• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Audi R8

V10, or go home...

Has anyone driven or ridden in the R8....... comments or impressions ?? I'm seriously lusting after one :(
Looking at your user-profile, your '91 NSX 5spd. w/ I/H/E & weight-reduction, and stock-wheels w/ max' performance summer-tires will be as quick if not quicker than a stock R8.

If you want modern automotive art packaged into a well-built, high-tech', refined/comfortable exotic sports-car, pursue an R8.

If you want all that, and some semblance of high-performance that befits a modern-day mid-engine exotic sports-car in ~2010, then the V10 R8 is the only way to go. The V8 R8 is quite underwhelming (IMVHO).

I haven no experience w/ the V10 R8, but I can imagine that it's the one to get for performance which this platform begs for. . .

(also... don't let the base-price arouse you, the MSRP jumps dramatically in typical premium German-car fashion when equipped; anticipate about 20% - 25% on top of the base price when spec'ing! :eek:)

Last edited:
I disagree with Osiris_x11 about the V8 R8 being underwhelming. I drove one, and was quite whelmed.

It's a fun car to drive, and great to look at. A little too expensive, however.

I think the novelty of owning one would wear off in a short time after ownership. The nsx design is by far the better of the two and more timeless.

I disagree with Osiris_x11 about the V8 R8 being underwhelming. I drove one, and was quite whelmed.

It does the same 1/4 mile as a NSX doesn't it?
That's pretty good, but you would think a brand new 2009 supercar would be faster than a 1997 supercar.

Last edited:
If they would have stuffed the engine from my RS6 into the R8, I'd be all over one.

It does the same 1/4 mile as a NSX doesn't it?
That's pretty good, but you would think a brand new 2009 supercar would be faster than a 1997 supercar.

Not really. most NSX trap around 103-106. The R8 is more like 112... but I too with it had more power. I haven't had the chance to drive one though.

Honestly, the car is stunning and has about the same straight line power as the C6, so I don't think it will get too old too fast. And there are always superchargers. :)

Not really. most NSX trap around 103-106. The R8 is more like 112... but I too with it had more power. I haven't had the chance to drive one though.

Honestly, the car is stunning and has about the same straight line power as the C6, so I don't think it will get too old too fast. And there are always superchargers. :)
Hey man, wassup! :D

Your well-optioned C6 Corvette & my neighbor's C5 Z06 are noticeably quicker than the R8 (V8) that I've spent time w/. Again, just my personal experience/perception. . .

NetViper said:
And there are always superchargers. :)
was just going to say that...
Makes total sense, as I'm very much drawn towards the Aston Martin V8 Vantage & the early examples weren't as powerful/robust as the latter/current offerings. But, there are reputable/high-quality after-market S.C. kits for the A.M. V8 Vantage at attractive price-points (on par w/ what a high-boost CTSC w/ fuel/oil system & ECU-EMS upgrades would cost on an NSX).

swerve said:
in all reality the r8 may be the only car on the market that nsx owners might appreciate for all-around driving.
2x! Generally speaking, it seems to be all-around the closest to a modern-day equivalent of an NSX relative to any other current offerings, in terms of overall package.

Last edited:
Hey man, wassup! :D

2x! Generally speaking, it seems to be all-around the closest to a modern-day equivalent of an NSX relative to any other current offerings, in terms of overall package.

Hey bro! Haven't seen you posting much!

I agree with your statement also. The only thing I wish the R8 had that the NSX does is a trunk that can fit golf clubs. :biggrin:

R8 is a date car with the gal pal. NSX is a car to take your buddy golfing with....

I drove one today and have to say was very impressed.

This car looks great in white.

It would be an excellent GT car.

I drove a V8 R8 during a WCD Xtreme200 event. Absolutely wonderful car. Way different than my NSX. It feels faster, and is far more tail-happy than the NSX, which I found really surprising given that it is AWD.

If I had the money, and didn't have an NSX, I would seriously consider buying one. My only concern is long-term reliability.

I drove the V8 and V10 R8's a few times now....my discussion is over here:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130335

What you want to know besides the fact that it's an awesome car? More than double the price of my NSX so I told my girl no way I want a car payment at this point so I'm happy with the NSX with no payment :)

Well, I can sort of add my two cents.

I finally got a ride in a R8 R-Tronic.

It rides amazing. So smooth. Very quiet. The quality is outstanding. I loved everything about the car... except... the power. The engine sounded fantastic, but I was really expecting more pull. I know it is a fast car, but it really didn't feel as fast as the vette.

If I get one, it will have to be the V10. :)

I think right now I am more leaning towards a 2008 911 Turbo. That thing is FAST.

Looks cute from some angles but a low boost 1210 KG NSX walks all over the V8 version.

I drove another one yesterday with the Stasis exhaust. OMG. I don't get super excited about cars much but this thing was awesome!

Holy nine year bump batman!!!

Been looking into these lately as you can find a nice example 08-12 for @ 65K these days..... some are in the $50k's

Always thought they had a cool look.... and the newest ones still share the basic design which makes the older ones still look modern

Holy nine year bump batman!!!

Been looking into these lately as you can find a nice example 08-12 for @ 65K these days..... some are in the $50k's

Always thought they had a cool look.... and the newest ones still share the basic design which makes the older ones still look modern

Make sure to get a 2012 and up manual 6 speed car as there are a few early cars that have frame cracks. The R8 are wonderful and a true spiritual successor of our Gen 1 NSX. I got tired of waiting for the Gen 2 NSX and I have been driving a 2012 V10 manual 6 speed. I am so happy that I did not get the Gen 2 NSX as I will not be happy with that ugly silver trimmed interior.
Steve

Back