• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Anyone used these products from SoS and RM Racing?

Hi john,

I have the RM Intake with cold air option and I am very happy with it.

I noticed any gain in HP but in my own opinion the sound only is worth the price !
wink.gif

Regards,

David G. http://www.macs.ch/homepages/david/

I really liked the AIS + Stock OEM airbox + aftermarket filter before I had the supercharger.

Dyno tests have shown that the OEM box is one of the most efficient intakes out there (although the other two I sell and believe in were not included in these tests).

I'll give a free K&N drop-in filter ($70 new?) to the next customer that gets an AIS and requests the filter. It has about 1000 test miles on it, but looks new.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

http://www.NSXClassifieds.com - free NSX classifieds site!

I just installed the SoS/Cantrell Concepts Intake (thanks Chris) two weeks ago....The improvement in the sound alone was worth the investment. However I did notice the car picked up a little quicker. In addition it was EXTREAMLY easy install: < 20 min. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
I really liked the AIS + Stock OEM airbox + aftermarket filter before I had the supercharger.

Dyno tests have shown that the OEM box is one of the most efficient intakes out there (although the other two I sell and believe in were not included in these tests).

I'll give a free K&N drop-in filter ($70 new?) to the next customer that gets an AIS and requests the filter. It has about 1000 test miles on it, but looks new.

Regards,
-- Chris

I have the RM setup...

One thing to note about the RM kit, is that it requires lots of attention in keeping clean. Basically you are sucking dust, dirt, and grime in through that pipe and let me tell you, the filter gets dirty pretty quick.

Nothing a little time can't fix. You'll find this with most filters, just a word to the wise.

-B

thanks for the info.

i saw one pic of the RM intake on david's site. good pictures david. any other pics?

i have a K&N filter right now but i really like the look of the RM intake. I know that's kind of a silly reason to do mods like this but... i'm a silly guy.

BoneZ... how often do you clean your filter? once an oil change, every couple oil changes? it's not a big deal to clean, right?

Chris... you'll probably be hearing from me some time soon.

catch ya all later,
j

I like the Cantrell Concept idea as well just seems a little pricey. I have been trying to justify the price for the last two days. With the filter chris is throwing it it makes it a little better deal.

The car does not have an air intake problem with the stock setup. Aftermarket intakes are for sound only.

Nobody to date has dynoed any intake on the car showing a HP gain greater than the margin of error inherent in the dyno process.

K&N filters are SUPPOSED to run dirty. Read the instructions. Cleaning it too often is worse. The key is to keep them well oiled.

Originally posted by spartan2-3:
Can you get the same results by simply removing the air baffle intake?

Is it really necessary to add AIS?

You can get a good bit of the sound increase by blocking off the baffle on the stock intake. I doubt it will be as much as with the CC unit, which also acts sort of like a megaphone, but it should be somewhere between stock and the CC unit. You can experiment with it for free with just a little time if you are interested. I have not done this personally but I know some owners who have.

Originally posted by ub2slw:
I just installed the SoS/Cantrell Concepts Intake (thanks Chris) two weeks ago....The improvement in the sound alone was worth the investment. However I did notice the car picked up a little quicker. In addition it was EXTREAMLY easy install: < 20 min. WELL WORTH THE MONEY!

The only reason why it "appears" that it picked up quicker is because you got the carbon fiber version at a steal ..........
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I think our local chapter will soon hold the record for number of CC AIS ........

[This message has been edited by Hrant (edited 15 March 2002).]

Originally posted by Lud:
The car does not have an air intake problem with the stock setup. Aftermarket intakes are for sound only.

Nobody to date has dynoed any intake on the car showing a HP gain greater than the margin of error inherent in the dyno process.

As I've said before, the stock airbox is a very efficient intake. Honda did their homework, and it's dyno-proven. That's why the AIS does not modify the intake box. What it does modify is the ducting on the side of the NSX. It is *not* an air filter.

While the predominant benefit of the AIS is a more pronounced induction growl, 90% of the customers that install the kit (including myself) feel an slight increase in top-end power as well as increased throttle response. We have not been able to dyno the NSX with the AIS because it is impossible to effectively and cost effectively recreate the effect of 60mph high pressure airflow while on the dyno (trust me, I've been bugging people at Boeing about this). Due to this, we don't guarantee any sorts of power gains. What we ARE doing is showing the device to be an effective ram-air device by doing a static flow-bench test off the car, and on the car at speed. Hopefully this will prove to Lud and others that the placement of a device in the intake is indeed in the airstream along the car, and my taking advantage of this, the AIS is indeed a ram-air device.
tongue.gif

Edit: still learning how to use smiles...

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 15 March 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxxtreme:
I like the Cantrell Concept idea as well just seems a little pricey. I have been trying to justify the price for the last two days. With the filter chris is throwing it it makes it a little better deal.

I'm obviously the vendor for this product, so take my comments below with a grain of salt.

I honestly questioned the price before I saw the unit. However, when it arrived, and I understood how it worked, and how it was constructed, the price made a lot of sense real quick, and the price then seemed very reasonable.

The AIS is constructed from two individual molds that forms the left and right half, which are asymetrical. The AIS then fuses these two halves together, custom mounting hardware is attached, and the fused halves are finished.

All in all, the unit is very well engineered and the production quality is excellent, especially considering the low volume that these units sell in.

Just my opinion as a happy customer (yes, I bought one too).

As a refrence point, a similar unit sells in Japan for $500+.

Regards,
-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

K&N filters are SUPPOSED to run dirty. Read the instructions. Cleaning it too often is worse. The key is to keep them well oiled.

DITTO" Thats the second reliable source I've heard this from the first was Mark Basch...
As per RM racings advice "do not get the Cold Air Intake" add-on unless your gonna clean it weekly....

------------------

Chris - I did not say airbox, I said intake, of which this is part.

I have seen the AIS in person and I agree it is an extremely well designed and manufactured product.

It's just that until someone can show me reliable numbers or even the math to produce the numbers for a power increase, I do not buy the theory that it will have an appreciable impact on power.

The reason is that I simply do not buy the theory that it acts as a "ram air" device, being that it is behind the stock side intake which appears to me to be well recessed from the primary airflow around the car.

As soon as someone can demonstrate in what I consider a valid manner that changing any part of the air intake system will have an appreciable impact on power, not only will I be convinced, I will buy one.

I doubt there will be anyway to validate power increase. What we are working on is showing that the AIS works to deliver higher airflow to the induction box at speed.

Originally posted by Lud:
Chris - I did not say airbox, I said intake, of which this is part.

I have seen the AIS in person and I agree it is an extremely well designed and manufactured product.

It's just that until someone can show me reliable numbers or even the math to produce the numbers for a power increase, I do not buy the theory that it will have an appreciable impact on power.

The reason is that I simply do not buy the theory that it acts as a "ram air" device, being that it is behind the stock side intake which appears to me to be well recessed from the primary airflow around the car.

As soon as someone can demonstrate in what I consider a valid manner that changing any part of the air intake system will have an appreciable impact on power, not only will I be convinced, I will buy one.

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
I doubt there will be anyway to validate power increase. What we are working on is showing that the AIS works to deliver higher airflow to the induction box at speed.

I am not an engineer but basic engineering cocnepts should apply in here ....... why not test the AIS while it is on the street at different levels of speed and compare the same results with the OEM ........ surely all these softwares of HP at various RPMs etc. should offer such an answer ......... as to cost of such tests, that is a different story ........

Originally posted by Lud:As soon as someone can demonstrate in what I consider a valid manner that changing any part of the air intake system will have an appreciable impact on power, not only will I be convinced, I will buy one.

I'll second this.

[This message has been edited by nsxxtreme (edited 16 March 2002).]

Back