• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone owned '01-'02 BMW M Coupe?

I feel like with any high performance expensive car, you have to pay to play. That's how it usually works.

Maintenance: rear tires, cooling system problems when you get in higher mileage-easily remedied with replacement parts whether it's hoses, radiator, thermostat or water pump. They say you need to do valve adjustments I believe every 15-30k as I remember.

Buy a six speed e46 m3 and you'll never look back. Trust me. Easily one of the most fun most balanced cars ever

It's weird, I've had more problems with my regular e46s than the m ones. Maybe that's just me.

Indeed, just have to be mentally prepared for it.

I drove these cars, and they are fun!!!

Vance

What does the op title say?
It's not asking for hearsay.

Just stating the fact. My big bro went through hell with his M5 and my buddy Johnny had major issues with his 2002 M3. As for my brother's M5, he also had electrical problems.

^^maybe they could have been lemons..idk, just trying to make sense out of it. dont want to scare the OP out of cars that really are awesome.

its true though. dont kid yourself into thinking european car ownership is cheap...it comes with its higher prices...but then again smiles per miles are plentiful

^^maybe they could have been lemons..idk, just trying to make sense out of it. dont want to scare the OP out of cars that really are awesome.

its true though. dont kid yourself into thinking european car ownership is cheap...it comes with its higher prices...but then again smiles per miles are plentiful

I have say he was very happy during the ownership of the first 50k miles, with one problem with the clutch and BMW didn't cover it. It was the last year when he felt the need to get rid of it.

I drove the car many time, fun!

I just bought a '06 E46 M3 before Christmas and I love it. This car has the same engine as the M Coupe you're looking at so I can probably throw some info at you based on the extensive research I did before my purchase (you can still find my post here on Prime asking for advice).

- I don't know where the negative engine info is coming from in some of the posts but from what I've found gathered, M engines are far more reliable than regular Bimmers. The failures of the VANOS system are commonly mentioned in M forums but these tend to be isolated to earlier models and were fixed by BMW for free after some class action thing. As with all car forums in the world, you only hear of bad crap that happens but you never see posts where someone just says their VANOS is awesome or how they are amazed by the quality of the snap ring in the NSX. In reality, failures are very rare. The early M3s had an issue with the rear subframe tearing up, which was permanently fixed with the 03 model, this was also an issue that didn't affect a large number of cars. Some SMG trannies had occasional pump problems but I got a 6sp so I didn't worry.

The E46 M3 owners I've met and spoken to have not reported any problems, one of them has an 01 with 13K miles, the other is a 03 with 110K :) A lot of it depends on how the car was treated and maintained by the previous owner(s), just like the NSX. If you find a prime example like I did, a worry free ownership is almost guaranteed.

- Maintenance cost is not that bad. It's more than a "normal" car but this is also more of a car than a Camry or an Accord. Oil change is ~$200 every 15K miles but it's easy to do yourself so if you own a garage you shouldn't have a reason to pay for this. There are two inspections to be done appropriately named Inspection I and Inspection II. They are done once every two years and they alternate. They include all the fluids and stuff, but Inspection II also ads valve adjustments and couple of other things. My local dealer charges $1200 for I and $1800 for II. This is also all stuff that can be done at home, although you do need to invest in a couple of special tools, totaling about $200 or so on Amazon. You can also do the brakes on these cars pretty easily.

In the first two months, my M is ages more reliable than my Subaru Impreza was, although at 123K the Subie had more than twice the miles when I got it. The fun factor (on dry, paved roads) is unmatched though. The M only makes you smile. I drive mine every day, I don't have a light foot but I keep in line most of the time and I get a 21 mpg average. This is all mostly city since I avoid the highway on weekdays but I did get a good 30 on highway once. With a lighter M Coupe, you should get even better mpg.

If you are concerned, get an S2000 but there is no guarantee that it will be a better car since those things are more likely to have been "abused", as a friend of mine found out with constant problems on his. That car is now fine but it took lots of repairs to get there.

The only negative with my M is that it makes me worry too much. It's a beautiful car and I worry about it all the time when I go to the mall, theater, dinners... oh well, when I get around to the NSX, this will be even worse I imagine.

^maint isn't that expensive ? I checked on brakes for an 03 m3 that I was purchasing and the dealer quoted my 1200 for a simple brake job. I looked into a warranty for the same car and the cheapest I could get was 350 a month for just the power train ( not ac , electronics etc). My only point here is maintenance and repairs if they happen are expensive. Don't kid yourself

^maint isn't that expensive ? I checked on brakes for an 03 m3 that I was purchasing and the dealer quoted my 1200 for a simple brake job. I looked into a warranty for the same car and the cheapest I could get was 350 a month for just the power train ( not ac , electronics etc). My only point here is maintenance and repairs if they happen are expensive. Don't kid yourself

What high-performance car is cheap to repair when things go south? Even the NSX is expensive to maintain when it comes to wear items. Simple maintenance on the M3, things like inspections and oil, are fairly cheap considering that you will do them once every 12-15 months.

I firmly believe that if you don't know how to do simple maintenance, you shouldn't own a sports car. I can't imagine letting a dealer do something as simple as brakes. Valve job or major motor work yeah, but brakes are too simple to pay that much to do. These are high quality brakes so it's expected that parts will cost more, you can't get away with $22 Raysbestos here. As I said, you pay more for some things but you get more of a car as well. Your local Bimmer shop will probably do better work for much less $$$ than the dealer.

02-03 are pretty reasonably priced these days, I wouldn't worry about warranty, especially if you buy it cash. As with any high performance car, have something saved up on the side for "gremlins". If you never race it, don't worry about it.

Back