• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Bad buyer experiences, what are some of the horror stories when buying a used nsx?

I guess the nsx isn't an exotic car and we just bring them to exotic car meets so we feel out of place amongst others.

What Exotic car meets? Cars and Coffee? That's a meeting for everything. Drive your car to an exclusive Ferrari meet and see if your treated as one of their peers. I'm not new to the NSX. It is not an exotic. Sorry, I'm just cutting through the BS. I mean no offense by my comment.

OP, though it sounds like we are discouraging you from buying an NSX, there will likely be some initial costs you could incur no matter what year NSX you buy. But the best way to minimize those costs is to do your homework. As mentioned earlier, the Wiki is the best place to start. Rare cars have rare costs. If your budget is $40K, you should still be able to find nice well maintained examples with service records. And that would be a requirement for me.

My first NSX, a bone stock, well documented, one owner, 91 with 86K miles, needed a master slave cylinder replaced on the way home because it hadn't been driven for almost a year. All of that said, the maintenance requirements on an NSX are not much different than an Accord. It's just that the parts cost two to three times more. The same goes for my current NSX which is an 02. Considering that the NSX is an exotic (sorry davidf) it is very reliable and even those with turbo or supercharger mods will be reliable if installed properly and setup conservatively. You don't need to be making 6 figures to own an NSX. Only you can make the judgment as to whether or not you can afford one and everyone's financial and life situation is different. So if ownership is right for you, go find your NSX if that's what you want, drive it, enjoy it and when you are through with it, you'll likely not lose any money on it as long as you maintain it.

No it is not. Honda engineers did not design it as an exotic. It is a Honda.

Not to highjack this thread, while your opinion may be valid your statement is inaccurate. Honda engineers designed the NSX to compete with the exotics of the day, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche. Then built it out of exotic alloys and introduced new cutting edge assembly and design processes and technologies. All of Honda's early marketing materials and commercials were trying to sell it as the comfortable, reliable exotic that can be driven everyday. Plus it was expensive and rare. Since the NSX's introduction, there have been few cars designed and built with an all aluminum monocoque body. And those were built by Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche and Audi to name a few. Now was it a supercar? Honda never made that claim however, the media did. To me that is much more arguable.

And as far as exotic car meets, My NSX was a member of Capital Exotics Car Club in Washington, DC when I bought it and I was just invited to join a new local exotic car club to participate in meet ups and group drives/events. I think the exotic crowd fully accepts our cars as part of the club. Plus, many Lambo/Ferrari/McLaren etc..owners have owned or currently own NSXs. Some are members of this forum.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.... OP you came to the right place for info on the NSX and it looks like you are in the process of doing your homework to get to an informed decision. Good luck in your search and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
I just bought my 1991 a few months ago. I think I am at $2,000 spent before I get the car into Larry Bastanza for service. My NSX has 21,000 miles on it and is a rare find. Just sent the SRS module out to BrianK. I already did an exchange with the Climate Control unit with ScienceofSpeed (now working and waiting for my can of R12 to recharge the AC that is blowing cool air amazingly). I spent a lot of time on the console which was cracked (previous owner was an idiot). The service with Larry is going to be about $3 - $4,000. Here's a list of my first month:

Tires & Wheel Undenting - $1,000
Console and Climate Control - $250
Invisible Bra (3M Kit plus install) - $500
Trunk and Engine Compartment New Gas Struts - $150
Endless Parts from Acura Dealer - $250
EBAY Ash Tray Assembly - $150
OEM Floor Mats - $82

Services Coming Up:
Stereo Amp Repair
Timing Belt Service
ABS Service
Hose Service
60,000 Mile Service

This seems steep, however, this is an Acura so I hope once I get the car to where I want it it will stay there!

I would imagine each NSX is a little mystery. From what I hear the circuit boards all go bad. I'm still glad I got the car, however, I need some serious worry free drive time. Maybe in a few months!! Now I need to raise cash!!<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c92dbe85/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

where did you get oem floor mats for $82? they're $300 at sos,or $109 for the black zanardi mats.

I got them on EBAY. They may have been aftermarket. They were Black with a red border and say NSX on them in Red. They look good and came with the floor grommet for the driver's side. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ca8e290c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

where did you get oem floor mats for $82? they're $300 at sos,or $109 for the black zanardi mats.

That's what I was going to ask. I couldn't bare $300 for OEM so I went with Zanardi for $100.

What Exotic car meets? Cars and Coffee? That's a meeting for everything. Drive your car to an exclusive Ferrari meet and see if your treated as one of their peers. I'm not new to the NSX. It is not an exotic. Sorry, I'm just cutting through the BS. I mean no offense by my comment.
Please see below. Don't worry though brother. Your an nsx guy so I like ya already. No harm no foul.

Not to highjack this thread, while your opinion may be valid your statement is inaccurate. Honda engineers designed the NSX to compete with the exotics of the day, Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche. Then built it out of exotic alloys and introduced new cutting edge assembly and design processes and technologies. All of Honda's early marketing materials and commercials were trying to sell it as the comfortable, reliable exotic that can be driven everyday. Plus it was expensive and rare. Since the NSX's introduction, there have been few cars designed and built with an all aluminum monocoque body. And those were built by Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche and Audi to name a few. Now was it a supercar? Honda never made that claim however, the media did. To me that is much more arguable.

- - - Updated - - -

Please see below. Don't worry though brother. Your an nsx guy so I like ya already. No harm no foul.

To add to my originally quote which was stupidly posted. Yes, you do not need a 120,000 dollar salary to own a nsx. In California there is "some" truth to that though. Like say, if you have a mortgage, other toys or vehicles, boats, ect. Lost buckeye hit the nail on the head. The parts costs are insane and even a pristine condition nsx will still require stuff.
I nicknamed mine Christine because over the past few years of ownership I swore it was possessed by the devil. Just like my dog. I'd fix one thing, then another. Then another, and another. It never ends...

For example, I bought a Lotus Esprit last year ... I spent $4500 and have now a car that I can drive with confidence.

Hope you have a great experience Doc
I have found that British cars are the Sirens of the motor world. :smile:

Canadian owners from what I gather here are very very passionate about Oem cars. Like JD cross, he is in Canada. Or Bram the Canadian nsx prime president. I'd say listen to guys like these. They may seem harsh but they are only looking out for you in the long run...[

Ashely, did highlight some important points...and all he is trying to do is give some realistic expectation re maintenance cost
However, there two things I tell people:
- Keeps it OEM
- Ensure that maintenance is up to date.

The best Quote..."The cheapest NSX that you can buy, is the most expensive NSX you will own"

Bram

Last edited:
Canadian owners from what I gather here are very very passionate about Oem cars. Like JD cross, he is in Canada. Or Bram the Canadian nsx prime president. I'd say listen to guys like these. They may seem harsh but they are only looking out for you in the long run...[

Ashely, did highlight some important points...and all he is trying to do is give some realistic expectation re maintenance cost
However, there two thing I tell people:
- Keeps if OEM
- Ensure that maintenance is up to date.

The best Quote..."The cheapest NSX that you can buy, is the most expensive NSX you will to own"

Bram
Indeed sir! Bought mine for 16k and now I have a 45,000 dollar salvaged nsx.
To add to this. Make sure your first nsx you test drive is not all f'd up. Given the condition of my nsx I was so ready to walk away. That was, until I drove it..... After I drove it, Icould NOT walk away. It's as if the car screamed, save me! Please! Another note, I looked at many great condition nsx's at dealerships. They will not even hand you keys unless they run your credit report first.

I got them on EBAY. They may have been aftermarket. They were Black with a red border and say NSX on them in Red. They look good and came with the floor grommet for the driver's side. <script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/ca8e290c/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I think I got the same ones as you. There was a parts slip from an Acura dealer, in Arizona I think? I can't remember the exact state, but I do think they're genuine.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. The early NSX was a super car. In 91 there were only 2 other production cars that were faster, both were Porsches and cost from 100k to over 200k. The 91 NSX was also technologically way ahead of it's time.

I apologize to the OP for high jacking his thread. There are numerous other threads arguing the supercar or not and exotic or not argument.

So, in an attempt to bring this thread back on track, I looked up the initial maintenance/repair cost less any mods of both of my NSXs. My 91 was a pristine one owner car with 84K miles and all maintenance was up-to-date. On the way back home from purchasing it the master/slave went out. The parts and labor was $643. My 02 also had all maintenance up-to-date and the same thing happened, within the first few weeks the master/slave started leaking. Parts and labor was $592. Also the 02 fixed head lights had a very noticeable and annoying bounce (a common design quirk). The cost to repair that was $661. Both cars sat for several months before I purchased them (not unusual with rare toys) and the master/slave is a common item that deteriorates especially if it's near the end of its useful life. Your initial repair/maintenance costs after purchase is directly related to the previous owner's care and use of the car or lack there of. On both cars mine were minimal because I did my homework on the car and it's owner about the car's maintenance. Also you will find that if you drive the your NSX much a new set of rear tires per year is not uncommon. My tire wear seems to work out to two sets of rears to one set of fronts every two years or in some cases less. Also the NA1 NSX's require a valve adjustment every 15K miles. For some reason the NA2 is more liberal with the factory requiring the adjustment when you start hearing them tap. That may cost about $300 to $500. I hope this helps you.

Yeah, I guess I did'nt consider the high cost of Cali living. Probably twice of here in my neck of the Texas area.

- - - Updated - - -

To add to my originally quote which was stupidly posted. Yes, you do not need a 120,000 dollar salary to own a nsx. In California there is "some" truth to that though. Like say, if you have a mortgage, other toys or vehicles, boats, ect. Lost buckeye hit the nail on the head. The parts costs are insane and even a pristine condition nsx will still require stuff.
I nicknamed mine Christine because over the past few years of ownership I swore it was possessed by the devil. Just like my dog. I'd fix one thing, then another. Then another, and another. It never ends...

Yeah, I guess I did'nt consider the high cost of Cali living. Probably twice of here in my neck of the Texas area.
Hell yeah. I could live like a king in Texas. I remember when Florida used to be reasonable. Not much anymore.
Atlanta and Texas though your money goes a very long way. Your lucky.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL. Mine's name is Suzy, after the Phish song Suzy Greenberg: "Suzy's 'bout as faithful as a slot machine. Pays off once in a while, but then she robs you clean."
Yes those lyrics pretty much sums it up. But the reward for keeping these cars alive and well is worth it.

I've had my 1991 since 2012. Bought it from the original owner with 225,000 on the clock for $15K. It was loved, but driven very hard. Since then, I've replaced everything from the ABS to window regulators. Like many others have posted, Acura has a hefty profit margin on OEM parts. Right now, I'm deep into refurbishing the motor and have invested ~$6K for a clutch, WP, pulleys, gaskets and o-rings, etc. Hell, a new oil filler cap seal costs $26! We know it, we deal with it...and we love the fact that we can say we drive an NSX!

Regarding the whole exotic/non-exotic thing: The car is constructed largely of fairly exotic, or at least high-end materials...specialty aluminum alloy body panels, titanium rods, magnesium alloy valve covers and intake cover, forged aluminum suspension bits, etc. So in that sense at least the car is exotic. And the NSX is a relatively low production model that shares few parts with other models. So most parts were produced in much smaller numbers. Since the cost of development and tooling for those parts is spread across far fewer parts, the cost per part can be much higher than comparable parts on, say, an Accord. That's why an NSX center console panel, basically a piece of plastic trim with a nice overlay, runs $700 discounted.

Kenwould

Your fix list looks a lot like mine. I think if you take into account that any 20 year old car will need items replaced due to age/wear it's not so bad. We're lucky also to have Science of Speed and Dali Racing to get factory parts cheaper as well as aftermarket stuff that's sometimes better than factory.

Also it seems many NSX owners modify their cars. I have. My engine is stock, but have headers, exhaust, coilovers, NSX-R gearset, wheels, etc. That's where the real money went.

So when I have to fix the AC module I don't feel so bad. Cheap to me in comparison.

BTW for anyone interested. Leatherseats in Oklahoma City does great, inexpensive replacement seat covers for us. And you can customize them. You can do both seats for less than price of one Recaro or factory seat.

I've found that the longevity of your car goes hand in hand with how you drive it. I've owned 6-7 Nsx's and far from throwing $ away on gratuitous mods, I've never had a serious issue. That said you'll hear horror stories about even corollas if not well maintained and beaten on by previous owners.

No it is not. Honda engineers did not design it as an exotic. It is a Honda.

It all depends on your definition of exotic. IT IS AN EXOTIC, obviously some people need a coconut or an unreliable car to be exotic.

So guys.... All in all. When shopping for an old NSX 91-94 MY. What are the general rule of thumb to follow? I am not worry about high mileage car. Nor interior wear and tear. But how to spot previous accident damages? Cause sometimes older cars if the damage was repaired privately it won't show on carfax/carproof right?

Back