• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apparently every Zune 30 in the world crashed today

Well son of a ....... I haven't used mine for about a month. I just got it out of my car, turned it on and what do you know? It's frozen. So much for going against the grain and not joining the iPod craze...... :mad:

As a long-time developer, I can only sit and wonder about the meetings going on in Redmond today. I sure would like to be a fly on the wall.

I can't even due a hard turn off by hold down the back and down buttons. It's not responding to anything. I can hear/feel it spinning inside. Do I just wait for the batter to die?

Looks like Microsoft responded and should be fixed shortly.

http://forums.zune.net/412486/ShowPost.aspx

Official response for Zune 30 Freezing Issue (Zune 30gb stuck at reboot screen)

Early this morning we were alerted by our customers that there was a widespread issue affecting our 2006 model Zune 30GB devices (a large number of which are still actively being used). The technical team jumped on the problem immediately and isolated the issue: a bug in the internal clock driver related to the way the device handles a leap year. The issue should be resolved over the next 24 hours as the time change moves to January 1, 2009. We expect the internal clock on the Zune 30GB devices will automatically reset tomorrow (noon, GMT). By tomorrow you should allow the battery to fully run out of power before the unit can restart successfully then simply ensure that your device is recharged, then turn it back on. If you’re a Zune Pass subscriber, you may need to sync your device with your PC to refresh the rights to the subscription content you have downloaded to your device.

There is a good reason why most people think the best MP3 player brand is:

Apple iPod!!!

Microsoft does certain things well.

Following Apple is not one of them.

Good thing MS software doesn't run mission critical applications... nyuk nyuk nyuk nyuk :biggrin:

From phones to servers to hospitals to military laptops in the field- it does everyday.

So true, and here's a shining example.. :biggrin:

I do use MS products and like it for the most part, but I do get frustrated, very frustrated, at times, with the applications... ;)

aircraft01.jpg

So true, and here's a shining example.. :biggrin:

I do use MS products and like it for the most part, but I do get frustrated, very frustrated, at times, with the applications... ;)

aircraft01.jpg

That picture is going to cause me to lose sleep.

That picture is going to cause me to lose sleep.

No need. They don't use the Windows desktop client for aerospace embedded systems.

It would be akin to using it as a vehicle EMS. Using a multi-tasking consumer client operating system in place of an embedded system for such an application doesn't make a lot of sense. That is taking it so far outside of its original design paradigm and what it was optimized for it is just stupid.

Boeing is right down the street. My last boss worked on many of the computerized flight systems for the Boeing 777. The circuit boards were tested to literally take a bullet puncture anywhere across its surface area; while being self-redundant enough to keep working without a hiccup. And they have two of each, often in separate sections of the airframe. Lines of code? About 2 million spead across hundreds of specific boxes from hundreds of vendors. Result, even with every last line scrutinized through the most rigirous check-in process you can imagine, they really can and do crash from time to time.

As to Windows, well just the HD DVD player has about 4.3 million lines of code. The bottom line in the consumer personal computing space- is that consumers ask for, but do not wish to pay for maximum reliability. As a result, robustness will always get incrementally better over time, not fundamentally. What customers do pay for in a consumer product is new features that are "good enough". No different than any consumer business that's really just the bottom line.

In the past- the traditional "blue screen of death" (as it has been caused since the OS/2 days) that consumers joke about was very mis-understood. Their is nothing else like it- Windows supports tens of thousands of different devices in more models, configurations, and languages than anyone can even count. The reality is that in the past 99% of these kernel system crashes were actually due to 3rd party device drivers and various hardware issues (i.e. not Microsoft code).

This has been greatly reduced in modern versions of the operating system due to a multi-pronged approach including:

- Less legacy hardware support
- Progressively better memory management
- Better logo program for IHV's and test processes to ensure compliance means better hardware with fewer incompatibilities
- Evolutionary faster hardware, allowing more to be run in user mode vs. kernel mode
- Wider device coverage with in-box class drivers.
- Evolutionarily better testing, diagnostic, reporting, and update processes
- Other super secret area 51 stuff I can't talk about

In short, Windows is faster, consumers see less system crashes, and it is more robust today than ever before. If anything, I would characterize a system crash occurrence as very rare today, and using it to define the platform is nothing more than a display of ones ignorance.

The issue was with an internal clock that was NOT produced by Microsoft.

The clock was not made for leap years and so it was not able to function when a day came that saw as "extra"

The problem was caused by Lars....Yes Lars the stubby little drummer for Metalica.

If he hadn't started the whole "Digital Rights Management" movement...
MP3 Players would not need clocks to know when your rent on "Enter sandman" runs out.

oh and I have an Ipod too...and it crashes just as often as my Zune, if not more.

I can tell you from experience that our FMS (Flight Management System) on our planes (made by Rockwell Collins) takes a dump every now and then. We have to wait until we get on the ground and completely power down the system and it will reset/reboot as good as new. :rolleyes:

Sucks as then we have to go back to the old VOR navigation like the old days and it usually happens someplace like the Korry3 Arival into LGA where there are a gazillion step down fixes with crossing restrictions. Lazy pilots.

fms.jpg

Last edited:
Back