• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Auto seems to be pulling hard when stopped in gear.

ody

Experienced Member
I have a 92 NSX with an auto transmission. (yes I love it, no flames please)
Anyway, car is in excellent condition etc, runs out great, bla bla bla.
However when sitting at a stop light, the car is just itching to go.
aka, at what appears to be a normal idle 1000rpm, the car is pulling to try and take off. If I'm not carefull with the brake I'm going to smack into the back end of someone some day.

When the car is cold, the idle is of course just a tad higher, and there is even more pull.

This normal or something I should be looking into?
Torque converter?

Mine does the same (eager to go) unless I put the gear on neutral. Also auto.
ody said:
I have a 92 NSX with an auto transmission. (yes I love it, no flames please)
Anyway, car is in excellent condition etc, runs out great, bla bla bla.
However when sitting at a stop light, the car is just itching to go.
aka, at what appears to be a normal idle 1000rpm, the car is pulling to try and take off. If I'm not carefull with the brake I'm going to smack into the back end of someone some day.

When the car is cold, the idle is of course just a tad higher, and there is even more pull.

This normal or something I should be looking into?
Torque converter?

When I first got my 92 in 96, it had the same problem. I took it in and they replaced the themostat if I remember correctly - it's been a while. It has been fine ever since. I too was worried about slamming into a fender or wearing out brake pads often. Should be at 750 RPM...:cool:

Faulty termostat. How can that be? Did you get any indication that the thermostat is faulty?
painlus said:
When I first got my 92 in 96, it had the same problem. I took it in and they replaced the themostat if I remember correctly - it's been a while. It has been fine ever since. I too was worried about slamming into a fender or wearing out brake pads often. Should be at 750 RPM...:cool:

If the engine is running too cold the ECU will run the engine at high idle, 1000 is too high, that's why it is trying to get away at a stop, your first priority is to figure out why it idles too high, (Idle air control valve,Themostat,throttle body ect ect)

Mine does that too when it's cold-- even when its warmed up it seems to really want to lung forward-- thought that was just the way the auto nsx's were.....:rolleyes:

On my way to work this morning, I paid more attention to the tach.
Cold, was just above 1000 rpm, and the "pull" is there of course.
But about 15 min into the drive (slow city traffic) the idle was just a tad under 1000rpm. (engine had warmed up of course)
I'd be hard pressed to say it was in the 750rpm range though.

I'll try cleaning the TB, see if that has any effect.
Also saw a thread about adjusting the idle.
May take a quick peek at that later this evening.
Some have suggested, check out for a vacume leak, or the one suggestion of the thermostat (which I think may have actually been a temp sensor)
Can go to checking into those too.
I'll report back with any findings.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Brad

I'm going to pick up my 95 NSX Auto this afternoon, new owner here. I'll keep an eye on the tach when I'm stopped to see what my revs are at startup and after the car is warmed up, and I'll post my results tomorrow.

Mario

Back