• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

anyone have itb's on their nsx?

Just curious if any has any video clips and sounds of their nsx with itb's? (itb = individual throttle bodys)

I am curious of how loud it is for street use. Thanks. :smile:

I don't think ITB's are even street legal. But then again i'd love to have one :biggrin:

Cambo said:
Why not? M3's have ITB's stock.

I don't think the ITB is the issue, its the ITB specifically for the NSX that may give you emmisions trouble.

i've seen itb's on Top End's nsx. pretty sick! but here in the states, i have yet to see an nsx with itb's. but i think it's pretty common place for s2k's, itr's, preludes, etc.

i don't that itbs' are illegal, the sound they give off might be illegal though, since it will go over the allowed db rating, and you'll be fined. anyone with more knowledge of this?

c.jpg

-Rodrez--544299112.jpg

Lots of civic have ITB's, im pretty sure its 100% Legal, maybe emissions in some states might be a problem?

Thanks guys,

But I was looking for clips and videos of a nsx with itb's on. :tongue:
I know in CA its probably going to be a no no and not legal. But I was just curious about it. I spoke to the guys at autowave and they said that itb's are really hard to tune and you don't gain that much from them. But oh wells I was just curious about them......thanks for the responses though. :smile:

It's not that the itb's themselves are against emmisions. It's that you usually use them in a race application, and when tuning for a race application it will most likely not come out legal. They bring in soooo much more air which requires soooo much more fuel. This results in an extremely illegal output. I think I got this right. :)

I was looking at them myself.Love that look.The problem I could see is cost per gain.The cost being the ITB's themselves(worth every penny for the way they look) and an air cleaner set-up.I don't mean just any set-up,you would need one that didn't kill the look but rather added to it and that would be expensive.Maybe an air cleaner machined from a billet piece with some sort of see-through lid so that they would still be visible.
Yes I have put alot of thought into this and even talked to Chris about them myself.

All I can say is,who-ever buys them and gets them on,I personally will give them a "Standing ovation" .

Stacy

spyderplayer2002 said:
It's not that the itb's themselves are against emmisions. It's that you usually use them in a race application, and when tuning for a race application it will most likely not come out legal. They bring in soooo much more air which requires soooo much more fuel. This results in an extremely illegal output. I think I got this right. :)

One of my race cars uses 6 ITB's and the tone is intoxcating to say the least.
Throttle response is increased under acceleration as well as mid-top range hp.
However, you will have a decrease in air velocity on the lower end, so expect a little bogging on a hill. Tuning them isn't diffiuclt, if you know what you're doing and have the proper synchronizing tools.
I've seen many of the modern day tuners run into throttle bodies and get completely lost with what should be done. ITB's must be mechanically synchronized and have absolutely nothing to do with laptop tuning initially. Whenever you use any type of ITB, the "tuned" runner length will make or break performance; so be aware of the type of manifold, size of TB and velocity stack you choose. For street application and overall driveability, I'd recommend no larger than 40mm, however I have used straight 45mm TB's but used lower diff. gears to compensate for low end performance. Optimizing the performance of ITB's also has to do with proper cam and cam durantion, compression and porting the heads to maximize the new found airflow.

Last edited:
Hoover said:
One of my race cars uses 6 ITB's and the tone is intoxcating to say the least.
Throttle response is increased under acceleration as well as mid-top range hp.
However, you will have a decrease in air velocity on the lower end, so expect a little bogging on a hill. Tuning them isn't diffiuclt, if you know what you're doing with them and have the proper synchronizing tools.
I've seen many of the modern day tuners run into throttle bodies and get completely lost with what should be done. ITB's must be mechanically synchronized and have absolutely nothing to do with laptop tuning initially. Whenever you use any type of ITB, the "tuned" runner length will make or break performance; so be aware of the type of manifold, size of TB and velocity stack you choose. For street application and overall driveability, I'd recommend no larger than 40mm, however I have used straight 45mm TB's but used lower diff. gears to compensate for low end performance.

This is completely off topic but I was reading about the old Mazda 787B race car, and it actually had telescoping itb's for low end response that shortened as the revs went up. Which resulted in a ton of top end power for just four rotors.

spyderplayer2002 said:

In California, the rule is that you can't change anything from the air filter to the cats, inclusive, unless OEM or equivalent unless a CARB EO is available for it. ITBs are not street legal in CA. That's not to say people don't do it, just that technically, it's not legal. Actually, even if one were able to tune it to be cleaner than stock, it'd still be illegal because it doesn't have an EO.

It sucks to be a performance car guy in CA.

J

spyderplayer2002 said:
This is completely off topic but I was reading about the old Mazda 787B race car, and it actually had telescoping itb's for low end response that shortened as the revs went up. Which resulted in a ton of top end power for just four rotors.

Porsche had this on the 993 after 1996, I think they called it varioram.

ediddynsx said:
Just curious if any has any video clips and sounds of their nsx with itb's? (itb = individual throttle bodys)

I am curious of how loud it is for street use. Thanks. :smile:

I couldn't find it but I remember seeing a vid of Chris@SOS NSX at one of the NSXPOs and I think he had the ITBs on his car then. It was a taping of several NSXs in a line....anyone know what I'm talking about?

bump for an old thread. i would also like to see some itb videos. i know at least one car from the best motoring clip in the gallery had em but the clip is in realplayer format and craps out before that car comes up. anyone have it in a better format?

found a video converter and fixed the hot version vid... but the toda car is only in it for about 3 minutes :(

Back