• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Are we materialistic?

I was talking to a "friend" and telling him how I am planning on buying an NSX this new year and he replied that people who buy very expensive cars are materialistic. Well, what do you think? My opinion is that anytime you buy an expensive object that is not needed unless it is because of a hobby, is being materialistic. So, since I love cars as a hobby I don't consider it materialistic. Gosh, I haven't even bought the damn car and I already have people thinking bad about me!

Steve http://www.mp3.com/fuzzygreen

it is a value judgement. materialism is a relative term. i agree with your notion that if you truly enjoy something, such as cars, for the purpose they were intended (e.g. drive them like the devil because you appreciate the technology and performance), then you are not being materialistic. however, from the perspective of someone who is not interested in cars, it may appear materialistic TO THEM.

that said, whether you are materialistic or not...well, who gives a shit. i enjoy being a consumer, and i will buy things because i just damn feel like it. for example, if i see a watch i like, i'll buy it, even though i have two bell and ross automatics...so who cares? if you have money to spend, and consider yourself a half-way rational consumer, then buy whatever you want, and forget about whether you are being "materialistic" or not.

some of us are more vain than others. does looking into the mirror in the morning to make sure your hair isn't frizzy or standing up mean your are vain? how about dying your hair to cover up the grey? vain and narsissistic? maybe...but WHO CARES. life if meant to be enjoyed. if you masturbate 10 times a day or have sex with 5 different people in a day, does that make you a glutton or whore? maybe...but did you enjoy yourself while not at the expense of others? if so, then congratu-fucka-lations.

Since materialism is a contrast to idealism, it could be argued that an NSX is more a reflection of our spiritual and intellectual side than of our wealth. That can't be said of many exotic automobiles. Tell your friend if you wanted to be materialistic you would lust for a Ferrari.

Ever listen to a Ferrari 8 or 12 cylinder? Are you a cult fan of the Ferrari racing teams? For some of us having a Ferrari would be a "spiritual" experience to be savored every time it was taken out of the garage. Don't think that just because the car is mucho dinero that for some of us it is a "poseur car" first and a "drivers car" second. Quite the opposite is true for many a Ferrari owner - just ask Doug Hayashi (of the NSX Files fame) what he thinks about his F355. His site compares driving the Ferrari to a drug addiction. I think a better "materialistic" car would be a chauffeur driven Rolls Royce or Bentley.

Now if I could only convince my boss that an F355 is "neccessary for my well being" and give me that bonus I requested......
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by SoloRacer (edited 05 December 2000).]

SoloRacer: Maybe a Bentley would be a better example. Regarding Ferraris, in my travels I very rarely see examples on the street. I see ads for 15 year old Ferraris with very low miles. Are many destined to become garage queens because they were purchased for materialistic reasons (eye candy and bragging rights)?

P.S. I would love to own and drive one.

My opinion only: If you buy it to be viewed in some particular way by others, you are materialistic. If you buy it for your own pleasure and enjoyment, you are not.

In my humble opinion, the word "Materialistic" is a word people use to justify their lack of whatever they happen to be talking about.
"I wouldnt buy one of those cars, thats materialistic"
"I wouldnt get one even if I could, because thats materialistic"
Thats BULLSH*T, fact of the matter is, everyone has a dream car(or dream whatever)whether its a 5000 dollar Civic or a 500,000 dollar F-50. They may not buy that exact car but that is preference, not materialism. Everyone has a dream. WANTING a dream and pursuing a dream, is not materialistic in any way shape or form.
Neither is obtaining that dream.

So tell those people who think you are materialistic to CAN IT and let me do as they please...

Simply put...... if it can be purchased, then it is 'material'. Therefore, it is materialistic... However, materialism can be for self gratification(us)
smile.gif
or to please or impress others...,,, so there is nothing wrong with being materialistic. I am very materialistic!!! It pleases ME to enjoy nice things... I have no problem with that. So....... let's read through all the bull and say the truth..... OF COURSE, WE ARE ALL MATERIALISTIC!!!!!!! If any of you say you are not, you'd be lying. We bought an expensive, beautiful, appealing car that we didn't NEED! As many of us bought it for our own enjoyment, we all know that it feels a little good when you get complimented on it or it attracts some stranger's attention.... Let's stop faking like we're not materialistic.... it's a fortunate thing.

------------------
nsx_02.jpg

Todd Arnold
http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

"materialistic"... geez, haven't heard that word since it was in vogue in the eighties. Will someone be saying "yuppie" next?

If we are fortunate enough to be able to enjoy rides of this caliber and have all the fun/looks/etc. they entail then that's just great for us. No need to get more philosophical than that.

Gotta go now, time to flip my Duran-Duran LP...

Back