• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Apple delays white iPhone 4 AGAIN & crushes my hopes/dreams...

They won't ship until later this year. I've been eagerly awaiting the white one now since they introduced the iPhone 4 @ WWDC. This is seriously pissing me off. I'm at a point where its either buy a black one or wait it out for the next gen. I've held onto my first gen (yes, the edge version) for long enough. Equally difficult to swallow was Apple not allowing for an iOS4 update on the first gen iphones and now I have to deal with this.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/23/apple-delays-white-iphone-a-second-time-wont-ship-until/

White models of Apple's new iPhone® 4 have continued to be more challenging to manufacture than we originally expected, and as a result they will not be available until later this year. The availability of the more popular iPhone 4 black models is not affected.

/RANT

I hope you get what you are looking for; but I have to say, it is a phone, I really could not care what color it came in so long as it worked. Mine is black and looks fine to me.

I hope you get what you are looking for; but I have to say, it is a phone, I really could not care what color it came in so long as it worked. Mine is black and looks fine to me.

I really wanted the white one. I'll probably bite the bullet and pick up a black one now.

I really wanted the white one. I'll probably bite the bullet and pick up a black one now.

I wonder if they are maybe working on a design change for the white one? I don't understand why it would be any harder to make.

The problem is with the white paint on the inside of the glass case back. The contractor hasn't been able to consistently make it the exact same shade of white as the peripherals.

Or so I've been told.

I wonder if they are maybe working on a design change for the white one? I don't understand why it would be any harder to make.
I'd have to assume so as well. The only issue is if that is the case, how are they going to address it? Do you dare to piss of early adopters by offering a white iPhone 4 devoid of flaws? Offer rebates to people who want to purchase the revised white one which would cause Apple to eat into it's profits...

Needless to say it becomes a sticky situation.
The problem is with the white paint on the inside of the glass case back. The contractor hasn't been able to consistently make it the exact same shade of white as the peripherals.

Or so I've been told.

Bingo! Foxcon is having issues with this. Either the paint on the glass is too opaque or it's too thick and they are having issues with the thickness of the layers of paint.

Last edited:
no need to postpone the 'ossomness that is iP4...

Why not just get a black iPhone 4 16GB or 32GB for $199/$299 (respectively), assuming through eligible AT&T upgrade for time being. Once the white iPhone 4 16GB or 32GB rolls out, sell the in'hand black iPhone 4 for at least $750 - $1,250 (perhaps even get it unlocked/"jail-broken" as those are the ones going for well above ~$1k) via Craigslist, eBay, forums/whatever. The ineligible upgrade white iPhone 4 for existing AT&T customer will be $499/$599 (16GB/32GB respectively) I'd assume.

Unlocking/"jail-breaking" pretty much assures a premium & guarantees a sale. Even your existing original 1st gen' iPhone is good for ~$100.

The demand for an ala'carte iPhone 4 won't go down for a long time, even the iPhone 3GS 16GB is garnering ~$300+ easily in the after-market. . .

Re: no need to postpone the 'ossomness that is iP4...

Why not just get a black iPhone 4 16GB or 32GB for $199/$299 (respectively), assuming through eligible AT&T upgrade for time being. Once the white iPhone 4 16GB or 32GB rolls out, sell the in'hand black iPhone 4 for at least $750 - $1,250 (perhaps even get it unlocked/"jail-broken" as those are the ones going for well above ~$1k) via Craigslist, eBay, forums/whatever. The ineligible upgrade white iPhone 4 for existing AT&T customer will be $499/$599 (16GB/32GB respectively) I'd assume.

Unlocking/"jail-breaking" pretty much assures a premium & guarantees a sale. Even your existing original 1st gen' iPhone is good for ~$100.

The demand for an ala'carte iPhone 4 won't go down for a long time, even the iPhone 3GS 16GB is garnering ~$300+ easily in the after-market. . .

I thought of this method, but with Apple consistently increasing their reach to more and more countries, that demand for ala'carte iphones is not garuanteed to bring me in $500 to cover the cost of an ineligible upgrade.

Its a crappy situation to be in but oh well...I'm seriously thinking about heading over to AT&T to order one in black.

iCraziness in the after-market...

I thought of this method, but with Apple consistently increasing their reach to more and more countries, that demand for ala'carte iphones is not garuanteed to bring me in $500 to cover the cost of an ineligible upgrade...
Very good point, as I've been admittedly keeping an eye on iPhone 4 "price gouging" in the after-market. I've been very curious to see if/when prices would level off. Even w/ current demand being met, the prices are still obscene - especially for the proverbial bells-&-whistles version, namely brand-new/unused unlocked iPhone 4 32GB. Crazy...

Either way, if you're nor pressed w/ losing a c-note at most, get the black iPhone 4 & sell your 1st gen' iPhone. Then later get the non-contract white iPhone 4 while easily selling your black iPhone 4 for presumably at least 2x what you got it for. I still think you'll have a positive wind-fall from all that. The question is whether you wanna deal w/ all that. If I didn't already own one (iPhone 4), I would be like it ain't worth all that. But, it's a remarkable handset & you going from 1st gen' handset / Edge / OS3 to 4th gen' handset / 3G / OS4, you'll be in awe. . .

all the girls I know are bummed out too...:tongue:

dude, seriously the white one is for girls...everyone knows that.....:redface:

At least you AT&T guys have an option. I'm a Verizon guy who's been waiting since 2007 for an iPhone :mad:

Very good point, as I've been admittedly keeping an eye on iPhone 4 "price gouging" in the after-market. I've been very curious to see if/when prices would level off. Even w/ current demand being met, the prices are still obscene - especially for the proverbial bells-&-whistles version, namely brand-new/unused unlocked iPhone 4 32GB. Crazy...

Either way, if you're nor pressed w/ losing a c-note at most, get the black iPhone 4 & sell your 1st gen' iPhone. Then later get the non-contract white iPhone 4 while easily selling your black iPhone 4 for presumably at least 2x what you got it for. I still think you'll have a positive wind-fall from all that. The question is whether you wanna deal w/ all that. If I didn't already own one (iPhone 4), I would be like it ain't worth all that. But, it's a remarkable handset & you going from 1st gen' handset / Edge / OS3 to 4th gen' handset / 3G / OS4, you'll be in awe. . .
You read my mind. Like yourself, I would probably not want to go through the hastle at that point. It is a great phone, which is why I've waited for an iteration that I felt had all the features I wanted...

Knowing my luck, I'll pick up a black iphone 4 and a month later Apple will announce the white iphone 4's availability.
all the girls I know are bummed out too...:tongue:

dude, seriously the white one is for girls...everyone knows that.....:redface:
LOLOLOL...white iphone 4 = cute new puppy @ the dog park

It will pull in chicks because they love it.

LOLOLOL...white iphone 4 = cute new puppy @ the dog park

It will pull in chicks because they love it.

You better have more game than just a white iPhone. :biggrin::tongue:
It won't pull chicks. A BlackBerry Curve, however will. I was suprised to learn this week that BlackBerry Curve's are bought primarily by women. Interesting.

You better have more game than just a white iPhone. :biggrin::tongue:
It won't pull chicks. A BlackBerry Curve, however will. I was suprised to learn this week that BlackBerry Curve's are bought primarily by women. Interesting.
I have a gf...and my game is much stronger than whatever a white iphone 4 could do, it was meant as a joke.

Chicks do love to BBM since its free.

I have a gf...and my game is much stronger than whatever a white iphone 4 could do, it was meant as a joke.

I know it was a joke. I was just joking back. :biggrin:
But you know, a white iPhone 4 really would be "Pure Sex". :biggrin:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg&hl=en_US&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FL7yD-0pqZg&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

:biggrin:
But you know, a white iPhone 4 really would be "Pure Sex". :biggrin:
BUAHAHAHAHHAA...white ip4 does = pure sex.
Repost. Try not to clutter my thread with trivial vids...kthnxbye.
get a black one and put a white case on it.
white phone = ugly phone anyway :p
Not in this case.
My white x10 looks far better than the white iphone. So I'll be ordering the black iphone... I've had too many white phones in my time.
I've had a black case for my first gen iphone, i really wanted to step away from black this time but its following me!

My M3 was white and it looked much better than a black one.

Update: Sparrow's girlfriend rocks!

So after the crushing news yesterday, my GF went and pre-ordered a black iphone 4 yesterday as a surprise for me. :eek:

How do I know it was a surprise? After picking up some dry cleaning just now, I decided to stop by the AT&T store by my house. I had called the GF to tell her I wasn't going to wait any longer and I was just going to order a black one when she let the cat out of the bag. I ended up having to cancel the order I started with the AT&T rep and left the store with a big dumb grin on my face and a new found appreciation for my GF. :biggrin:

In conclusion, my gf is the best. :cool:

I've had a black case for my first gen iphone, i really wanted to step away from black this time but its following me!

My M3 was white and it looked much better than a black one.

No argument there. White looks amazing in anything. I just have too many white handsets, gadgets, and game consoles.

haha well colorware charges 250 and I don't think that includes the front.

I think engadget did their own conversion by buying the parts off ebay. the only thing they couldn't change to white was the home button.

Re: Update: Sparrow's girlfriend rocks!

So after the crushing news yesterday, my GF went and pre-ordered a black iphone 4 yesterday as a surprise for me. :eek:

In conclusion, my gf is the best. :cool:

Make sure you keep telling her she is the best. Wives/Girlfriends/SO's appreciate hearing it.

You'll be happy with the black ip4. Once you start looking at pics and video on that beautiful screen, the color of the device won't really matter anymore.

Back