• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

AUSTIN: Any info on dealer listed '92 NSX at 620 & 2222? JH4NA1153NT000565

There is a red '92 NSX for sale at Terry Davison on 620 and 2222, #JH4NA1153NT000565. The dealer is selling it for a private seller, a doctor who doesn't really need to sell it. He's asking $30k for it, which seems rather high. The doctor is the second owner and has owned it since '92.

It's been there for a while. It has ~ 40.5k miles on it. Interior looks pretty good considering it's been sitting outside at the dealership for several months. There is some slight cracking on the leather seats, but it's not bad and the leather is still soft.

I checked some basic things on it like the A/C (doesn't cool enough), the headlights (they work), the spare (has it), oil leaks (it looks like it does on the passenger side), the struts (all looked good) and other basic details. I've never really looked closely at an NSX before, so I'm not sure some of the common issues to look for.

I started the car, but the owner won't let anyone test drive it unless they're dead set on buying it. The battery was dead, so they had to do a quick charge on it. Once I started it, the engine seemed to run a bit rough, but that might be because it has been sitting for so long.

It has a clean title, but the dealer told me that a deer ran into the rear passenger panel. He didn't hit the deer, it hit him. It doesn't show up in the carfax report according to the dealer. I looked around that panel, and it fits good, so maybe it was just a minor hit. All the body panels line up well. The color looked consistent on all body panels.

I asked the dealer if the owner has dealt with the snap ring, but he didn't know. I didn't think to look for the transmission number. The dealer will call the owner on Monday and ask him some questions I left for him. I may be getting a call from the owner on Monday.

Has any local NSX guru checked this one out already? Are red flags already going off in your head while reading this?

You can see the dealer listing here.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0513.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0515.jpg
    IMG_0515.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0516.jpg
    IMG_0516.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
look into maint'/service history AND collision. . .

Aside from model-year (age) & mileage (usage), look into the maint' & service history.

Meaning the 4yr/60k-mile & 6yr/90k-mile services should've been performed (total for both is ~$2.5k if performed by dealer).

Check the "search" & NSX Prime wiki for more information on what else to look for (ie. climate-control blower fan speed, snap-ring range, window-regulator "fix'it thingies", Bose speaker & sub amp; regular wear-&-tear: clutch, tires, brake discs/pads, CV-boots, fluids/filters, fuses/relays, TCS & ABS lights, etc'). . .

Once you've got all the information & service/maint' records, along w/ repair-history from the "deer incident", and you're still interested/keen towards this NSX: get someone w/ some NSX experience to look at it.

... meaning a pre-purchase inspection [P.P.I.] (money well spent!) from:

David Chavez (Acura/NSX master tech. & automotive repair/service instructor)
pwrboat
[email protected]
512-971-6363

-or-

David McDavid Acura {the service-center can offer info' on general condition & maint'/service & the separate collision center facility (ask for Chad) can offer info' on any repairs or damages}

The owner/seller & consignment/dealer will likely take you seriously, in terms of a test-drive, if you have financing approval letter / documented loan monies / cash or bank statement / etc'.

Also, stop by one of the "Cars & Coffee: Austin" events on the last Sunday of every month in Leander (11am-2pm), there's a handful of NSX'es there (always an example from '91-'94, '95-'96, '97-'01, '99 Zanardi edition, and occasionally '02-'05).

To-the-point: $30k for a bone-stock '92 NSX 5spd. coupe w/ ~40.5k miles w/ no accident/repaint history, full maint'/service records, usual age-related wear-&-tear... is a fair price, IMVHO! Avg' mileage for a '92 NSX would be 90k-95k miles (5k miles/year).

~ you get what you pay for ~

Last edited:
I looked at it. Its been there since last summer. For another 5k you can get a NA2. They didn't seem to be the friendliest guys to me, maybe it was because i was in my accord wagon.:smile:

Thanks for the replies and helpful information!

I've gone to the last two Cars and Coffee meets. Ko-nsx let me check out his car at the first one, and I only saw 3 NSXs at the last one. I'll almost certainly be at this month's meet too.

Got a call back from the dealer. The car was bought in Denver in '92. It was originally purchased by a woman, who returned it because she said she couldn't handle the power.

It has been serviced at David McDavid Acura, but the owner doesn't have the service records on him. The dealership won't give me the records obviously, so I'm not sure why the owner didn't pull them so I could check it out. That's one of the things I requested at the dealer.

The owner doesn't even know what I mean by "snap-ring", so I'm not sure if it's been taken care of.

I think I'm going to pass on it.

Last edited:
I found an entry in the FAQ with the transmission #s in snap ring range. I may head back down to the dealer to see if it's within range and post here for posterity, but I'm no longer interested in buying it.

Yeah, it has been there since last summer. I remember at the time they had two (a 95 black one as well) that sold quickly but this one continues to sit. For the price they are asking get a newer one.

Yeah, it has been there since last summer. I remember at the time they had two (a 95 black one as well) that sold quickly but this one continues to sit. For the price they are asking get a newer one.

The black one was the dealer's own NSX, Terry Davison. He was talking to me about it, and said he wishes he hadn't sold it. I couldn't tell if he was being honest or just being a salesman and hyping the NSX.

Back