• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone else out there that likes OEM spec wheels best?

I’ve had 17’s, 18’s, & 19 inch wheels but sold them all in favor of the 15” & 16” OEM set up. Love the look of the larger wheels but it rode like a stagecoach!! I feel like the NSX handles better too.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Yes. The most reasonable thing to do if you go aftermarket is to go 17/18 but upgrade suspension to adjust for lost compliance due to reduced sidewall. When setup correctly the only compromise is in increased risk of damaging the wheel itself. Otherwise only benefits: reduced unsprung weight, better traction, better tire choice etc. It's just, unfortunately, many pick heavy wheels as well as lower the car without correcting suspension geometry and having compromised setup and operation. Choose wisely.

I have two sets of Fat Fives: one for winter with studded tires and another set with summer tires. I wanted to get a set of OEM 1995 wheels but I’m worried about the ride quality of the 16” & 17” tires. I think I’m going to get a set of aftermarket lightweight Enkei EDR9’s that look kind of similar to the 2005’s and get them in 15” & 16”. Am I nuts?

Has anyone bought/run aftermarket wheels in OEM 15” & 16” specs? If so could did you like them? Send pics if you got them. Thanks !

I’m just trying to get a set of lightweight aftermarket wheels that look similar to the 2005 wheels but in the smaller 15” and 16” set up. You think the Enkei EDR9’s look close or does anyone have another recommendation? F9343132-0BEA-462E-BA51-9C6392238264.jpeg796828E0-622E-4140-8548-95D0543D29DC.jpeg

as we have mentioned many times yes the car feels more lively with the lighter wheels/tire..and can feel more precise with a plus 1 setup that is still light ,and matched with stiffer roll bars and maybe a mild spring/shock upgrade. The biggest problem with staying small (besides the ridicule of the opposite sex) is lack of tire choices in the higher performance categories..

Ridicule of the opposite sex? Really?

My wife tried to forbid me from selling my Porsche 911 for my Acura NSX...that was almost two years ago and I still haven’t taken her out in it. ��

I personally love the look of the original NSX-R wheels (15/16) made by Enkei.

NSX-R.JPG

I'm a big fan of the OEM 16/17 setup. Only problem is tires -- very limited availability in OEM sizes. I'm running the Conti Extreme Sports (believe that is what they are called -- non OEM spec size on front -- 205/45 instead of 215/45) and although I'm no boy racer on the street (or the track for that matter) what these tires give in terms of ride comfort when compared to the OEM Bridgestone RE010s, they take away in terms of handling prowess. I have nowhere near the confidence in the limits of adhesion of the Contis that I had with the RE010s and this has diminished my enjoyment of the car. Wish I had a minty set of RE010s stored away. I'm going to take the plunge and try a set of the BFG G-Force Rival S 1.5 and see how that works out. As sca037 here in Prime said to me buying tires is like buying a mattress -- you never really know if you are going to like it until you try it out for a while.

Best,
Jeff

I’ve had 17’s, 18’s, & 19 inch wheels but sold them all in favor of the 15” & 16” OEM set up. Love the look of the larger wheels but it rode like a stagecoach!! I feel like the NSX handles better too.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Definitely. I have OEM '02 wheels but still alternate with and prefer the 15/16" wheels and extreme performance tires for handling by far. Unless you're tracking the car and need the extra volume, these little wheels are awesome. Fun fact - The engineers were so adamant about keeping the small front 15" diameter that they compromised on lighter aluminum calipers and had to run stronger but heavier iron calipers. Nissin could not guarantee brake caliper performance with that size aluminum caliper and expected loads.

When I swap on the 16" rears, I also use a 40mm spacer to make the rear flush (and a 15mm spacer up front). This is an old pic and before I corrected the rear camber with TiDave's non-compliance rear beam bushings:

View attachment 159246

The biggest problem with staying small (besides the ridicule of the opposite sex) is lack of tire choices in the higher performance categories..

You must mean the 16/17" sizes because you can get almost every good extreme performance tire (plus your choice of slicks) in the 15/16" sizes.

Hahaha - so funny....you are right, some of those do look like Pontiac wheels that Honda is using.

love the red NSX pic. I’ve always been afraid to use spacers but love how the wheels look flush. What wheels are on your car? Are those the stock OEM but chrome?

Hahaha - so funny....you are right, some of those do look like Pontiac wheels that Honda is using.

love the red NSX pic. I’ve always been afraid to use spacers but love how the wheels look flush. What wheels are on your car? Are those the stock OEM but chrome?

We can get scientific with geometry changes, but bottom line is that there are no observable handling differences, and even Porsche uses spacers on some OE models.

Thanks - After years of painting the fat fives, I finally spent some time stripping everything off down to the bare aluminum. It's not quite as shiny as chrome (not really a fan of chrome), but IMO it looks pretty good (and saves even more weight)!

Last edited:
Definitely. I have OEM '02 wheels but still alternate with and prefer the 15/16" wheels and extreme performance tires for handling by far. Unless you're tracking the car and need the extra volume, these little wheels are awesome. Fun fact - The engineers were so adamant about keeping the small front 15" diameter that they compromised on lighter aluminum calipers and had to run stronger but heavier iron calipers. Nissin could not guarantee brake caliper performance with that size aluminum caliper and expected loads.

When I swap on the 16" rears, I also use a 40mm spacer to make the rear flush (and a 15mm spacer up front). This is an old pic and before I corrected the rear camber with TiDave's non-compliance rear beam bushings:

View attachment 159246

You must mean the 16/17" sizes because you can get almost every good extreme performance tire (plus your choice of slicks) in the 15/16" sizes.

yes the bee is a 96 so there is limited 16/17 choice...and I made the mistake of assuming the 15 inchers had the same issue.

I will have to agree. OEM 16/17 Type-S wheels ftw.

Kg2lPI8.jpg

Back