• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple Airtag tracker threat?

Anyone else a little paranoid about someone sticking a tracking tag on their car without your knowing it? I was thinking about getting one so I could track the car if stolen but conversely local law enforcement warnings about thieves tagging high value cars and then intercepting them later with a flatbed (gone in 60 secs) has me somewhat concerned to leave the car in a public place or a a car meet.

local law enforcement warnings about thieves tagging high value cars and then intercepting them later with a flatbed (gone in 60 secs) has me somewhat concerned to leave the car in a public place or a a car meet.

You worry too much. Nobody's tracking your NSX so they can steal it later.

Insure the car and drive it. Park wherever you want. It'll be fine.

I never park my car where I can't keep an eye on it, and I live in a low crime area. Only takes one jealous, drunk, or deranged ahole walking by that decides to f--k with it.

I am thinking that the Airtag warning may be a little bit of an over exaggeration. The Airtag is a Bluetooth device. Bluetooth is shortrange communication. Once the Airtag is out of the Bluetooth range of the Airtag user's cell phone, the Airtag system depends on a 'Find My' network of Apple cell phones which are participating in a cloud data collection effort. In order for the thief to track your car they depend on an Apple device near your car detecting the Airtag and passing it up to the cloud where the thieves can retrieve it. The Bluetooth range is around 10 M so the Apple device would have to be pretty close to the car to find it.

I don't have an Apple device so I don't know whether 'Find My' is an opt in, opt out or one of those mandatory applications that you agree to when you 'click here to agree'. If you have an Apple device and carry it with you, you might unwittingly be providing tracking data to somebody.

I am thinking that the Airtag warning may be a little bit of an over exaggeration. The Airtag is a Bluetooth device. Bluetooth is shortrange communication. Once the Airtag is out of the Bluetooth range of the Airtag user's cell phone, the Airtag system depends on a 'Find My' network of Apple cell phones which are participating in a cloud data collection effort. In order for the thief to track your car they depend on an Apple device near your car detecting the Airtag and passing it up to the cloud where the thieves can retrieve it. The Bluetooth range is around 10 M so the Apple device would have to be pretty close to the car to find it.

I don't have an Apple device so I don't know whether 'Find My' is an opt in, opt out or one of those mandatory applications that you agree to when you 'click here to agree'. If you have an Apple device and carry it with you, you might unwittingly be providing tracking data to somebody.
No, airtags track just fine if theyre near ANY Apple device connected to any kind of network. Amazingly well! I borrowed one from my son and it provided a near perfect route back to my house driving on city streets. Likely it was sending its location thru MY Iphone. FindMy will alert you if theres a tag nearby but it only seems to do it once. Good news is theres an App that will locate nearby tags and guide you to them. So Ive got solution.

Keep your insurance up to date with agreed current value live life. If you’re that worried about it buy something else. Life it to short to worry about the what ifs. Hell I could get your address off your IP or Geolocation time stamps and social media posts know when and how to take it. Honda master key unlock and drive it away. Flipper zero your garage codes steal your credt cards turn you Heat off may even unlock your front door if you got a “smart house”.

If they want it, they will take it there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

No, airtags track just fine if theyre near ANY Apple device connected to any kind of network. Amazingly well! I borrowed one from my son and it provided a near perfect route back to my house driving on city streets. Likely it was sending its location thru MY Iphone. FindMy will alert you if theres a tag nearby but it only seems to do it once. Good news is theres an App that will locate nearby tags and guide you to them. So Ive got solution.

I agree about any Apple device with an IP connection; but, an iphone is more likely to be the enabling device in this case.

If there is an application that can detect an Airtag that represents a dent in Apple's claims about security unless they view security as just being restricted to discovering the identity of the Airtag owner.

Keep your insurance up to date with agreed current value live life. If you’re that worried about it buy something else. Life it to short to worry about the what ifs. Hell I could get your address off your IP or Geolocation time stamps and social media posts know when and how to take it. Honda master key unlock and drive it away. Flipper zero your garage codes steal your credt cards turn you Heat off may even unlock your front door if you got a “smart house”.

If they want it, they will take it there is nothing you can do to prevent it.
Yes, a determined pro probably cant be deterred, no reason to make it easier for them though. A long happy life includes
doing risk mitigation. Foolish to think otherwise. I got where I am by considering the cost, probability and consequence of risks and taking action to reduce them. Worked pretty good so far. So I have here too. I could never really replace this car for the agreed value policy anyway and Ive had too many people follow me home not to be a little paranoid. Thanks for your input.

I think the other route... leave an air tag in the center console or other place as a "poor man's LoJack".

I think the other route... leave an air tag in the center console or other place as a "poor man's LoJack".
The problem is that the Airtag only works when other iphones are in range to ping it.

DriversTherapy did a test with an Airtag and the car was basically lost when it moved into a low pop area.

The problem is that the Airtag only works when other iphones are in range to ping it.

DriversTherapy did a test with an Airtag and the car was basically lost when it moved into a low pop area.

All you need is one visitor nearby with an iOS device and then the AirTag location will register and populate your Find My data. It is basically an Apple mesh network. If your stolen car is in a thief's garage, then a jogger happens to go past the house on the sidewalk while using an iPhone, then the location is registered. It takes just a second for the Bluetooth signal to be detected. I have an AirTag hidden in all my cars.

Back