• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone catch Top Gear on History Channel last night

Just wondering what everyone thought. I only watched about 1/2 hour of it and my wife couldn't take it anymore. Viper being chased around by a Cobra attack helicopter. I don't get the BBC version (damn Cablevision) but I think they do a better job based upon the short clips I've seen of it. I guess we'll see.

It was OK. The segments were good. Tanner is good. The other two sucked. We'll see how long it is on the air.

Our own Mark Stepp (NSX-ster) is the editor.

GO MARK!!!!

it was disappointing- the interraction between the hosts seems forced, awkward and sometimes plainly 'not funny'.

It's the first episode...we have to give the show time to mature, then decide. I'm sure the network will know when the viewership is insufficient and pull the plug.

I do think the bearded guy acts like a little girl though!!

It was definitely rocky. . The segments were good, the cineamatography was superb, but the interactions and jokes were definitely forced. I would have to disagree about Tanner. He seems to be a great and a very knowledgeable guy, but a little too "geeky" and not "quirky" enough for the job.

One thing I definitely missed was the ridiculous analogies that Jeremy Clarkson makes and the way he can explain technical car speak to the everyday joe.

"A turbo, exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, with a supercharger, air goes in,witchcraft happens and you go faster."

"Owning a TVR in the past was like owning a bear, I mean it was great, until it pulled your head off, which it would. One day, it would pull your head off. "

I hope that working together more, these guys will loosen up and the interactions will come more natural. . we'll see

It could have been better, but then it could have also been MUCH MUCH worse. My ugly mug was in the background during the Viper scenes. :rolleyes::biggrin:

One of the writers from the UK show was there during taping and he did mention Top Gear UK was "rubbish" as he would put it for the first two years. Hopefully they give this some time to iron out the bugs. Time will tell. :cool:

I agree, they need to keep Tanner F. and lose the other two goofs. The entire show felt very scripted while the BBC version seems like it's all off the cuff and improv. The other two characters were very irritating as it seems they know very little about production cars. Hopefully the BBC creators will fine tune this show and find some new talent.

It was better than I expected. I FFd through the helicopter and sit-down interview parts, but then I do that to the English Top Gear also.

I agree, they need to keep Tanner F. and lose the other two goofs. The entire show felt very scripted while the BBC version seems like it's all off the cuff and improv. The other two characters were very irritating as it seems they know very little about production cars. Hopefully the BBC creators will fine tune this show and find some new talent.

I disagree about keeping Tanner. They should find 3 new hosts!! If the series goes into a 2nd season.

Granted it was the first episode but I was very disappointed. After countless false starts and all the lead up the first episode was not good. Even the Lambo comparison was boring to me and that's hard to do.

It was rubbish!!! And, as others have said, they need new hosts and better material... too hokey for me!!

You know, it took 3 seasons for the BBC version of TopGear to "get it right". Honestly, some of their episodes still come off pretty hokey to me.

With that said- I thought the American TopGear was fair. I think they have potential, but the cast and the production staff need to gain experience and build more of a report with each other and their audience. I read on Jalopnik.com that the show really starts to come together in Episode 3, so I'll keep watching.

I do find it kind of funny how people would compare the first show of the first season of American TopGear to the fully formed, 15th season run BBC version.

I suppose you would expect your average high school football team to be able to go up against an NFL team and win that contest too?

Personally, I'm just happy they are trying for now. I'll wait until next season if that is what it takes to get it right, but even then I'm not comparing them to BBC TopGear.

Quote of the show? "It is exhilarating, but at the same time terrifying. Like being aroused at gunpoint"

P

Last edited:
It was rubbish!!! And, as others have said, they need new hosts and better material... too hokey for me!!

Agreed. They copy 95% of the original verbatim and then go off on their own tangent for the vehicle reviews???

Turned it off half way through.

It was a reasonable first episode. It'll take a while for these guys to develop a chemistry. As has been pointed out, Top Gear UK took a couple series to really get going (and didn't even have James May in the first, so a replacement is a possibility).

Not great, but an enjoyable 42 minutes. I'll watch it next week.

I've been watching these past couple of weeks and have to admit that I enjoyed the show. It does not hold a candle to the Brits (yet) but the crew has not had as much opportunity to develop chemistry. I really like British humor so maybe that's why I like their version better. I hope it lasts.

Back