• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are these prices reasonable for service?

Hey guys, please enjoy the boring post.

I'd like to get your input on a quote from a dealership. I took the garage queen into the dealership to have the timing belt and tires replaced and to do a big inspection of the entire car. In return I received a beautiful 4-color report of all the stuff needed to keep it in tip-top shape. And what a list it was.

Now my spidy sense went off the moment I read that I needed new windshield wipers. The thing is, the ones I have are only 3 months old and never used. Then I see the oil change priced at $100 and fuel filter & spark plug service for $300 each. Now I'm secnd guessing almost everything. So I'd like to leave the following service items and prices to my fellow owners to see if these prices are actually fair or whether I'm going to lose the need for a wallet.

Valve cover gasket & spark plug seals - $477
Lower timing belt cover - $547
Cam end plugs and valve adjustment - $718
Reseal v-tech valves - $709
Replace pan gasket - $965
Replace clutch master sylinder - $648
Replace CV boots - $1,235

Anyway, I don't mind paying if the price is fair but I get the feeling something isn't right. What sucks is that service wise, they are very friendly and helpful but that doesn't mean much if I'm getting gouged.

Thanks for the help guys.

That is wayyyyy too expensive for most of the services. Even if it includes parts. Check if there are any independent shops in your area.

Just a few parts. And these are retail prices.

CV boot set is $34.
Valve cover gaskets $52/pair
Spark plug seals $24/set
Lower timing belt cover $265
Cam seals $36
Oil Pan Gasket $36

So, for example, on the replacement of the oil pan gasket, they are looking at over $900 in labor. Even at $100/hour labor rate, that's nine hours to pull a few subframe components and replace the oil pan. Of course there is the oil and all. :rolleyes:

Ask the service tech what their standard labor rate is for master techs. Then go somewhere else.

When I bought my NSX, I had the timing belt/water pump done by Honcura in Dallas before I picked up the car. It was recommended by the previous owner. They were very reasonable, if a bit hard to understand. (But I'm not good with accents.) They also did the PPI. I guess they did good work because the car is just fine three years later and not a drop of oil on the garage floor.

Just for curiosity, why the timing belt cover? Does this include a new water pump and timing belt?

bottom line, prices are ridiculoius.......

JMO

Regards,
LarryB

Long story short, a new guy quoted me the wrong price of $1085 for the TB service. It sounded fair so I brought the car in and was told $1900. They were great and honored the quoted price, which I appreciated. But now I can't help but feel like the other prices are greatly inflated to make up for it.

The tech is top notch but he doesn't mess with the numbers. I will admit I'm not up-to-date on pricing but man it just doesn't seem right. It's a little too late on some of the items because they mentioned that "the car is in pieces" but I'm holding off on whatever I can. I have a great mechanic for the other regular cars and he said that the other items were fairly routine. He's comfortable with all of it except adjusting the valves which I probably don't need to do anyway.

Thanks for the help guys - I'm always blown away how great this community is.

- - - Updated - - -

Just for curiosity, why the timing belt cover? Does this include a new water pump and timing belt?

JMO

Regards,
LarryB

Sorry Larry - I was replying and got off track about your question. The TB service includes the water pump and TB but not the lower TB cover which is an extra $500. The TB was replaced about 12 years ago (about 2,000 miles ago...yes, you read that right), but the dealer said the lower timing belt cover was "the old style" and was required to be updated to fit the new timing belt. I don't get it but I'm not as mechanically savvy as most on here.

Sorry Larry - I was replying and got off track about your question. The TB service includes the water pump and TB but not the lower TB cover which is an extra $500. The TB was replaced about 12 years ago (about 2,000 miles ago...yes, you read that right), but the dealer said the lower timing belt cover was "the old style" and was required to be updated to fit the new timing belt. I don't get it but I'm not as mechanically savvy as most on here.

That is absolute nonsense. The water pump with the cover is a few hundred dollars CHEAPER, then just the waterpump itself. Acura made a kit for that: 19200-PR7-305 The LIST price for the kit which includes the water pump AND cover is: $353.50

Last edited:
Hey guys, please enjoy the boring post.

I'd like to get your input on a quote from a dealership. I took the garage queen into the dealership to have the timing belt and tires replaced and to do a big inspection of the entire car. In return I received a beautiful 4-color report of all the stuff needed to keep it in tip-top shape. And what a list it was.

Now my spidy sense went off the moment I read that I needed new windshield wipers. The thing is, the ones I have are only 3 months old and never used. Then I see the oil change priced at $100 and fuel filter & spark plug service for $300 each. Now I'm secnd guessing almost everything. So I'd like to leave the following service items and prices to my fellow owners to see if these prices are actually fair or whether I'm going to lose the need for a wallet.

Valve cover gasket & spark plug seals - $477
Lower timing belt cover - $547
Cam end plugs and valve adjustment - $718
Reseal v-tech valves - $709
Replace pan gasket - $965
Replace clutch master sylinder - $648
Replace CV boots - $1,235

Anyway, I don't mind paying if the price is fair but I get the feeling something isn't right. What sucks is that service wise, they are very friendly and helpful but that doesn't mean much if I'm getting gouged.

Thanks for the help guys.

JMO

Regards,
LarryB

For the amount of money that you've been quoted................I'd tell them to shove it! If you were willing to pay that amount, ship the car to Larry B, it'll cost you probably less with the shipping for him to do the work, and you know it'll be done right!!!

This is always a dilemma.
My preference is to use the NSX tech at the dealership as he's done all the major work on my NSX for 18 years.
The downside is the $140 per hour labor charge and the dealership parts prices.

What I worked out with the service manager was the 15% labor discount many dealers offer to NSXCA members.
Second being in Canada our Honda parts prices are much higher than yours so I bring most parts in from a US dealer and supply them to my local dealer.
While they prefer to supply their own parts, they know they aren't competitive so have let me do this.
Smaller jobs like changing a fuel filter, valve cover gaskets, etc. I do myself to save money.

In your case have you discussed the charges your service manager?
Not the tech at the service desk but the manager.

Secondly have you gotten a parts price quote from any of the online Acura parts dealerships, like OEM Acura Parts, and with the service manager compared it to the parts price he is charging?

My experience is if you can get to the service manager, show him the list of dealerships in the NSXCA Driver's Magazine that offer a labor discount, and show him a comparison of his parts prices compared to, say Finlay Acura, he will likely cooperate.
It's worth your time to do this as once you establish the precedent all future work will get a parts and labor discount.

Back