I called SoS. They do have one despite not advertising on the site. Spoke to Seth who said it would look good. Spoke with Chris today who said getting the existing trim painted would look good and the kit doesn't look very good. Was hoping to "see" one for myself so I could make a decision. Couldn't find any pics in the search function. Anything would be a great help as I've been tring to find the right way to do it for a month. I know I don't want the stick on fake alminum. Anyone know if there are alminum replacement console peices as opposed to stick on. Got idea from Ferrari 360 spider in July 2001 Road and Track
Thanks a lot in advance,
Raj

Thanks but I've never worked with modeling paint in a compressed air spray gun. Any ideas if any types of shops would do this?
Raj

Where are you located? Find a good local model shop & I bet they could refer you to a local enthusiast who would do this for you if you remove the parts. Probably cheaper than taking it to an air-brush artist. Some auto paint shops might be willing to do it but probably less interested in a minor project like that. Some high-end audio shops might also provide that service.
As well as removing the console, you can take the actual vent grilles out of the vent assembly, so the frame can be painted the same colour; the cover comes off the ash-tray; to make it all compatible, remove the door trim panels too.

Thanks. I live in New Orleans. I'll look and see about hobby shops near here and see if I can find someone.
Raj

Raj,
Did you look in the pictures forum? On the "Unofficial Sebring Silver Thread" (sorry I don't know how to provide the link) theres a user named Lazarus who has pictures of his interior with an aluminum kit. I know theres also company that sells kits online that has an aluminum 'stick-on' type kit.

Nate

Thanks everybody.
Nate,
Appreciate the heads up. I just PM'd Lazarus for details. There are multiple places that sell stick on kits. If I go with a kit I want real aluminum as I'd be able to get the texture of the metal. SoS sell this. If not, I'll get the peices painted.
Raj

Re: Anyone able to provide pics of a real aluminum dash kit installed in one of our cars?

pka1 said:
I know I don't want the stick on fake alminum. Anyone know if there are alminum replacement console peices as opposed to stick on.
Most of the aftermarket "dash kits" (including all the CF ones AFAIK) are a stick-on overlay to the OE plastic dash surfaces. Are you looking at a "refinishing" process that would coat (paint, laminate, plating, etc) the OE dash?

The OE JDM "customization" program uses custom-finished ($$$) panels which replace the plastic/metal factory surfaces.

Back