• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone got HDR photos of NSX?

I got a Canon Rebel XSi for christmas, haven't had time to learn how to use it right. someday soon i guess. either way keep the great pics coming.

With the right camera, tripod, and software is extremely easy :)

Here are couple from Saturday:

new6gg.jpg

new3.jpg

does this count?

Attachments

• nsx.jpg
    nsx.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 219
With the right camera, tripod, and software is extremely easy :)

Here are couple from Saturday:

new6gg.jpg

new3.jpg

What did the original image(s) look like out of curiousity? Those look damn nice. For some reason even following tutorials my images end up super ugly and messed up (much worse than the original image).

ok i figured out the problem. The Qtpfsgui I had was the "stable" aka OLD one that doesn't let you choose the exposure for each image. Once I switched to the new one and set the exposure for each picture I got this:

nsxhdrtest.jpg

nsxhdrrear.jpg

Last edited:
I got a Canon Rebel XSi for christmas, haven't had time to learn how to use it right. someday soon i guess. either way keep the great pics coming.

That's what I'm using, a Rebel XSi :)

What did the original image(s) look like out of curiousity? Those look damn nice. For some reason even following tutorials my images end up super ugly and messed up (much worse than the original image).

What program are using to put them together? Using a tripod? make sure it's 100% adjusted, a slight wind can move the camera a tiny bit and damage the whole HDR...

Here are the 3 photos that I took, if you want take them and try making an HDR out of them :)

Photo 1
Cake035.jpg

Photo 2
Cake034.jpg

Photo 3
Cake036.jpg

HDR
new3.jpg

comptech widebody, forgot who made it, maybe it's wingwest afterall... looks like a bullfrog.

Don't go there Chris!!

:biggrin: Does it require a wide-body front end?

Either way, if someone could give me specific brand and type of this front end, I would appreciate it. I'm trying to explore my options, it's just hard (for me anyway) to find the companies/web-sites that carry all these body parts that I like.

Last edited:
:biggrin: Does it require a wide-body front end?

Either way, if someone could give me specific brand and type of this front end, I would appreciate it. I'm trying to explore my options, it's just hard (for me anyway) to find the companies/web-sites that carry all these body parts that I like.

The front end requires wide fenders. You can find similar kits on ebay. The original kit from Comptech had a two piece front end. There was a local Torontonian who fabricated the widebody lip on his stock bumper. Wings west made the kits for comptech. You should try contacting them to see if they can help you out.

That's what I'm using, a Rebel XSi :)

What program are using to put them together? Using a tripod? make sure it's 100% adjusted, a slight wind can move the camera a tiny bit and damage the whole HDR...

Here are the 3 photos that I took, if you want take them and try making an HDR out of them :)

Photo 1
Cake035.jpg

Photo 2
Cake034.jpg

Photo 3
Cake036.jpg

HDR
new3.jpg

That looks great. Im assuming your friends in the background moving right? How did you change the settings so fast that you were able to get an almost perfect similar shot?

That looks great. Im assuming your friends in the background moving right? How did you change the settings so fast that you were able to get an almost perfect similar shot?

You can set the Rebel XSi to shoot with 3 different exposures in a single shot. You set it on the tripod, set the timer (or remote if you have one) and shoot... the camera will take 3 photos by itself with different exposures (if it's not on the tripod it is 99.99% impossible to get it right)...

I believe most SLRs cameras have this feature.

The shutter does take 3 pictures fairly quickly (the nicer the camera the faster it can do it I think). The feature is called auto bracketing and you tell the camera how many images to take and what was + and - exposures and it does the rest. That way it takes all 3 (or 5, whatever) images all right in a row with very little time in between.

Looking at those 3 pics overlayed in photoshop you can see that the people did in fact move a tiny bit between shots. I'm not sure how photoshop would handle that. If you had a crop of the original size of the part with the guy standing between the 2 cars you might be able to tell he moved.

You can set the Rebel XSi to shoot with 3 different exposures in a single shot. You set it on the tripod, set the timer (or remote if you have one) and shoot... the camera will take 3 photos by itself with different exposures (if it's not on the tripod it is 99.99% impossible to get it right)...

I believe most SLRs cameras have this feature.

Hmmmm.....I guess ill have to look at my D50's instruction manual.

I took some pics yesterday and made some HDRs... I'm not very good at this yet.

Niko_Fx I'd like to hear about the process you use to do this.

These were made as follows: 3 images with auto bracketing 0, -1.66 and +1.66.. Converted from RAW to DNG. Then i opened them in Qtpfsgui and used the default settings to make a Mantiuk version and a Drago image (saved as bmp), then I open them in photoshop and add the drago image in a layer above the Mantiuk and change the mode to overlay on the drago layer with 66% or so opacity.

BlueSkyHDR.jpg

HotdogStandHDR.jpg

MyCar1-HDR.jpg

SilverandYelloHDRw.jpg

SilverSiblings-HDR.jpg

Yellow-HDR.jpg

lynnwoody-HDR.jpg

nsxlineuphdr.jpg

nsx-frontin-hdr.jpg

I'm a newbie when it comes to photography, but i was able to take some pics using the 3 picture method n then create hdr with photomatix. Thanks for the help on Friday NIKO. I made them to my taste but changing the look is fairly easy with the software. Enjoy.

IMG_5606_4_5.jpg

IMG_5609_7_8.jpg

IMG_5657_5_6.jpg

IMG_5651_49_50.jpg

IMG_5630_28_29.jpg

IMG_5624_2_3.jpg

See the pictures I posted, results are MORE then decent. :)

Yeah they look pretty neat - most of the 'HDR look' images are really actually just compressing the DR of the entire shot. Bringing up the shadows, bringing down the highlights a bit. You can do pretty close to the same thing if you have skill with curve layers. That being said, this isn't true HDR, a captured RAW image has a set DR - if you blow highlights or lack info in the shadow areas you won't be able to do anything about it regardless of how much you tweak the exposure slider in some raw converter (like ACR) - multi frame HDR actually spans a much broader DR and captures more info. Additionally raising the shadow levels can introduce alot of shadow noise. However to get the 'HDR look' everybody wants, often you can use a single frame.

I'm a newbie when it comes to photography, but i was able to take some pics using the 3 picture method n then create hdr with photomatix. Thanks for the help on Friday NIKO. I made them to my taste but changing the look is fairly easy with the software. Enjoy.
Nice job!

All this is making me want to figure out how to do this with my Nikon D40.

Some Help,can i get a list started on the software.I'm a newbe to this it looks freaking awesome. I must learn how to do this. I have p/s 7 any software easyer...............thanks for your time...bill

Last edited:
WOW GUYS SERIOUS!! GREAT PICTURES...Ive been playing around with a lil HDR too lately...

here are my pics..

TurboRabbitHDR.jpg

TurboRabbitHDR3.jpg

TurboRabbitHDR4.jpg

and one of the city of Coral Gables..

CoralGablesHDR.jpg

still learning...

Back