• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

barrett jackson auction

Edit. Wrong thread.

Rick Hendrick bought it. I watched in amazement when the hammer dropped.

1.2 million. That should set precedence for the demand

But the same guy paid $1.05 million for the first 2014 Corvette! The Corvette is a far cheaper and far higher production volume car. Thus getting only 14% more for the first NSX is not that impressive. Oh well, at least the auction result is respectable and not a major embarrassment.

You can watch the entire NSX portion of the auction here....

Good promo for the new NSX.

This auction result will be an excellent kickstart for the retail launch.

But the same guy paid $1.05 million for the first 2014 Corvette! The Corvette is a far cheaper and far higher production volume car. Thus getting only 14% more for the first NSX is not that impressive. Oh well, at least the auction result is respectable and not a major embarrassment.

You can watch the entire NSX portion of the auction here....

The new Corvette is selling pretty well and IMO the best iteration so far so I wouldn't view that as much as a bad thing.

The new Corvette is selling pretty well and IMO the best iteration so far so I wouldn't view that as much as a bad thing.

I don't see how it's a good thing for the rare NSX to be viewed as being the equal of a new mass produced $55,000 Corvette with respect to collectors. It makes the NSX appear to be hugely overpriced relative to its desirability.

Although perhaps what I'm really noticing is how these serial #1 style auctions are nearly meaningless. It seems like the majority of the higher end sports cars all sell for around $1 million regardless of the brand. The $1 million amount is a nice round number that creates a psychological barrier for most of the bidders. Plus past experience has taught the bidders that "nobody pays more than $1 million at these events". For example the first Ferrari 458 Speciale sold for $900,000.

Last edited:
December 20 (other thread):

it will be a marketing win for Acura is someone ponies up over $300,000 for it.

January 30:

But the same guy paid $1.05 million for the first 2014 Corvette! The Corvette is a far cheaper and far higher production volume car. Thus getting only 14% more for the first NSX is not that impressive.

Anything over $300,000 is a “win,” but $1,2 million “is not that impressive." Whatever.

Yes, I know your response: But the less expensive C7 Corvette fetched $1 million, so $1.2 million for the first NSX ain’t impressive in comparison. Yet, that’s not what you said beforehand. Beforehand, $300,000 was the benchmark.

Moreover, there are a considerable number of Corvette collectors who will pay top dollar for collectable vettes, and the original MSRP is entirely irrelevant. There are many, many fewer NSX collectors.

Furthermore:

For example the first Ferrari 458 Speciale sold for $900,000.

The first NSX fetched $300,000 more than the exalted, more expensive Ferrari 458 Speciale. In my humble opinion, that’s impressive. So why focus on the C7 price and downplay the NSX price – why not instead focus on the 458 price and praise the NSX outcome?

I don't see how it's a good thing for the rare NSX to be viewed as being the equal of a new mass produced $55,000 Corvette with respect to collectors. It makes the NSX appear to be hugely overpriced relative to its desirability.

You’re kidding, right? Was the Ferrari 458 Speciale viewed as “the equal” of, or less than, the mass produced C7 simply because the first one fetched $100,000 less at auction? Of course not.

IMHO, anyone that is not absolutely thrilled with the results of this auction has an agenda/ulterior motive. $1.2 f*ing million. That’s a fantastic outcome.

Although perhaps what I'm really noticing is how these serial #1 style auctions are nearly meaningless. It seems like the majority of the higher end sports cars all sell for around $1 million regardless of the brand. The $1 million amount is a nice round number that creates a psychological barrier for most of the bidders. Plus past experience has taught the bidders that "nobody pays more than $1 million at these events". For example the first Ferrari 458 Speciale sold for $900,000.

The 458 special for 900K and unproven NSX for 1.2 million. 300K is nothing to to snicker at. It should be self-explanatory for desire and "special interests" excitement.

Wow, looks like it's now that nobody pays more than 3 million at these events...

[LINK]
NSX auctioned for 7x's base price @ B-J (1.2mil @ 156k)
Corvette just auctioned for 50x's base price @ B-J (3.0mil @ 60k)

I really don't think you can infer values based on the BJ auction sale of charity cars. This is a tax write off for billionaire car dealers like Rick Hendrick muesums and foundations. Gives BJ credibility in the community for doing some good other than making a shxx load of money on the 1900+ cars they sold..with 10% buyers premium.
Interesting that Mary Bara GM CEO did a pitch for the Vett and just so happens Rich H steps up and bids 3.2mm for vin#1.

Jimmy aka sled driver

Back