• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

b&b exhuast?

The "cats" connecting pipes are reversed on the picture. I wonder if they know that...lol

no offense but the exhaust looks pretty janky... not to mention the name is a bit silly... :redface:

you wanna buy headers? simple.BUY CANTRELL HEADERS, you wanna see come over, I just put them on before i went to mex. they make the most power period, come on quit looking at other stuff!!!!!!! LOL:biggrin: :confused:

I had a b&b on my car for a while but took it off because horrible resonating around 3k rpm. In fairness the car had about 12k miles on it when I bought and the muffler was on the car when I bought.

I don't know if a new one does this or not.

hope this helps.

Not sure about the NSX application, but B&B makes great exhausts for Bimmers. They have for a long time.

Last edited:
jason,this is your inner voice speaking,buy cantrell headers
:biggrin:

Will..Ya the cAntrell really looks impressive as far as gains, so I guess they would be the best with my GM V3. I was thinking of going SOS headers but now Cantrell looks like the way I will probably go

These were originally marketed by RM Racing in Pheonix. The exhaust does drown, as mentioend above and I sold mine many years ago. I have had the RM Headers(B&B) for 7 years with no issue. They are not quite as nice as Comptech, but non the less, have been very reliable for me. I have them installed with a Tubi now and really like the sound.

I recently did a Cantrell header install and they are very nice, but have an small issue with the rear wiring harness that they have made too short by about 5 inches, I extended it myself fairly easily, just nice to know going in:).

I have discussed this with SoS and they are working with Cantrell to get this corrected. Seems the 02 sensor is further away from the connector on these then other brands. The SoS headers use the same length 02 sensor wiring harness extension and are fine.

HTH,
LarryB

These were originally marketed by RM Racing in Pheonix. The exhaust does drown, as mentioend above and I sold mine many years ago. I have had the RM Headers(B&B) for 7 years with no issue. They are not quite as nice as Comptech, but non the less, have been very reliable for me. I have them installed with a Tubi now and really like the sound.

I recently did a Cantrell header install and they are very nice, but have an small issue with the rear wiring harness that they have made too short by about 5 inches, I extended it myself fairly easily, just nice to know going in:).

I have discussed this with SoS and they are working with Cantrell to get this corrected. Seems the 02 sensor is further away from the connector on these then other brands. The SoS headers use the same length 02 sensor wiring harness extension and are fine.

HTH,
LarryB

Yup, Larry tell 'em how you have to yank the header to change the O2 sensor, b/c the RM/B&B places it facing the forward firewall :rolleyes:
Nice sound and good bang for the buck though (their exhaust has been known to split the can after a few yrs too).

Jon

I've heard stock, Taitec, Comptech, ARK, Tubi and many other exhausts at two NSXPO's, at dozens of smaller NSX events and on NSX's in my shop.

So far the B&B with headers (I have DC Sport) is my favorite sounding NSX exhaust.
One man's drone is another man's symphony.

To me, it's is best sounding of the loud exhausts throughout the tonal scale. Many people in other cars have stopped me and said "man that sounds nice".

My CTSC blew out my 8 year+ old B&B which I am getting repaired by them, with new parts for about 1/2 the price of new unit. If I was the original purchaser it would be for FREE. They have a great guarantee.

B&B also make great sounding Porsche, Corvette and S2000 exhausts that I have heard in person. MEAN sounding stuff. I like.:biggrin:

I am waiting to hear a GT-One (esp.Version 4) in person.

I have had the B&B exhaust (with OEM headers) for several years now on my '91 and I like the tone ..even when it's just idling... but it's a little louder than I would have preferred (especially at around 2000 RPM) but I do a lot of highway driving and it's quieter enough at 2800 RPM cruizing that I can still hear my music.

Part of the reason I went B&B was that I liked the look of the DTM tips...although I had to rotate the muffler and bend the hangers to get the tips looking like I wanted. I was seriously looking at headers last year but I've heard that adding headers (any brand) will make them even louder so I've held off.

To put things into perspective, I'm 55. My wife (also 55) hates the muffler and thinks I've ruined the car .. but my 21 year old car nut son has loved them from day 1 (he has a Borla on his Probe GT).

I've had three NSX's....and have had three RM exhaust as well. ...with a combo of comptech header, I love it!!!! If you want it, hear a few exhaust first and make your mind from there.

I have the B&B headers and exhaust. Back in the day (mid-late 90s) when RM was selling them they were considered to be one of the better (best?) NSX header/exhaust setups in terms of HP gain...consistantly verified by group dyno days on normally-aspirated engines. I have the impression their high-flow design produces similar results on boosted applications (I have CTSC).

If you're looking at just the headers I wouldn't worry about the sound complaints/joys as the exhaust is really what determines the sound. The pros of the headers is that I've not heard negative reports of their longevity and they obviously flow well/fine. The possible cons are that they use a "slip" joint instead of a "ball seat socket" joint and the O2 sensor placement that requires header removal to replace (TurboLexus' post is the first time I've heard of this).

If you're looking at the B&B exhaust they're great except for or especially because of the noise, depending on your preference. The sound was one of the things I initially liked about them...but the noise is starting to wear on me...and can be irritating when your crusing speed happens to be in the drone zone (3300-37000 RPM in my case). As with many performance exhausts it gets louder with age as packing materials (like stainless steel wool or whatever is used) degrade. I'm sending my exhaust in to be rebuilt (see next paragraph) and they sound willing to make some modifications to the muffler to reduce noise/drone while doing so...so I have to think that if you're ordering direct from them you might be able to request something similar for a new exhaust.

My B&B exhaust has a few small holes from corrosion at the ends of the cans as you can see here and is obviously about to form more. This actually highlights a possible "pro" of the B&B exhaust. Some explanation is obviously necessary to explain why this might be a good thing: 304 stainless WILL corrode eventually, especially so in an exhaust application...regardless of what any exhaust manufacturer tells you to the contrary. This is why 321/347 stainless (not 304) is used in exhaust applications for airplanes. It is also one of the reasons Chevy decided to go with a titanium exhaust for the Z06 instead of stainless. While many 304 stainless exhaust manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty against workmanship, most limit the time they warranty against corrosion. B&B's warranty is largely opposite in that the warranty against corrision is lifetime and the workmanship/materials is time-limited. So, if you plan to own the NSX long enough it's possible (assuming they live up to the warranty) that when it corrodes after 10 years you'll be able to get it rebuilt for the cost of shipping. If you don't plan to own your NSX that long, the next owner will have the option to send it into B&B to be rebuilt for $400-600 plus cost of shipping...which is less than a new exhaust but the result is similar. I'm not sure if/how many other manufacturers offer this rebuild option.

The B&B headers have the o2 sensor bung in a single tube instead of at the collector. I think it is better to sense the oxygen at the collector. I have the B&B exhaust and have the typical drone at 2000 rpm, but I usually am not cruising at that rpm for any length of time. I bought the DC headers form Dali racing for only 999 for polished stainless steel. The drawback is the bellows attached to the collector which tends to crack...especially on FI cars. Most NA cars can go 50k miles without problems though. DC and Comptech are the only Carb legal headers for California, so if you buy a different brand, it could limit the resale of the car to outside California unless you keep the stock headers.

I had a B&B on a 93RSA it split in the HAZ around the welds due to a poor choice of materials. Run of the mill 304 isn't the best choice for mufflers as it is prone to IGA corrosion. B&B did replace it after I proved the cause. At first they told me it was a mechanical failure induced by a poor installation. I had to take micro sections and send proof of the actual failure mechanism to get the new muffler.

Several Porsche people could not live with the drone of the B&B.

I have the old RM exhaust with DC Sport headers and the combo sounds awesome. Nothing sounds quite like it, especially on the downshift.

HTH,
LarryB

Thanks Larry. You did a wonderful job. Love the sound of the JGTC mated with the Cantrell headers. For the price and overall power feel you cant go wrong (besides the O2 sensor extensions).
My car originally had a B&B a few years back. Seems the internals or baffles rotted out and cause a metal tangy sound. i had to replace them. Before that when they were in working condition they sounded nice and deep. Unfortunately i never ran teh ehaders. I did use a set of headers on my old 993TT and they were a prestine fit. The sound they produced was amazing.

I have had both exhaust and headers installed since 1997 without problem.
It is loud, but not oppressive.
One advantage is that the header/exhaust outlet/inlet are 3"". Good flow if you are FI. I had to have test pipes custom fabricated to match; nothing on the market was large enough.

There have been reports of excess heat production from the exhaust with some melting of rear valance. Baffles have also failed. These were some years ago and I am not familar with the current state of affairs.

The tips are very nice.

Back