• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are my amplifiers bad?

I'm trying to figure out how to troubleshoot an issue with the OEM stereo in my '93 NSX. The stereo sounds fine unless you touch the volume control. If you try and adjust the volume (and even the lightest touch makes it happen) there's very loud popping/static from all the speakers.

Once you let go the popping stops. Then the stereo sounds OK again. Balance/treble/base adjustments work fine. I'm playing music via the tape deck and an ipod-tape-adapter.

I assumed the amplifiers were bad but it seems that maybe it's more likely that the head unit/volume control itself might be bad.

What could I do to troubleshoot the problem and figure out what's actually wrong?

glad that worked.i know now that some volume knobs are self-cleaning. i had that same loud noise when i got my car,i think the previous owner never used the radio,or never changed the volume,so that knob never got turned.

i didn't know this method at that time,so i had it taken out and sent to a shop to fix it.they fixed it about 90%,this method did the rest.i hope there was something else they fixed,and i didn't spend $300. just because i didn't know about turning the knob a lot!

I'm having the same phenomenon when touching my volume control, I will try that trick.

thanks

Back