• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Automatic car washes

Very close to purchasing a gen 2 NSX as a daily driver. Given it is a daily driver I would want to be able to take it through an automatic car wash that pulls cars through with a wheel conveyor. Are there any issues with these car washes and the gen 2 NSX?

Good luck with the purchase! Unfortunately the manual says not to use an automated car wash.

8e7839ffdc9b1598fa33776984889593.jpg

Ryan - Thanks for the reply and info. I’ve also heard the car has a “car wash mode” for use I think when using a conveyor driven car wash. Given i’ve heard this and have heard similar to your reply I was curious what experiences gen 2 owners have had. Last thing I want is to have to hand wash a daily driver living in KC in the winter. Thanks again for the reply!

I used to take mine through the Laser Car Wash. You drive in and it sprays soap and water. Nothing else touches the car. I would use it two to three times a month and hand wash once a month.

I’ve also heard the car has a “car wash mode” for use I think when using a conveyor driven car wash.

So the manual does mention the car wash mode, which suggests that it's okay to use an automatic car wash. Contradictory information. Nice.

04cc3cf44f81e93e8df011cd38dc89f8.jpg

I used to take mine through the Laser Car Wash. You drive in and it sprays soap and water. Nothing else touches the car. I would use it two to three times a month and hand wash once a month.

Hopefully Honda won't find out you were doing this to your car, or they may want their payout back!:devilish:

Hopefully Honda won't find out you were doing this to your car, or they may want their payout back!:devilish:

Why? It's just water and soap being sprayed on the car. I did it dozens of times with no ill effects. Are you surprised that the special Andaro paint didn't get rinsed off? :D

These laser washes seem to work quite well. When I wash my car I only use soap on the body of the car. I don't want any water getting on the coils, and the roof is off all summer. I use Optimum No Rinse on the top of the car, and have a Carbrella to keep any water from finding it's way into the interior. I don't mind washing cars by hand, especially the NSX!

I've been hearing about the Laser Wash from Rob since I first joined Prime. Every time I'm in Boynton Beach visiting my parents I want to go see this place, which for me is a "Legend of NSX Prime" LOL.

I've been hearing about the Laser Wash from Rob since I first joined Prime. Every time I'm in Boynton Beach visiting my parents I want to go see this place, which for me is a "Legend of NSX Prime" LOL.

Almost every gas station here has one. Before I go into it, I spray my wheels with degreaser. Works great and I can listen to my 80's music without breaking a sweat.

And the next time you're in "God's waiting room" please give me a call. I'd love to meet up for a cigar/coffee if you have free time. Capiche!

Last edited:
That's Hugh's car. I don't think he's ever hand washed it since I've known him.

When the rinse cycle starts, the spray bar rubs on the front end. Is the car too far forward, or is that a defect in the wash system? I'd be a little upset seeing it scrape along the front bumper cover.

I do like the touchless car washes. They don't seem as effective against bugs, bird doo and sap, but for a weekly clean I use them.

When the rinse cycle starts, the spray bar rubs on the front end. Is the car too far forward, or is that a defect in the wash system? I'd be a little upset seeing it scrape along the front bumper cover.

I do like the touchless car washes. They don't seem as effective against bugs, bird doo and sap, but for a weekly clean I use them.

He may have pulled too far forward, but I can assure you it has never once touched any of my cars.

I agree that it's not effective at baked on shit, that's why I give a quick spray of bug remover before I drive into the wash.

Last edited:
When a car is serviced at the dealership, they sometimes wash and clean it before returning the vehicle to the customer.
I have seen an in-house automatic car wash at the dealership and do not recall seeing a hand wash area. It would be interesting to see how they wash Gen 2 models.

Optimum no-rinse, bucket, and microfiber towels. It's simple, will do a better job, and will be easier on your car's finish than ANY car wash.

Optimum no-rinse, bucket, and microfiber towels. It's simple, will do a better job, and will be easier on your car's finish than ANY car wash.

This stuff does work great. I always use it on the upper parts of the car so no water gets on the engine. If the lower portion has more grime, I use soap and a mitt, rinse and dry with a master blaster.

I see my famous Laser Wash video has made an appearance. Yes, I did pull up a few millimeters further than I should have. However this little error on my part demonstrates how wonderful the Laser Wash is. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to spend hours using some overpriced bullshit suite of "detailing products" to wash your damn car because 5 minutes into your next drive it's filthier than the spandex hot pants belonging to a busy Asian hooker in Bangkok during Fleet Week. (Ask me how I know this) If you want something all nice and shiny and pretty buy a die cast. If you're actually someone who appreciates driving an awesome car, just drive the damn thing and Laser Wash it every once in a while. "Detailing" a car makes about as much sense as detailing your rectum.

prime and hugh are back!!!!

Just wanted to report that the Zero made it through a touchless car wash machine today unscathed. It was not the Laser Wash style like in Hugh's video- it had the foot pad you have to drive onto to line up the system. That pad has a guardrail that is quite close to the ride height of the car. I inched up to it very slowly and planned to back away if I felt any resistance from the air dam. Thankfully, even at my NSX-R lowered height, it cleared...barely. Any lower and that thing would have scraped the undercarriage- other owners should be very careful if lowered. There was no issue with damage or danger to my wheel lips though.

My car is sealed with Optiseal and it has a coat of Turtle Wax Ice on top of that so the dirt rinsed off very cleanly. Tons of beading on the panels. I sprayed the wheels with P21S before going in and they came out decently clean, but the Type-S style really needs a wheel brush, as there are a lot of nooks and crannies. The Endless MX72+ brake compound washes off pretty easily.

The rear glass completely fogged up on account of the NSX-R engine cover. While the Davis Design coil guard worked perfectly (not even a drop on the rear head), it dumps the water right into the rear header. It was hilarious to see the clouds of steam rising up through the engine cover mesh. :)

It's usually much too cold in Denver to hand wash the car during the winter and the self-wash stations have no drying option, so these touchless washes might be my go-to until it warms up.

Back