• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone finish their garage floor?

This may be a bit off topic, but I'm curious if anyone has finished their garage floor and what they think of the result. I was at NH Northern today and they sell a product to coat a concrete floor that looked kind of cool on the box. I think Griots sells something as well. Anyone have any experience with these products?

I have not used there products but I plan on having my floor coated in epoxy.

I hear the Griots Stuff is excellent, however.

------------------
1991 NSX Red/Black

I've used the Griots paint. It is a lot of work to apply right and it is a little expensive but it is an excellent product and looks and wears good.

BEHR makes a 1 step epoxy 'paint' that you roll on. I got mine at Home Depot for about 25.00 for a 2 car garage. I'll be doing mine in 2 weeks once I have my built-in's installed. I'll let you know how it goes. There's several different colors. I talked to a guy that's done a bunch of them and he says it's easy. The only thing I'm not nuts about is that you're supposed to wait 7 days before you park cars on it which means the NSX sleeps in the drive way for a week
frown.gif

Dave
'94 Brooklands Green Pearl

I bought tile, about a year ago, to lay on my floor. I am going to do all white with a red Acura logo in the center. Now all I have to do is find the ambition.

I did mine when I was repainting my house/garage 2 years ago. I used a new product introoduced at Kelly Moore (came in different flat colors; it was water based - I just used light gray; it was about $35 a gallon) that guaranteed no peeling from hot spotted tire marks ........... oh yeah ........
mad.gif

Prepped the floor, applied two coats (used two gallons for a two car garage) and within a months it started peeling!!! But only where the tires rest; the rest has been fine

After several phonecalls to the distributor rep, they sent me a gallon of the real industrial quality stuff, apparently those cost over $100 ...... I have not applied it since the hassle of moving everything out is too much.

Moral of the story, if it is not epoxy and expensive probably it will not do the job; read the label and make sure it will not peel where your tires rest, especially after a nice spirited ride .....
wink.gif

My experience with concrete paint has been a bad one. I've used both regular concrete paint (including polyurethane) and the epoxy stuff that it's not supposed to peel off from the floor when hot wet tires rest on it. I've never used the Griot's paint so I can't comment on that.

After repeated frustration seeing many layers of paint just peel off I found a plastic tile that comes in different colors, it's easy to install and clean up. It looks terrific and feels good under your feet. These tiles are not affected by your wet/hot tires or anything else you care to drop on them. However, the plastic tiles dent when you use a jack to lift up your car so you have to put the jack on a wooden board before you jack up the car. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with the stuff. The cost for an average two car garage is about $1,200. The product I believe is called MotorMat and I bought it from some place in Salt Lake City. I highly recommend this product to those of you who are considering painting your garage floor. It's more expensive but you will only have to do it once.

I painted my new garage floor about 5 years ago with the Behr kit from Home Depot.
Overall I'm very happy with the results. It went on very easy, covered very well and has held up better than just painting it. Used a roller with a broom extension and painted half at a time.
There was a grated cheese shaker full of paint chips that you sprinkle on the wet paint. I was concerned the paint chips would attract dirt so I followed up with a coat of clear epoxy afterwards, somewhat a mistake as the clear came up where the sun shines but the color is still good. It washes with soap and a floor broom and still shines well and makes working on the NSX much easier by not getting scuffed up on a bare concrete floor. I had to park in the driveway for a few days, no biggie it was worth it. There are quite a few scratches from the motorcycle kickstand but still looks great from parking a car on it.

I did mine 5.5 years ago the day we closed on the house - knew it would never get it done if I didn't do it before moving in. I used something from a local paint store since I didn't trust the cheap stuff at Home Dumpo. Treated the floor first with muriatic acid.
Still looks good, no peeling, cleans up well. Only problems have been in trying to get cars up on ramps. The floor paint is just slick enough that I can get a little tire slip and the paint has been ripped up a bit in those spots. I'd like to do the tile that Griot's have but the price is absurd!

------------------
Andrew Henderson
The NSX Model List Page

"We have long acknowledged that enthusiasm for things automotive is a sure
sign of emotional instability if not outright dementia"
- Brock Yates

The key is to never use water/latex based products no matter what they claim. The other important thing is in the preperation. The floor must be CLEAN.Several
washes with acid are a must.Then it MUST be dry before applying the product. Remember, concrete absorbs water, even when cured. Water and any paint do not go well together. After washing/cleaning/acid treating the floor( and rinsing well), run a de-humidifier in the closed garage for a few days to draw the moisture up out of the floor. Yeah, it takes a lot of time, but if you want the job to last, it's all in the prep.

We used something extremely similar to the Griots stuff (when the garage floor was painted, the griots stuff wasnt available). It is EXTREMELY durable, although we have the floor painted every 5 years or so because its such a high traffic area with cars in and out all the time. It is definitely something i would recommend though, as it makes clean up extremely easy. Grease etc can be mopped off instead of soaking into the concrete. I couldnt find a pic of just the floor, but I think you can get the general idea from this one.
http://www.s4.org/joshd/images/AZM3/IMG_2024.jpg

I used the 12" x 12" industrial flooring in black and light gray. I also use the smart-park pads to park each car on, but the flooring looks great, and seems to be holding up quite well over the past 2.5 years, and at $0.69 per tile from Lowes, it isn't an expensive venture. Everyone that sees it is very complementary.

Nothing you can buy publicly lasts as long as Sta-Crete, a coating that is used by the US Air Force in their aircraft hangers.

The only place I know you can buy this is a paint shop in Everett, WA. I can't remember the exact name, but if you call around, you'll get them sooner or later.

I put Sta-Crete on my garage floor in my Newcastle, WA home - best stuff made.

If you want, EMail me and I can send you a picture of the garage.

To my knowledge, anything you buy from Sears or any public outlet will peel off in little flakes within the first year or two. I did a ton of research on this matter before I found Sta-Crete (which was by luck).

Best way to apply any coating is to do so after machine etching (chem just doesn't do as well). If I recall, nothing (including Sta-Crete) will hold up to hot NSX tires without peeling off if the floor hasn't been properly etched.

------------------
David Allen
'00 Silverstone NSX-T
Comptech SC, Headers, Intake, Exhaust & a little Mark Basch tweakage

I painted mine with the Behr 2 part epoxy paint two years ago. It has chipped and peeled, so I can't say I'm too happy with it. I prepared the concrete as per the directions. If you're looking for the thick painted floors like they have at dealerships you can hire someone but the price is very very high.

I think I will end up tiling the floor one of these days. Just need to find a clearance sale on tiles one day. The price may be comparable to 2 part epoxy paint.

Those who have tiles on the garage floors, are they ceramic tiles?

[This message has been edited by Ag NSX (edited 03 June 2002).]

Originally posted by acura of augusta:
do you have any photos? carpet sounds cool

I don't have any photos but it is really great. Cleaning the car or whatever is like sitting on your livingroom floor. Stays perfectly clean and I just hit it once in a while with the leaf blower. Vac'ed it once but nothing even came up but I'm a neat freak, so.... The blower works great.

Actually, it's a shag carpet. Todd just recently had it installed. You know, it's yellow - to match his car.
biggrin.gif

I have a three car garage and the side that the NSX parks in, I have a special garage carpet that was purchased and installed from Home Depot. It looks great and since the car doesn't go out in the rain, there isn't any problems. I previously had the entire garage epoxy painted and the 2 spots where my other cars are parked, it is still epoxy painted grey. It is great but is VERY VERY SLIPPERY when WET! Other than that, I would recommend carpet. Good luck.

So it sounds like painting sometimes works and sometimes does not. I haven't yet decided if its a mistake to paint a clean new concrete floor.

I used Griots epoxy paint about 6 years ago. It has worn very well and has not peeled or lifted up. The trick as I stated earlier is the prep. You have to etch the floor with muratic acid. The instructions they give you are very good and Griots will answer any questions over the phone. There is some question whether or not to use a water or petroluem base paint. The water based epoxy seems to hold up better on any petroleum based spills. My floor could use another coat now but the durability has been excellent.

Back