• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Automatic Transmission Clutch Upgrade

Hi all,

I have had my 1993 NSX Automatic Coupe with no papers taken apart for repainting. It is now a nice shade of red and it has come at me with several surprises. A long list of modifications done by previous owners, hidden from prying eyes, with no records supplied.

As far as I can figure out, someone has tweaked the engine, meddled with the suspension a little and fixed in Type R strut bars in front. I was also told that the car shifts better than a newer model and was informed that the automatic clutch for the 4 speed automatic was not of the usual type, and was a modified piece which made faster, smoother shifts than stock.

Any ideas who might be responsible for the improved performance and who I would be looking to for replacement parts for the automatic clutch?

Thanks in advance.

Perhaps the trans was rebuilt by Level 10 in New jersey (see link). They re-build auto trans with improved performance and that can handle more horse power. I reserached them when my auto trans failed recently and I was considering their up-graded trans rebuild. See the links below for more info:

http://www.levelten.com/

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142479

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397057&highlight=Level+Upgraded+Transmissions

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=613883&highlight=Level+Transmissions

The only question I have is the Level 10 receive some bad press in the Supra forums. Bay&Sac recently had Level 10 re-build his auto trans for his turbo-charged NSX. However, he had not driven the car yet when we communicated afrew weeks ago.

Good luck,

Mario

It appears that these guys also work with Torque Converters off the NSX.

http://www.jmousa.com/us/flash/frame/main/profile/index.html

Has anybody had any experience with them?

Thanks in advance.

I had them when my nsx was still auto and supercharged. I sold the ctsc and the jmo modified torque convertor to a friend who is still running it. It handled the power really well and shifts very smoothly. In fat my tuner reckons it is one of the best torque convertor that he had ever came across. HTH

automatic trans

21351-PR7-000 Cover, Torque Converter Case
$120.35 $86.65
2 26000-PR9-305 Converter Assembly, Torque
CONVERTER ASSY., TORQUE

$3,990.00 $2,872.80
3 26251-PR7-000 Plate, Drive
$265.97 $191.50
4 90023-PA9-000 Bolt, Special
$6.75 $4.86
5 90429-PC6-900 Washer (40X86X2)
$26.13 $18.81
6 91316-PR9-003 O-Ring (33X1.9) (Arai)
$2.83 $2.04
7 95701-06012-08 Bolt, Flange (6X12)
$1.28 $0.92
8 95701-06014-08 Bolt, Flange (6X14)
$1.17 $0.84

i'm about to have some first hand experience with this.
hopefully will have my spare auto trans palletized and strapped down and sent to level 10 next week. tried to do this for the last 2-3 months but just moved to atlanta and dealing with new home
found a remanufactured auto from acura for around $4500 but it was for 1995 not a '94
pat gave me a total price of $3298 for a full rebuild including shipping to/from atlanta
that's less than a torque converter alone. pat splits your torque converter and replaces all internals with parts fabricated for him, supposedly heavier duty than stock
he said the torque converter is the culprit and the new converter will come apart and have the same issues
2-3 week turnaround time frame. stay tuned for updates.

transmission picked up in atlanta today by freight company and is on its way to level 10. total is $3448 including shipping both ways. tranny will be delivered to eiffel's nsx repair in marietta for installation. level 10 says it should be back in less than two weeks. comes with a 1 year warranty.
stay tuned for updates. wish me luck.

automatic tranny

thanks! i'll keep you updated on all aspects of this experience.

rog

major setback. pat from level 10 called this afternoon. my spare transmission i sent to him has damaged parts. i now have to take my nsx to eiffel in atlanta and have him pull it and send to level 10. this will set us back by two weeks.

unfortunately, no. Eiffel has an nsx on the rack waiting for parts for a manual tranny and he won't take mine in until that one is complete.
just got off the phone with him and mine goes in on Wednesday, jan 9. pulling my transmission and sending it to level 10 which takes 7-10 days and then approximately a week to rebuild and then 7-10 days back to me. Eiffel says it takes 1 day to reinstall .
also having him install my tein adjustable shocks and realign it and should be ready to go. hopefully i'll have it on the road by the second week of February. level 10 is also rebuilding my spare torque converter which i'll be listing on prime.

i'll post next week with pics.

stay tuned!

rog

vehicle flatbedded to Eiffel last Wednesday. transmission removed yesterday, strapped to the pallet and awaiting level 10's transportation to pick it up. found several items that need to be addressed while under the vehicle. one shock is leaking although it only has a few thousand miles on it. replaced all four a few years ago.
all shocks and springs are being replaced with tein adjustable units.
pan gasket leaking
power steering unit needs rebuilding
adjust valves
one cv boot leaking
replace fuel filter
left rear outer tie rod leaking

Eiffel just told me he has zanardi #2 in for a ppi before going to a new owner

sent me a photo and it's beautiful.

stay tuned

Jumping on this thread, as I'm going to be in the same boat. My S Zero project is probably going to have to live with the auto for a few seasons before I can do the 6-speed swap, so I'm looking into ways to keep my 137k mile trans going. Good news is that the car appears to have had its atf changed at the proper intervals over its whole life. Current fluid was changed at 135k. I'm thinking about changing the solenoids, since they can be accessed without opening up the case. Does that sound like a good plan? Car shifts a little harsh between gears, but runs smoothly.

Following along.. my 92 with 176k has unknown work done and considering supercharging later on down the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

tranny update

got a call from level 10. transmission arrived and is disassembeled. all necessary parts to make the repair are in good condition and transmission should be fully repaired and sent back to me next week. i'm also having the spare torque converter opened and updated to race specs. i'll be selling it on prime when it's returned.
Eiffel called me and notified me that he found several items needing to be addressed. my eps is on its way to d1guy in miss.
also needs valves adjusted, oil pan gasket replaced due to leaks, one rear boot leaking, tie rod end leaking, flush abs, change oil, fuel filter...
my initial expense starting out at $1587 for tranny removal and replacement and rebuild at level 10 for $3500
just turned in to over $14k. not at all what I was expecting.

also, I changed my atf fluid every 6k miles. pat said it wouldn't matter if i changed it every week, the torque converter would still come apart and cause the problems we're all experiencing with slipping transmissions. it's the material that it's made of.

also, I changed my atf fluid every 6k miles. pat said it wouldn't matter if i changed it every week, the torque converter would still come apart and cause the problems we're all experiencing with slipping transmissions. it's the material that it's made of.

Thanks for the info. Luckily, I'm not getting any slipping...yet. Just harsh shifting when the trans is cold. I'm going to replace all of the solenoids to see if that makes it any better.

transmission update

Thanks for the info. Luckily, I'm not getting any slipping...yet. Just harsh shifting when the trans is cold. I'm going to re

transmission arrived back in atlanta yesterday from level 10. pat said as he suspected, the torque converter had come apart and first and second gear clutch packs had disintegrated.
Eiffel is installing it as i'm writing this.
he installed the new tein shocks yesterday and removed the eps rack and sent to matt at nsxrackrepair. I purchased a later model rebuilt unit with less than 20k miles on it and sold my old unit to him. being shipped out today.tuned for more updates

Eiffel also found a missing bolt on the passenger side motor mount and the other bolt loose. he had to order a control arm, a tie rod, found the rear main seal leaking...

this repair is really getting expensive.

stay tuned for more updates!

Back