• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone else ordering an AR today?

I'll put a friendly little wager that when the next Republican president gets into office the ban will be lifted again.

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it.

Unless you really are going to miss your AR for the next 4-8 years...but then again, you could have just bought one in 2004.
:smile:

Good news: model 2TL is ordered.

model-2tl.gif

Bad news: in 6-8 months I may actually get my hands on it. :( I knew they were backordered but not like this.

Time to start picking up some magazines and ammo. What's the consensus on good mags?
Look into something else. 6-8 months might be too late. Can't take possession if it's banned. Tons of other makes that are just as good if not way better. Colt, Noveske, Larue, S&W, POF, LWRC, Barrett, LMT, Daniel Defense, etc, etc. Whats the difference if its left handed? All the controls are still in the same place. Only difference is the ejection port, which doesn't really matter.

As far as mags and ammo, buy whatever you can. Don't be picky. Things are scarce and it isn't going to get any better. 44mag.com is a good place to find mags.

I hope you realize that once you buy one, your going to put more money into accessories or buying more guns. ACOG scopes, Aimpoint sights, etc.

It's equivalent to the Carbon Fiber crack pipe. It never stops.

What the hell is wrong with obama? Is'nt he busy enough writing huge checks for saving the world economy? Leave the guns alone at least long enough for me to stash a few........:cool:

Look into something else. 6-8 months might be too late. Can't take possession if it's banned. Tons of other makes that are just as good if not way better. Colt, Noveske, Larue, S&W, POF, LWRC, Barrett, LMT, Daniel Defense, etc, etc. Whats the difference if its left handed? All the controls are still in the same place. Only difference is the ejection port, which doesn't really matter.

As far as mags and ammo, buy whatever you can. Don't be picky. Things are scarce and it isn't going to get any better. 44mag.com is a good place to find mags.

S&W owns TC so how good do you think the new S&W ARs shoot with the barrel upgrade? but trust me I don't know SH*T about this stuff :wink:

I have a complete POF-416, with other HK416 parts and was thinking about selling it to a friend. I've had it for over 2 years now and have yet to even fire a round through it. But I have shot POF416's before and I love them. if you have the dough and are a collector I would go with a real HK416 or LWRC then step down towards a POF.

If anyone has some cool NSX parts I'm willing to trade for my upper, say a gruppe M intake plus cash on your end for example.

The reason why I never fired the AR is because I got hooked on trap shooting with my Benelli super sport. AR's are fun but I much rather have a shotgun for home protection and everyday use.

Last edited:
Whats the difference if its left handed? All the controls are still in the same place. Only difference is the ejection port, which doesn't really matter.

The last time I shot an AR, I spent the better part of an hour clearing my right eye out and that was enough for me to want left-handed firearms. Why would anyone want any tool that was less suited to them is beyond me?

So that leaves me with 6-8 months of specifying and deciding on optics and accessories. I guess that's part of the fun. ;)

That is one badass pump! What IS that?

I went gun shopping about a month ago, wanted just a simple shotgun, but ended up with a Schmidt Rubin K31 carbine 7.5mm.....

Awesome! Another straight pull Swiss rifle fan. I love my K31; it's a lot more accurate than I am (which isn't saying much, but still :redface:). The action is also incredibly smooth and the whole gun just reeks of quality. Did yours come with a soldier's tag? I have been having trouble finding surplus ammo at the moment though.

I have yet to remove the butt plate to find out :)

The best deal out there on 7.5 x 55 Swiss is here:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=119309

That's where I'm ordering from. I've got some other stuff at home (can't recall the brand offhand). Seems like anything less than a buck a round for this stuff, you're not doing bad. That Sportsmansguide deal is just unbeatable.

Originally, I honestly wanted a Remington 870, but I just absolutely fell in love with my K31. The local gun shop around the corner from my house has a nice 1911 for $199 that I've been thinking about too :wink: . There's just nothing like that straight pull bolt action. Mine I believe is a low serial 1953 model.

Im glad I got all my toys before the election!!!!
I also stocked up at least 500 rounds of ammo per caliber!!!

I see a 33 rounder glock clip! Yay! They are so fun to shoot.

So gearing up for the zombie hoard? You've been playing too much Left 4 Dead lately! :tongue:

Ponyboy,

Have you looked into possibly piecing it together yourself. Maybe someone has a left upper in stock.

You can either buy a complete lower, put the upper and lower together and call it day

or

Put a stripped lower together yourself. It is not really that hard to put the Lower Parts Kit on a strip lower. Tons of DIY info and youtube videos out there. Plus, this will let you learn how to fix it if something goes wrong and you can put parts that you want yourself.

I didn't want a standard Stag stock. I went with the very popular Magpul CTR stock in Dark Earth color. The Magpul and Vltor stocks are the most popular out there.

Plus you might consider changing out the Trigger guard and pistol grip with a Magpul MAID kit. And you can change the trigger to a 2-stage trigger from Rock River Arms (RRA).

Ponyboy,

Have you looked into possibly piecing it together yourself...

Indeed...I've got the local shop I ordered the whole gun from looking for leftie uppers. I narrowed the stock down to a Vltor unit in black, the grip the Magpul MIAD, Tango Down vertical grip, and I'll definitely consider the two stage trigger. I have no idea on optics as the choices are incredibly vast.

I've got two AR books ordered and a DIY DVD as well. Hopefully, with that reference material and all the free stuff on the net, I'll be adequately knowledgable by the time I get the rifle.

Thanks for the input - very appreciated!

The last time I shot an AR, I spent the better part of an hour clearing my right eye out and that was enough for me to want left-handed firearms. Why would anyone want any tool that was less suited to them is beyond me?
Clearing your eye of what? Weren't you wearing eye protection? I know many left hand AR shooters that have no problems. Also, I'm sure there are many LEO/military that are left handed and their AR's/M4's/M16's are more important to them than us. I don't think they have problems either. Besides, you would think, as popular as the AR is, why does only Stag make a left hand upper?

Anyway, if that's the one you want, get it. I just don't think you should limit yourself to just that particular rifle and have to wait. The waiting is the part that worries me. I just don't want you to be SOL.

Clearing your eye of what? Weren't you wearing eye protection?

...whatever I got in my eye from the case being ejected in front of it. Whatever it was didn't come with a label. And yes, I was wearing glasses and ear protection.

I appreciate your concern but a decision was already made several days ago - purchase of a substandard AR platform in a useless left handed version that'll probably explode in the box the second I receive it.

Back