• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone own/owned a Gen II Viper?

Greetings everyone. I have been a long time fan of the NSX-T and currently seeking some thoughts/opinions from you guys.

I currently own 97 Viper RT/10 Blue with white stripes (only 53 made). The car just turned 20,000 miles and in amazing condition. It currently pushes 470 HP to the wheels (basic bolt on's and tune). The car is a weekend blaster and I love it. However, I was recently approached with a great offer for it and would consider selling it if I found another car that is worthy for me to enjoy. If not, I was planning on keeping it and possibly supercharging in the next year.

I know the Viper and the NSX are completely different cars, but how would you compare a supercharged NSX vs a stock Gen II viper or even a supercharged one? I have driven a few NSX's and they are great cars, but I fear I would miss the power of the viper that I have become used to. The viper is a weekend blaster only and never even come close driving it to its limits or tracked. Its more of a weekend cruiser/spirited runs, however, I do enjoy the feeling of boost now and then and feel like im ready to have a supercharged vehicle. Here are a few must haves for any car I would get:

Targa style or a vert
Manual
Something rare/unique
Reliability
Budget: around $50-$55k (including supercharger)

I did some searches but felt that I wanted to get more insights from people who have owned/own a viper. I have read some threads in the past that has debated this topic before, but I felt mine situation is a bit different. Thanks in advance!

BTW, here are some pics of my viper:

The cars are apples and oranges.
You cannot replace the torque from your V10 with a supercharged V6.
Stay with the Viper or buy a Corvette

This is the NSX Owners forum. Inferior vehicles do not belong here, and are of no interest whatsoever.

Not sure if sarcasm or all seriousness.....

Buy EAC's turbo nsx. That should fill you need for power.

Here is a link.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...urbocharged-500-HP-6-Speed-BBK-Immaculate-NSX

Great looking viper btw.

Thanks for the info, NetViper and compliments. That's impressive to have a car with 150k + miles and still run strong.

What kind of costs could one expect from adding a supercharger or turbo? I have read many say going turbo is really not that much more and will have a better outcome. I don't race my car or anything like that, I just want something that I can enjoy driving on the streets with some boost. Is there a advantages of getting a specific year when adding FI? I would need to get at least a 95+ since I want the targa. Thanks again.

Last edited:
This is the NSX Owners forum.

Perhaps what Scammy means is this is an owners forum and maybe this thread belongs in the General Discussion forum.
Does anyone think going to a Viper Owners Forum, posting pics of an NSX, and telling all how you like big torque but want a Viper that handles better is a good idea?
Maybe in a general discussion without the pics etc

Perhaps what Scammy means is this is an owners forum and maybe this thread belongs in the General Discussion forum.
Does anyone think going to a Viper Owners Forum, posting pics of an NSX, and telling all how you like big torque but want a Viper that handles better is a good idea?
Maybe in a general discussion without the pics etc

wow...that's pretty sad. I felt my post was pretty genuine and I am really interested in the NSX. I wanted to hear from those that actually have or do own both cars so they can give an insightful recommendation.

I've driven a couple Vipers (including a 2nd Gen Coupe) and it's a very different car than the NSX to be sure.
Amazing torque to say the least, but the NSX has bettered several aspects of the driving experience IMHO.

The cockpit ergonomics are improved, no offset pedals, a light shifter and better visibility too.
Oh, and you won't get baked inside due to engine / exhaust heat.
The NSX just comes off as a much lighter feeling and toss-able 'sports' car, not the heavier feeling 'GT' car experience.

IF you found yourself a nicely boosted targa NSX (yes, EAC's looks like a good example) you might just have the best of both worlds.

My $ .02,
Brian
(we have a '92 coupe with 600whp, and it's a truly mind-warping experience to drive ;-)

Do you know Ben Treynor? Lucky bastard who's father in law was a professor at Stanford and introduced Ben to the founders at Google.... the rest is swimming in money history....

Ben is the guy that makes sure Google is up and running all the time.

http://www.treynor.com/BenMain.htm

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum.../726513-finally-enough-garage-space-woot.html

http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/12/treynor/

When I met him I think he had the most powerful Viper at the time (I believe it was your Gen Viper too) making 1100rwhp TQ and about 1krwhp on pump gas with a centrifugal blower.

I asked him was a good street-able power was and he said that 850rwhp was max. Past that and your life flashes in front of you when you spin Viper wide tires at freeway speeds.

Yes we live in the same 'hood.....

Welcome ZMoney! As someone who recently just acquired an NSX-T, I will tell you that I tried a bunch of cars out (though not a Viper). I questioned my decision all the way up until the night I took delivery and realized I owned it. At first, I was underwhelmed by the power (and this is coming from a Civic). However, I realized you have to push the car past 4,000 RPM to really have fun. Otherwise, it makes for an elegant and refined cruiser that gets attention anywhere you go.

As for your Viper, you really only live once and it's great that you got a good offer on it. I'd say you've had your time with it and should try a new vehicle. With the new NSX being just around the corner and interest picking up on the Gen I again (resale values are steady or climbing), you might be ditching one asset at the top and picking up another one right before it appreciates. My 2 cents, good luck on whatever you decide!

If that was a GTS I would be knocking on your door... Beautiful car BTW :)

Go out and TEST DRIVE one. The visibility and feel of the car is quite a bit different, they don't have a lot of power (even with a SC) but they are reliable and amazing handling cars. The viper is a great handling/performing car but it a raw brute way that I love. The NSX is on the other end of the spectrum by maximizing every little detail (albeit lower to begin with - smaller motor, tires, weight, etc...) rather than the viper's "Efficiently worse, but more = more" character (which I again love).

A 996 Turbo Cabriolet might be right up your alley...

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was planning on checking out this NSX below since I love that color and its very close to my house (only a few miles). I noticed it has been up for sale for quite some time. Anyone have any history on it? I spoke with the owner just a bit ago and seems like a nice guy and had done all the engine work during his ownership. It is already supercharged and looks pretty clean:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/106962-2000-Monaco-Blue-CTSC-Vin-JH4NA2161YT000048

I felt my post was pretty genuine and I am really interested in the NSX. I wanted to hear from those that actually have or do own both cars so they can give an insightful recommendation.

And my post was genuine too.
Your initial post talked about how you love your Viper, what good shape its in, how low the mileage is, how rare it is, here's some pics, maybe I'll supercharge it, etc.
I couldn't see why you would say all that on an NSX forum unless you were really just trying to sell your car.
I didn't think this was the appropriate forum.
Sorry if my comments came out the wrong way.

A 996 Turbo Cabriolet might be right up your alley...

Thanks for your feedback!

They are amazing cars, but see WAY too many around here in Orange County (even the newport milfs). What I love about both the NSX and Viper, is how rare they are. Really are a treat to see them on the road.

Thanks for the info, NetViper and compliments. That's impressive to have a car with 150k + miles and still run strong.

What kind of costs could one expect from adding a supercharger or turbo? I have read many say going turbo is really not that much more and will have a better outcome. I don't race my car or anything like that, I just want something that I can enjoy driving on the streets with some boost. Is there a advantages of getting a specific year when adding FI? I would need to get at least a 95+ since I want the targa. Thanks again.

I think the 3.0 are better for more boost, but they have weaker head gaskets. I think EAC's car is pretty awesome. Going turbo to me isnt better than going SC, but it does give you the option to make a lot more power if you want it. That typically also involved building the motor, which isn't cheap. I am very happy with my 2000 CTSC. Set it and forget it. :)

I think the 3.0 are better for more boost, but they have weaker head gaskets. I think EAC's car is pretty awesome. Going turbo to me isnt better than going SC, but it does give you the option to make a lot more power if you want it. That typically also involved building the motor, which isn't cheap. I am very happy with my 2000 CTSC. Set it and forget it. :)

Great to hear. How many miles have you put on your supercharger? I came upon this NSX on Craigslist and is local to me. I saw that it was on sale here for quite some time: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/106962-2000-Monaco-Blue-CTSC-Vin-JH4NA2161YT000048

What do you think a fair price for that kind of car would be (assuming everything checks out and clean)? I saw he went down to $50k at one point and seems like it still did not sell...

Great to hear. How many miles have you put on your supercharger? I came upon this NSX on Craigslist and is local to me. I saw that it was on sale here for quite some time: http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/106962-2000-Monaco-Blue-CTSC-Vin-JH4NA2161YT000048

What do you think a fair price for that kind of car would be (assuming everything checks out and clean)? I saw he went down to $50k at one point and seems like it still did not sell...

He went down on the price and that was 2009.... The market was crashed and the economy went down at that time. Thing is picking up now and the price also goes with it. Maybe he will let it go at that price ...who knows, but it would not hurt to ask.

Looks like Zmoney lives in Cali and buying a turbo car might not be ideal for him since he has to deal with smog/inspection issue every two years.

Greetings everyone. I have been a long time fan of the NSX-T and currently seeking some thoughts/opinions from you guys.

I did some searches but felt that I wanted to get more insights from people who have owned/own a viper. I have read some threads in the past that has debated this topic before, but I felt mine situation is a bit different. Thanks in advance!

I have owned my Viper for almost 12 years now and supercharged mine about 9-10 years ago. I actually thought about supercharging sooner as the power is so linear that it gives no accelerative drama when driving. The downside to the SCer is it takes more care and feeding which has led to me driving it less and less due to being busier.

Now as for the NSX, I say buy the Monaco blue one you posted for sale. Coming from a Viper I would skip NA NSX’s and go for a SCed one. If you like to tinker and want to make your hobby harder think about turbocharging, otherwise go with a SCer. When I am in the Viper I expect it to be fast and if/when it isn’t I am disappointed. I do not feel the same in the NSX as it gives so much more in the way of steering feel and seating position. I was thinking about going to the “high” boost pulley on mine but I doubt I will as I am not sure the extra 30hp is needed versus the added work. The bottom line IMHO is if you switch to the blue NSX you posted you will be very satisfied. If you are the type to do highway pulls and impress with dyno numbers however, the NSX is not very strong in those areas.

This is the NSX Owners forum. Inferior vehicles do not belong here, and are of no interest whatsoever.

Hahaha, oh how fun the hobby must be for you when you only want to talk about one car. Snore...

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Viper Aaron. It sounds like the SC NSX will be the right choice for me as my next car. I am going to check out the blue one I posted this week. Any pics of your nsx and viper? Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Welcome, I recognize your car from the viper forums.

I currently own an NSX and do not own a Viper, yet, but have driven a few in the last few months.

For the last 3 months I have been actively searching for a 96/97 Blue and White GTS to add to my garage, but have not pulled the trigger. Most of the cars I am finding are out in California and that is too far for me right now.

The looks of the Viper are what lured me in, but the power is what made me want to buy one. If you are accustomed to the power in your car a stock NSX is probably not going to do much for you, I would look at a boosted one. The NSX is obviously much more nimble. The seating position and forward view is completely different. In the NSX you don't really see the hood, as opposed to looking over the long hood of the Viper. The NSX is much easier and more friendly to drive, just look at the mileage of used Vipers vs the mileage on a used NSX. A/C failure is not that uncommon in an NSX, but when working it is much better than a Viper. The ergonomics are better in the NSX, but compared to today's cars the interior of the NSX is not that much better than an Viper IMO (I am probably in the minority here on this one).

To me the Viper feels heavier and more planted to the road, while the NSX feels lighter and more tossable. The NSX is certainly unique and you will get some attention/questions about it. The reliability of the NSX is good, but will obviously cost more than an accord, it tends to eat rear tires, even more so than a Viper. An NSX will require a timing belt and water pump service about every 7 years to the tune of about $3000. Also, with many NSXs having higher mileage than similar year Vipers, things can tend to be closer to their useful life and need replacing.

I have no interest in selling my NSX, but do want the option of something different with more power which is why I am looking to add a GTS.

I currently own an NSX and do not own a Viper, yet, but have driven a few in the last few months.

For the last 3 months I have been actively searching for a 96/97 Blue and White GTS to add to my garage, but have not pulled the trigger. Most of the cars I am finding are out in California and that is too far for me right now.

The looks of the Viper are what lured me in, but the power is what made me want to buy one. If you are accustomed to the power in your car a stock NSX is probably not going to do much for you, I would look at a boosted one. The NSX is obviously much more nimble. The seating position and forward view is completely different. In the NSX you don't really see the hood, as opposed to looking over the long hood of the Viper. The NSX is much easier and more friendly to drive, just look at the mileage of used Vipers vs the mileage on a used NSX. A/C failure is not that uncommon in an NSX, but when working it is much better than a Viper. The ergonomics are better in the NSX, but compared to today's cars the interior of the NSX is not that much better than an Viper IMO (I am probably in the minority here on this one).

To me the Viper feels heavier and more planted to the road, while the NSX feels lighter and more tossable. The NSX is certainly unique and you will get some attention/questions about it. The reliability of the NSX is good, but will obviously cost more than an accord, it tends to eat rear tires, even more so than a Viper. An NSX will require a timing belt and water pump service about every 7 years to the tune of about $3000. Also, with many NSXs having higher mileage than similar year Vipers, things can tend to be closer to their useful life and need replacing.

I have no interest in selling my NSX, but do want the option of something different with more power which is why I am looking to add a GTS.

Thank you for the feedback! Much appreciated. Good luck with your search for a GTS...they are a blast!

For the last 3 months I have been actively searching for a 96/97 Blue and White GTS to add to my garage, but have not pulled the trigger. Most of the cars I am finding are out in California and that is too far for me right now..
I think you need an RT/10, or a silver one ;)

Back