• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone running the new SOS TVS Supercharger?

Just curious what people’s thoughts are on it. It looks really well thought out. I already have a bunch of supporting mods like high flow headers, cats, exhaust and a clutch to hold it. Definitely thinking of going with the stage 2 with the bigger throttle body and intercooler. Wouldn’t mind playing with an E85 option as well.

I know it’s fairly new but was just curious if anyone has one installed yet?

My install and tune was completed last week. I pick it up tomorrow and will reserve any comment until I drive it. I’ll update this post some time next week.

Oh Cool! Did you send it to SOS or had it installed elsewhere? Interested to hear about what you think of it. What options did you go with?

I did not send it to SOS. I had it installed and tuned locally near Washington DC. Along with the supercharger, I also opted for the intercooler, AEM, larger throttle body and Sport 350 Clutch. Outside of the SOS kit, I have 97 headers, Downforce intake, Pride resonated test pipes and Pride V2 exhaust.

Nice I have a very similar setup so your results should be very helpful. That’s the Setup I’m looking to go if I go with a supercharger. Any issues with installing it, Or was it pretty much straight forward?

I don’t think it fits under the engine cover looking at the video of it. I’m assuming it’s using a replacement engine bay brace like what CT did on there kit for the targa years.

Last edited:
I'd be curious to know if anyone with a targa had to replace their targa engine-bay braces or remove their clamshells.

The factory targa engine cover and engine cover brace is not compatible with the ScienceofSpeed TVS Supercharger System.
A replacement brace is available.

The factory engine cover is not compatible.
Other engine covers may be used, including the ScienceofSpeed NSX-R Engine Cover.

The targa top may be placed in the trunk.

From https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/scienceofspeed-tvs-supercharger-nsx-1991-05.html

sadly the targa roof in the trunk is suboptimal...

So I picked up the car today. I didn’t get to drive it much and the trip home from the shop was mostly in stop and go traffic due to a huge accident on the DC Beltway. Here are my first impressions:

Initially I was kind of underwhelmed. The car didn’t feel that much different. However I did get to put my foot in it once and wasn’t that impressed until I looked at the speedometer and saw I was well into the triple digits! I was in 3rd gear and pulled from about 50mph. The power delivery is very linear and feels similar to stock but soo much faster! Consequently, I am initially very pleased!

The car is very loud with the Pride exhaust and resonated test pipes. It is not too bad when the rpms are low but it screams over 4K! Most of the noise is due to the exhaust and there is very little (almost none) sc whine.

The install was done by Jay Bozeman from Helix Autoworks. It was generally straightforward. It was tuned by Carl Hernandez from BlackBox Tuning. Both are located in Maryland and I was very pleased with their services! It was tuned on a Mainline dyno which is a loadbearing dyno. It made 363.4hp and 272ftlbs of torque. With a +18% correction for that type of dyno, that equates to 428hp and 320.96 ftlbs of torque.

It is pouring down rain now, so I will really get out to drive it later in the week.

More to come....

The factory targa engine cover and engine cover brace is not compatible with the ScienceofSpeed TVS Supercharger System.
A replacement brace is available.

The factory engine cover is not compatible.
Other engine covers may be used, including the ScienceofSpeed NSX-R Engine Cover.

The targa top may be placed in the trunk.

From https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index.php/nsx/scienceofspeed-tvs-supercharger-nsx-1991-05.html

Were you able to find a link to the "replacement brace" they mentioned? I scoured the website and couldn't find it.

I was curious if SOS is coming out with a targa cover to store the top over the engine/SC. I have a comptech cover for the t-top and it works quite well. Just wanted to see if SOS puts out something that is even better.

Is there a link on how the targa top can fit into the trunk. I tried to do this once and it just didn't appear to fit in that compartment. I didn't want to force it in. (this is starting to sound a bit naughty...) :)

SoS posted a dyno chart a little while ago on an 8.5psi car:

03bb976d174ecb453b4f9e23491fe9b5.jpg

It appears to hold the boost allll the way to redline which probably accounts for that super flat torque curve. The charts from my car and a couple others I’ve seen with older units tend to trail off after 5500-6000 rpm. Mine peaks (280ftlb) 9psi at 5800 then is ~7psi at redline.

Curious if others with the TVS sc are down to post charts. I’m curious if this chart is an anomaly or the norm

Last edited:
Thats impressive. I bet that makes for a quick car. I’m curious how my car is going to react with the short gears and The R final drive. I know with a turbo setup it’s not ideal. But this new SC seems to put power down very consistent.

I want to keep it drivable and fun. My procharged Corvette was just to much the thing was an animal to keep on the road. Fun in its own way. But it was hard to drive it fast because it was trying to kill you every time you drove it.

Judging by the fist impressions posted above it’s what I’m looking for. Stock like feel with more power. I don’t want to rune the balance of the car just add a lil more go to the show.

Last edited:
Thats impressive. I bet that makes for a quick car. I’m curious how my car is going to react with the short gears and The R final drive. I know with a turbo setup it’s not ideal. But this new SC seems to put power down very consistent.

I want to keep it drivable and fun. My procharged Corvette was just to much the thing was an animal to keep on the road. Fun in its own way. But it was hard to drive it fast because it was trying to kill you every time you drove it.

Judging by the fist impressions posted above it’s what I’m looking for. Stock like feel with more power. I don’t want to rune the balance of the car just add a lil more go to the show.
I had that the Type R 5spd with an Autorotor CTSC for a short while. It was ok. I probably wouldn't go out changing that before trying it. It's on the shorter geared end of acceptability IMO. Depends on your roads too. I think the perfect setup i've had for mixed driving with the Autorotor CTSC was the JDM 5spd with a OSGiken standard ratio LSD.

I've 'only' the 3rd gen CTSC with that gearing and think it's a perfect match. I wouldn't like the gears shorter and of course wouldn't like the longer as the CTSC loves some rpm too. I've not the impression that the car likes to 'kill' me every time I drive it fast and I drove it pretty fast in the past. :)

Take into account that the choosen tire size also effects the final drive. A 245/40/17 accelerates better (due to its smaller diameter) than a big 19'' wheel.

My fathers 97 has an autorotor setup with the 6speed so the ratios are similar to my JDM gears and final I have in my 5 speed. I’m curious how it will feel with a lil more power the TVS is putting out especially when I start playing with E85 tunes.

For me I enjoy mostly tight twisty mountain roads the ones the bikers frequent. I just don’t want to destroy the balance of the car like I did with my Vette. I think the TVS setup might be perfect for what I’m looking for.

Yeah I wasn’t planning on changing out the gear set. I found a local tuner that comes highly recommend he did my buddy’s R8 and Lamborghini and a few other cars in the area. I’m most likely going to install the supercharger myself and trailer it to them for a tune. I got some other parts I want to install and check before I add power. Like my new steering rack and harmonic balancer. Im waiting on my mirrors and B pillars to come back from getting wrapped to match my NSXR spoiler.

Last edited:
Yeah I wasn’t planning on changing out the gear set. I found a local tuner that comes highly recommend he did my buddy’s R8 and Lamborghini and a few other cars in the area. I’m most likely going to install the supercharger myself and trailer it to them for a tune. I got some other parts I want to install and check before I add power. Like my new steering rack and harmonic balancer. Im waiting on my mirrors and B pillars to come back from getting wrapped to match my NSXR spoiler.
Asides from the obvious engine maintenance items the major failure of boosted NSXs is the old paper OEM headgaskets on the 3.0L's and the heads lifting on the 3.2L's. If you have an early NSX with the old HG, you ought to change that first.

Good call got a recommendation on brand to get?

I’m looking at the multi layer steel one SOS sells and using the ARP head studs. While I’m at it.

Last edited:
Were you able to find a link to the "replacement brace" they mentioned? I scoured the website and couldn't find it.

how can I reach out and message you? It won’t let me DM you. Do I need more posts before I can or can you respond to me here?

sadly the targa roof in the trunk is suboptimal...

I have read in the past that the targa top will fit in the trunk. I've tried this once or twice but failed to find it to be true.

As for those in the SC market, what targa cover storage systems are available? I don't think SOS is offering one as yet, but I could be wrong.

Back