• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Back to the books.

After high school my whole life slid down hill, everything that could...went wrong. shortly after I went to work at an oil change shop for a year an a half then decided to go back to school to upgrade some of my classes, ( jan 2010 ) i dont want to be in the work cycle, living pay check to pay check. I was making enough to pay bills, and just enough to get by days. But not much in terms of savings for an nsx :'( ........

I am near the end of getting better high school marks, im just not sure what to take, im turning 21 in feb and stressing out feeling like its the end of the world any advice? Thanks

Mechanics
Mechanical Engineering
Auto Body
Information Technology

Don't stop moving forward....even if you can only take one class per semester. I went this way for a long time and now I have a Masters Degree . Don't stop

be business/profession/career goal oriented....not object oriented.Many wealthy people I know strived to succeed at what they were doing sacrificing alot of material things early on to achieve success.Luck certainly plays a part.Personaly looking back on all my years of schooling/training I did not think about what slick car or fancy watch I could afford after I was done..Then at some point in your life( varies alot) you don't have to worry about scraping pennies together,to afford all the trappings of life....so my point is be less worried about toys now and concentrate on diving into one or two of your choices.

be business/profession/career goal oriented....not object oriented.Many wealthy people I know strived to succeed at what they were doing sacrificing alot of material things early on to achieve success.Luck certainly plays a part. Personally looking back on all my years of schooling/training I did not think about what slick car or fancy watch I could afford after I was done..Then at some point in your life( varies a lot) you don't have to worry about scraping pennies together,to afford all the trappings of life....so my point is be less worried about toys now and concentrate on diving into one or two of your choices.

Agree with this point. Just focus on being successful, the money and toys end up coming later. With that said, it sucks not buying them for a decade but it is better in the end...

To your point on what to do next, find something that you are good at and enjoy at least a bit, then focus on building that knowledge. In your list you mention Auto Body and Mechanical Engineering (ME), that is quite a split and requires significantly different educational needs. One is a trade school and an apprenticeship while the other needs a four year college with associated costs. In my opinion, neither is better or worse, just different but they will take you down diverging paths.

There are a lot of great trade careers (e.g. auto body) that can make a decent coin, these could enable a cheaper school phase and quicker to earning but may have a ceiling for the average person.

On the other hand, a college degree can open up greater earning potential 10 years down the road but will require a high up-front cost and/or school loans that will be around for a while.

If it were me, I would evaluate what I wanted to do, factor in the cost of entry (school) and decide from there. Be realistic (meaning use the average) and do some research on what the salary is for the different career options. As an example, I have a lot of good friends that graduated with me 10 years ago in ME that make around 60-70K. They have good jobs and do interesting work but they are hitting their ceiling while still paying down 100K in school loans. I am not being negative about their career choices, simply providing a couple of data points to factor in.

Once you know what each career option makes, take your school costs and figure out what it will take to pay down and go from there.

Whatever you decide, make sure you put a lot of effort into it. You will end up much happier and healthier by succeeding (at least in my opinion) and success is usually driven by effort.

Kevin

Last edited:
Mechanic and auto body careers are tough on your physical health over time. You get paid to produce. You get injured or sick, no paycheck. You need to move up if you want to stay in that business long term. You think an NSX is expensive? Mechanics can spend more on their tools within 10 years than what a ME or IT degree can cost.

I got one degree at 25 and another at 35. The first degree helped me way more than the 2nd did, and I did it while working 2 jobs. You gotta want it.

yeah some of the things i want to take require different type of schooling. i wanted to become a mechanic originally..... but the only thing that is stopping me now is realizing that i might not want to do it for the rest of my life, and it does take quite a toll on your body after some time, thats why now im looking into other areas of study maybe an office job, cable guy, designing and building parts etc

I say go to school if you can financially afford to and have the time. The other jobs you mentioned can be your fall back plan if you feel school isn't for you. The good thing with the degree is you have more options once you graduate and if you are flexible, you can go into many different fields with a degree. To some employers just because you get a mechanical engineering degree, doesn't mean your limited to just mechanical engineering. You'll probably have to learn a completely different area of discipline once you get the job, but the degree will get you through the door.

Back