• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AOL/AIM hacker issues - anyway to track IP through AIM?

i know this sounds random, but just wondering if anyone knows how to be able to source or track the IP address of someone using an AIM account. i recently had my personal AIM/AOL email account hacked. the hacker changed the password and of course the security question. AOL's fraud department has been of absolutely NO HELP as they only want either the answer to the security question, OR for me to call from the original phone number i opened my AOL account with over 16 years ago (which i don't have). in the mean time, the hacker is still using my screen name and online.

is there anyway to capture his IP address by him sending me a response via AIM? or any suggestions? thought i'd throw it out there. thanks in advanced!

Sure. The easiest way would be to setup or rent a webserver that you control(aka, you can see the logs), put a pic on the server. Verify it works. Then craft a html email with the pic linked. When he views the email you have his IP. You'll want to note the time you got it since IPs are dynamic. The ISP should have a log of who had what IP at what date/time, but I'm not sure how long those logs are kept. You would need a court order for the ISP to turn that IP into a name and address for you.

Also if he's a real hacker his IP will only lead you to a public or hacked AP, and/or a proxy.

If you know the original phone number. There are ways to make your phone number appear to be any number you want to the person you are calling. Google it there are sites that do the first few calls for free. :smile:

If you know the original phone number. There are ways to make your phone number appear to be any number you want to the person you are calling. Google it there are sites that do the first few calls for free. :smile:

i wonder if this works from even LAN to LAN lines? :smile:

Back