• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Assistance needed - SRS light not self checking

Hi Prime,

I haven't done a formal introduction yet with the purchase of my second NSX as I was waiting to wrap up some work but I'm stuck and need some help from the community to get this done! :) After selling my 91 in 2016, I've regretted it ever since and have been on the lookout for the right car. I came across Carthan's build that was formerly Scorps 95' and while I was only looking for clean titled NSX's, after talking to Carthan and seeing the incredible work he did saving it, I felt like it was the right one for me.

Fast forward to today... In the State of Georgia I found out that cars with rebuilt titles must be inspected prior to being registered. No problem there until I was told if the car came with an airbag it must be installed and self checking. My car currently has a Momo Type R steering wheel with no airbag so fortunately when I bought the car it came with and S2000 AP1 steering wheel. Not so fortunately, the SRS computer was not with the car anymore and would have needed to be reset anyway to work again.

At any rate, I was introduced to an awesome guy in NC who was kind enough to send me a computer from an 04 that had been totaled from fire damage. After taking my car apart and hooking it up to see if it would self check, I'm not seeing the light come on when I turn on the car. I did not hook up the airbags/seatbelts because I just wanted to see the light come on and stay on but nothing is happening.

The part # for an SRS module is different from a 95' to an 04'. For those of you experienced with this. Do I need to be using only a 95 or should the 04 work? I checked the harness and there are no resistors that I can find preventing it from coming on. If anyone can help me sort this out, I'd be forever grateful!

Thanks so much!
- Jonathan

** pic for attention

IMG_2536.jpg

First thing I would suggest is to check the pin out diagrams and the pin functions in the service manuals to see if they match up. If they don't, you have a major problem. Different pin assignments could explain the no SRS light on start up.

The later model NSXs have pre tensioners controlled by the SRS system. I don't know whether those came with the passenger air bag installation (1993) or came after 1995. If your 1995 does not have pre tensioners that is going to present a major problem for the 04 SRS unit.

Finally, on the donor car where was the fire damage? If it was anywhere close to the SRS module that could terminate it pretty quickly. Electronic components don't play nicely with high heat.

Good luck with it.

Back