• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Autocross help

I've just started autocrossing Retread and could use some advise. I have a set of early model wheels (15-16). I plan to mount either Kuhmo or hoosier tires for autocrossing on these. I've been told the car will actually perform better with the smaller tires. Anyway what experience have you guys had with the various tires available for autocrossing, brand, model, size etc
Also does anyone know for sure what class a 95-t with headers and exhaust would run in. I assume the headers would take it out of A stock.

Thanks,

The headers do take you out of AS. The NSX isn't specifically listed in ASP, but it goes there under the catchall of "Sports cars over 2.0L not otherwise classified". You could also go to SM2. If your headers are the only catch, and you're only playing locally, I'd register for AS and just let the rest of your competitors know that you aren't totally legal and you'll change classes if they'd like. At this point, the headers will result in a speed increase of maybe .1 second on a typical autox course, and the NSX isn't competitive in AS to begin with.

If you're just starting, I'd recommend you stick with street tires for a while. Put some Azenis on the early wheels and start learning to drive. At this point, race tires will just cover up bad habits and cost a lot of money. Invest you money in seat time, not parts. Find out when the Evolution school is coming to town and make sure you take it.

The reason the smaller wheels are better is that you can lower the gearing with a short tire, which give's you better acceleration. In a car like the NSX, that can go very fast in 2nd, it is even more of an advantage since there's no way you will ever need to shift to 3rd, even with short tires.

Feel free to ask more questions. I've been autocrossing for 6 years now.

Dave,

What tire pressures do you recommend runing the stock A022's on 15/16's?

I haven't autocrossed the NSX yet, but I used to autocross a 240Z way back when. It was fairly nimble and easy to dance with through the cones on the tight courses.

In your experience, what could I expect from the NSX? Better on courses with longer straights? Not as responsive through slaloms or tight corners as say, a Miata or S2000?

Thanks,
Charles

Thanks for the advise. I autocrossed an Alfa spyder quite successfully back in the late 70 and early 80s so it's not like I have never done it it's just been awhile and I could use some refresher work. My biggest fear at this point is to complete the course with out a dnf and a clean run from there I'll get better. I autocrossed my 3rd gen RX7 a couple of time. It was a really greeat autocross car but very tail happy when the turbos spooled up in a corner. I checked the scca results site and notice most of the winners were running Kuhmos and most of the 2-5 place cars were running Hoosiers. Since the Kuhmos quite a bit less I think I'll try some of the victor racers. Any advise on size preference? Can I run 225/40/15 on the front and 245/40/16 on the rear? Is any one familiar with the school and autox being held in Granada MS this week end I plan to attend.

Dave, why do you say the NSX isn't competitive in AS?

PS; By the way .. hello everyone .... I'm shopping for a 97+ NSX for weekend drives and to run in AS. I've got a crazy notion it could compete!

Last edited:
rowr said:
Dave,

What tire pressures do you recommend runing the stock A022's on 15/16's?

I haven't autocrossed the NSX yet, but I used to autocross a 240Z way back when. It was fairly nimble and easy to dance with through the cones on the tight courses.

In your experience, what could I expect from the NSX? Better on courses with longer straights? Not as responsive through slaloms or tight corners as say, a Miata or S2000?

Thanks,
Charles

Start with the max recommended pressure for the tire, and then start tuning from there using shoe polish or a pyrometer. This isn't my advise for race tires, but street tires are usually so flimsy that a lot of pressure helps.

I've never autocrossed an NSX, but my gut feeling is that it isn't quite as good as a Miata or CRX in tight stuff, about on par in medium stuff (sweepers, etc.) and would kick ass on open stuff compared to the little cars. One thing is that 2nd gear is so tall that I imagine you will have a hard time staying in the sweet spot in a tight course.

tonyf said:
Since the Kuhmos quite a bit less I think I'll try some of the victor racers. Any advise on size preference? Can I run 225/40/15 on the front and 245/40/16 on the rear? Is any one familiar with the school and autox being held in Granada MS this week end I plan to attend.

The Kumhos that are kicking ass are the Ecsta V710. They are 2 generations newer than the Victoracer.

Dave Hardy said:
It just isn't classed very competitively. The C4 (including the ZR1), the Evo and STi, and the Boxster S are all classified there and generally autox better than an NSX.
This issue has been discussed before - e.g. here . No need to start the discussion again - the NSX is of course competitive - it all depends on the driver. I have beaten a whole bunch of cars like Ferrari 360, 355, Porsche Boxsters etc. in a very tight Autocross at Hockenheim with my street tires (S-03) and ended 2nd behind a small race Renault Clio on race slicks.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I knew the VC710 was kuhmo's newest tire but I wasn't sure if it had adequate tread grooves to be legal in stock classes. It's been awhile since I raced but in the day the SCCA required a streetable tread design to be legal in stock classes. Of course I probable should run in street prepared since I have headers but in a local non regional point race no one will probably complain. I know certain cars are better suited to autox than others such as the Miata in d stock I think. But I won a regional winter championship once in an Alfa spyder when the new at that time RX7 were kicking every ones ass. In fact thats what caused a 20+ year love affair with the RX 7. Tha last of which I owned was a red 3rd gen twin turbo. (quick as hell in an autox). So even if the NSX is not the class darling I'm sure it can be competitive and fun in the right hands and feet.

tonyf said:
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I knew the VC710 was kuhmo's newest tire but I wasn't sure if it had adequate tread grooves to be legal in stock classes...

then

So even if the NSX is not the class darling I'm sure it can be competitive and fun in the right hands and feet.

The 710 is legal in stock. The only requirement is that it be DOT approved, which it is, and that it not be on the exclusion list, which it isn't.

It will undoubtedly be fun, and will certainly competitive enough to win in most local arenas. When you start talking about national competition though, the calibre of driving is so high that having the car for the class is part of the game, and unfortunately the NSX isn't the car for the class.

Back